forum

Is it really that hard to map house music or 130 BPM songs in general?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Wizzmane
I've been really getting into house music recently (sorry for my bad taste in music) and I really think that 130 BPM songs are in a really unfortunate spot to try adding difficulty on especially on streams. Either they're going to be mapped too fast or too slow or just overmap it with jumps. That's just probably one of the reasons I don't see house music so often in osu but please tell me more about it
WitherMite
depends on the song, some 130bpm songs can be mapped as if they were 260bpm, just without any of the 1/4, others dont have enough intense 1/4 to support that.

Having unique sliders with varying SV to fit the sounds they represent could be a good way to show intensity in songs with slower rhythms

as for mania, don't feel pressured to raise the map's difficulty if you can't. just be very deliberate about how your patterns feel to play and try to get it to really capture the music. beatmapsets/884508#mania/1848792 is a cool example of a fun lower star map.

check out other maps at that bpm range, see how they handle it.

heres a search for maps with bpm that house is usually at.
beatmapsets?q=bpm%3E114%20bpm%3C131
AnimeStyle
The thing with house music is that it's very repetitive and a lot of mappers generally dislike songs that don't offer much variety. Also those songs usually are pretty long (for osu standards) and also have low BPM. If you combine all those factors together -> most mappers don't care for house.

Don't let that discourage you tho, I've always been mapping stuff that isn't generally "osu music" and I've been doing just fine. As long as you put some actual effort in and don't get discouraged easily you can rank p much anything.
MrMcMikey22
I think that having very easy difficulties on this kind of bpm would fit very well in my opinion, especially for a super relaxing song. It may be very easy, but it'll definetly give you a bit of a warm-up or if you wanna play, but if your hands are pretty tired then that could be the ideal choice I think..