forum

Friends in scoreboard [added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Yoshi348
I already noticed on a few maps that in the scoreboard during actual gameplay it highlights your friends on the scoreboard if they happen to be one of the ones that are already visible. It got me thinking that it might be nice for competing with your friends if the scoreboard showed their scores even outside the top 40. I know there's already the special case of showing your own best score, so there's already help towards implementing it. Of course, there's some other issues. If you have a lot of friends it could be pretty crowded, so perhaps limit it to the top X friends, and/or ones with a lower score than your highest. It would perhaps encourage people to spam friend the top players, but as far as I know there's no real way to tell if someone has friended you unless you stumble upon their profile and therefore no real annoyance or actual harm to being spammed with one-way friendships. It may or may not need to be an option, if quite a few people think they'd want it the old way. It seems like a practical implementation with my novice programming knowledge, but you never can tell sometimes.

The other idea is a friend score board toggle the same way there's a local and global toggle, but that sounds like it'd be tougher to implement.
Kitsunemimi
But then what would happen if you wanted to see #40-#36? If we had other friends then we wouldn't be able to fully see them. I personaly don't care about my friend's score because I can just talk to them about it. I'd rather see all those last 5 people on the end of the scoreboard (including that ?? that's actually 40 which still isn't resolved :/ ).
anonymous_old
Meh, as-is is nice. Most scores are pretty close to each other anyway, so how does it matter?

I can understand for maps where scores are very different, though.
Gemi
I actually had a good suggestion for this one, which has been forgotten and burried a long time ago due to inactivity.

Basically no one needs to see many spots in front of you, they are next to each other anyway. What you are interested in are:

1) What your personal score is, so you can try to beat it
2) What the next highest score compared to your current score is, so you can try to raise ranks
3) What the #1 score is, so you can try to beat it if you are good enough (and see what the realistic maximum score for the map is)

Why would I want to see #1, #36, #37, #38, #39 and #40 as it is currently? No reason for the #36-#39 scores before I've gotten past the #40 score. So you should only have the three boxes mentioned in the above list. Mixing friends into that might get messy as you could potentially have friended all of the 40 players who have taken the top 40 places, so I don't think that's a feasible thing to add even if it is a nice idea.
anonymous_old

Gemi wrote:

I actually had a good suggestion for this one, which has been forgotten and burried a long time ago due to inactivity.

Basically no one needs to see many spots in front of you, they are next to each other anyway. What you are interested in are:

1) What your personal score is, so you can try to beat it
2) What the next highest score compared to your current score is, so you can try to raise ranks
3) What the #1 score is, so you can try to beat it if you are good enough (and see what the realistic maximum score for the map is)

Why would I want to see #1, #36, #37, #38, #39 and #40 as it is currently? No reason for the #36-#39 scores before I've gotten past the #40 score. So you should only have the three boxes mentioned in the above list. Mixing friends into that might get messy as you could potentially have friended all of the 40 players who have taken the top 40 places, so I don't think that's a feasible thing to add even if it is a nice idea.
I kinda like your idea, but how it is currently matches with most games I've seen, and thus players are more used to seeing and reading that kind of scoreboard.
Gemi

strager wrote:

I kinda like your idea, but how it is currently matches with most games I've seen, and thus players are more used to seeing and reading that kind of scoreboard.
What does it matter if it's something that "other games do" if there is a better way to do it? :) Besides, I don't think this is a feature where it matters at all if you are used to it one way or not. Input methods etc are things where that matters.
Topic Starter
Yoshi348
Newer songs have scoreboards with big jumps between some of the top 40, as do many of the CtB maps. When taiko is officially score reset that'll be a big thing too. It's only the osu! maps that have been around for at least about a couple weeks where it's a solid block of people with only a few points seperating them.
TheVileOne
4 year old topic. Finally added.

4 yr old necro FTW!