forum

How to do Streams!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ProrokC2
I can't do Streams! I mean game, not mapping! This is so freaking hard! Guys, are you have technice for this?
VoidnOwO
Hit z
Hit x
Repeat
puncia
Pr...pra...prac..practice..?
Rio-
Just Practice, It's not A Magic-Trick btw... Remember, "No Pain, No Gain."
- Marco -

BRBP wrote:

Hit z
Hit x
Repeat

Puncia wrote:

Pr...pra...prac..practice..?
Double quoting

see the speed of the stream and try to press z and x to that speed
Topic Starter
ProrokC2
I can't see speed of this, and this is problem
puncia
You can watch approaching circles and determine if you are overstreaming or not from it. You also have a score meter bar which does help letting you know what's your current streaming speed in relation to real map speed.
jesse1412
Zare
Play Count: 1,324

... I never get tired of this.
Akari-

ProrokC2 wrote:

I can't see speed of this, and this is problem
every beatmap lists its bpm and most of them are static, so you can use this info to 1) determine what speed you need to stream at and 2) practice on that speed so you can stream better at that bpm in the future
Zare
Yeah right, use the BPM displayed in song selection to guess the speed and hope to hit the streams, best advice :-)
not

Instead, just listen to the goddamn music and figure out the meter. Listen to the hitsounds and make sure they don't sound off. if they do, practice until they don't anymore
Akari-

Zarerion wrote:

Yeah right, use the BPM displayed in song selection to guess the speed and hope to hit the streams, best advice :-)
not

Instead, just listen to the goddamn music and figure out the meter. Listen to the hitsounds and make sure they don't sound off. if they do, practice until they don't anymore
i would assume reference points would help more with OP's situation rather than figuring out what to stream right away, since that's exactly what he said he can't do

eventually you do learn to read the music properly, yes, but the muscle memory of streaming X bpm is also needed
Almost

Akari- wrote:

muscle memory of streaming X bpm is also needed
I don't think such a thing exists since the faster your fingers move, the slower slower bpms feel.
Zare

Akari- wrote:

i would assume reference points would help more with OP's situation rather than figuring out what to stream right away, since that's exactly what he said he can't do
so he needs to learn it by practice, no way around that

Akari wrote:

eventually you do learn to read the music properly, yes, but the muscle memory of streaming X bpm is also needed
no. streaming itself needs some kind of muscle memory, but that isn't limited to a single BPM. You don't have to learn streaming for every new BPM all over again. If you can stream 120, you can also stream 150 and 180 assuming you have the speed and stamina to do so
Akari-

Zarerion wrote:

so he needs to learn it by practice, no way around that
i agree with this, practice is the best way to improve in OP's situation

Zarerion wrote:

no. streaming itself needs some kind of muscle memory, but that isn't limited to a single BPM. You don't have to learn streaming for every new BPM all over again. If you can stream 120, you can also stream 150 and 180 assuming you have the speed and stamina to do so
i don't think it works the other way around; if you can stream 180 it doesn't necessarily mean you can stream 150 and 120 equally well if you have less experience with those bpms
Zare

Akari- wrote:

Zarerion wrote:

i don't think it works the other way around; if you can stream 180 it doesn't necessarily mean you can stream 150 and 120 equally well if you have less experience with those bpms
Interesting point, I can't deny that. But from my experiences this usually means that the player in question is, even on higher BPMs, not really capable of proper streaming. It's more like, he mashes the keys with the rhythm in mind, but not really focusing on his finger's movements.
That's basically one of my problems which keeps making my fingers randomly stop moving in streams. I messed up my muscle memory when practicing streams which, ironically, made me actually worse at them. It still works for short streams, tho. So I think if you actually can stream any BPM, as in, make sure to control your fingers as perfect as possible according to the rhythm, you can do it on any other BPM as well (again, assuming you have the speed required to do that)
- Hourai -
practise practise and practise

hit C
hit V
hit C
hit V

repeat, fast, fast

you can test your streamspeed here
: http://puu.sh/4v8Zi.rar

and look at this

[HD] Osu! Stream techniques for dummies. ( Tutorial )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iZfWf99f8U
RaneFire

Akari- wrote:

every beatmap lists its bpm and most of them are static, so you can use this info to 1) determine what speed you need to stream at and 2) practice on that speed so you can stream better at that bpm in the future
I still recommend streaming to the music, instead of trying to guess the speed before the map starts. This is very counter-intuitive.

Zarerion wrote:

Akari- wrote:

Interesting point, I can't deny that. But from my experiences this usually means that the player in question is, even on higher BPMs, not really capable of proper streaming.
Unfortunately, the game doesn't really care how equal the time between your keypresses is, as long as they are within the hit window. All you need to do is "sort of" cover the right amount of notes in the time frame, even if your fingers are going "xz..zx..z..x..zx..z.x...zx..zx". - Visible on the hit error meter, even if they are all within the blue segment.

Despite popular belief on "speed" training, you really should master the technique of equal time between keypresses. It is much easier to transfer a very accurate RELAXED technique from slower speeds to higher speeds if you are having serious problems with speed. i.e. practice both in the same session. The reason for this is you learn to adopt your relaxed & accurate technique, instead of stiffening up, mashing keys and hoping for the best, while exhausting yourself in no time at all. Stamina comes with practice, but I would recommend taking many breaks between plays instead of exhausting yourself in one long session, also preventing any injuries.
Almost

RaneFire wrote:

Despite popular belief on "speed" training, you really should master the technique of equal time between keypresses. It is much easier to transfer a very accurate RELAXED technique from slower speeds to higher speeds if you are having serious problems with speed. i.e. practice both in the same session. The reason for this is you learn to adopt your relaxed & accurate technique, instead of stiffening up, mashing keys and hoping for the best, while exhausting yourself in no time at all. Stamina comes with practice, but I would recommend taking many breaks between plays instead of exhausting yourself in one long session, also preventing any injuries.
To add to this, don't just play high bpm songs for a long time because it can quickly screw up your low bpm streaming. Play both high and low and just switch between the 2 every now and then.
Sotodashi
The only problem is that I think that I've actually become worse at streaming after all this training.
Tekklorn
I'd say listen to the music and try your best to fit the rhythm, from personal experience trying to concentrate on getting to a certain speed more than trying to match the song usually results in messy or missed streams. Also pay attention to how fast the stream is moving, if your mouse falls behind or gets too far ahead then you're screwed as well :P
hinamizawan
didnt read the discussion here but can someone clarify me if putting the kb in a larger distance from my wrist I do get a better boost in streaming than in a smaller distance? sorry if my sentence didnt make much sense my english skills are bad
RaneFire

makkura wrote:

didnt read the discussion here but can someone clarify me if putting the kb in a larger distance from my wrist I do get a better boost in streaming than in a smaller distance? sorry if my sentence didnt make much sense my english skills are bad
Not really, it's unique to each individual (different fingers) or specific to your setup (desk height, chair height etc.)
Basically find out what works best. It's mostly intuitive and you shouldn't have to force yourself to do something unless the results are clearly beneficial from the start.