forum

Transition of used fingers

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Angrod Rashkor
Hey,

*TLDR; any tips on making the transition from using differents fingers ? How to make it more fun ? How much time do you think It should take to go back to 3.8/4* stars from 3.2 stars ?*

I've been playing mania using left hand index, and right hand index-middle finger-ring finger and I'm starting to see my limits playing this way.
I'm around 3.8 / 4 stars difficulty and am regularly getting some pain on maps having 16 to 18 npm for a long duration.
Plus some patterns like trills are harder to hit and they shouldn't be this hard so it's frustrating spending more time learning patterns like this.
( the main reason I want to change is the pain though )

I started to transition to the more traditionnal index-middle finger on both hands and some patterns definitely feel better ( trills and chords / chordjacks, etc... mainly ).
The problem is that now i can barely play 3.2 stars. When before I used to full combo them, now I just complete them around 90%.
It's a bit frustrating to struggle on easy maps, but most importantly : it's really not fun to play at all.
But obviously it's not fun to not be able to play for long periods because of the pain.
So I think it's for the better.

But I'm having trouble having fun and playing for a long duration like this because the only difficulty is re-learning muscle memory.

Do you guys have suggestions to make the process more fun ?
Is there a better way to do this ?
How long do you think it would take to get back to where I was ?
Gamesnake7
Keep playing, you'll get used to it. The only time I would use my ring fingers is when I want to play 7k
pofnkul
It's going to take a while and it will most likely feel bad and grindy when you first try to make the change. I don't really know what else to say because there isn't really anyway to make it faster or more fun. It is really just a matter of play more. The only reals tips I can give is with mindset. I wouldn't compare your current scores with your pre switch scores. That will only demotivate you and make the transition slower.
midgy
look at them both as seperate for a while, if changing is annoying then you can still play how you used to as well, like on std i learnt to alt but i still single tap sometimes
Topic Starter
Angrod Rashkor
thanks for the tips guys !

I might just do another account to play this way so I won't feel guilty about messing with my stats and scores.
midgy

Angrod Rashkor wrote:

I might just do another account to play this way so I won't feel guilty about messing with my stats and scores.
multi-accounting is a bannable offense btw
Topic Starter
Angrod Rashkor

midgy wrote:

Angrod Rashkor wrote:

multi-accounting is a bannable offense btw
yeah I just saw that 😅
had no idea

well, that sucks
my poor precision will take a hit then...
Hoshimegu Mio
Just start playing 7K because you basically have most of the right hand already covered so you only need to work on your left hand.
Topic Starter
Angrod Rashkor

YyottaCat wrote:

Just start playing 7K because you basically have most of the right hand already covered so you only need to work on your left hand.
Yeah I've tried it a bit and it's fun but I'm still searching for a skin I like.
I play mania with Arrows and so far I feel like either arrows are not great for 7k, or I didn't find a good 7k arrow skin yet.

I still wanna get better at 4k though because it's different.
midgy

Angrod Rashkor wrote:

YyottaCat wrote:

Yeah I've tried it a bit and it's fun but I'm still searching for a skin I like.
I play mania with Arrows and so far I feel like either arrows are not great for 7k, or I didn't find a good 7k arrow skin yet.

most people who use arrows use orbs on 7k from what i've seen cause they're similarly bigger than bars

community/forums/topics/1523934?n=1 < i made one :P
Hoshimegu Mio

Angrod Rashkor wrote:

YyottaCat wrote:

I personally recommend bars for 7K. Arrows make 7K a bit harder to read.
Topic Starter
Angrod Rashkor

midgy wrote:

Angrod Rashkor wrote:

YyottaCat wrote:

most people who use arrows use orbs on 7k from what i've seen cause they're similarly bigger than bars

community/forums/topics/1523934?n=1 < i made one :P
Looks good ! I'll try it out !

YyottaCat wrote:

Angrod Rashkor wrote:

YyottaCat wrote:

I personally recommend bars for 7K. Arrows make 7K a bit harder to read.
yeah, seems hard to read arrows.
It'll be either bars or cricles