forum

Mapping repetitive patterns

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
EchoInProgress
Good news: so I managed to find "Don't Say (osu! edit)" by Astromedik under the High Tea Music record label a while back, and I think this might be a song that I can realistically create my first ever beatmap for.

Bad news: the song has a LOT of repeating patterns, which means I have to figure out how to make the exact same pattern play differently over time as the song changes. Here's some of the patterns I can think of right now:
  1. The "lead" as it goes "ONE e and A two e AND a."
  2. The hi-hat in the start. It's just 1 and 3 over and over.
In short, how do I make the same patterns feel different without sacrificing accuracy to the song itself?
jxw
I'm not the best person to answer this but try making the same sounds with some variation, EX: Try maybe changing slider velocity, using different patterns, and try your best to be creative. This is one of the hardest things in mapping to deal with but it can be done and I believe in you!

(for your first maps I recommend short, simple songs and always finish what you start! I don't take my own advice most times and I always have like 50 unmapped songs. It sucks.)

Good luck on that!

Also, consistency is key.
Topic Starter
EchoInProgress

Toastyowo wrote:

I'm not the best person to answer this but try making the same sounds with some variation, EX: Try maybe changing slider velocity, using different patterns, and try your best to be creative. This is one of the hardest things in mapping to deal with but it can be done and I believe in you!

(for your first maps I recommend short, simple songs and always finish what you start! I don't take my own advice most times and I always have like 50 unmapped songs. It sucks.)

Good luck on that!
I'm not much for switching the slider velocity a ton in the middle of a song. It's tedious to do, even if you already have a plan, and more so if you want to experiment. That said, a little every now and then should be feasible, like shooting the velocity down for a quiet measure before the drop.

As for short and simple songs, don't worry! This one is only 2:03!
jxw
You're on the right track! You could vary slider velocity to create slider overlaps and more intuitive patters. Being consistent with something throughout the entire map makes everything so much easier and more fun for the player.

Thank you for replying!
Randomness64
i really dont recommend mapping repetetive songs as your first ones,you either has to make the map monotone or basically working super hard to make it intresting,try picking a song thats between chaotic and very calm,the middle rang is the best imho