forum

Any tips for improving this map?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
00H51
Hi !
I just "Finished" my 2nd map and would like to hear player feedback and what I could improve on. I don't intend to rank this one, just want know the mistakes I made and how I can improve it.

The map : beatmapsets/1707879#osu/3489799
xKongou
if you're looking for a player's opinion on this sub-forum, your chance of getting one would died out because players are next-to never touched the sub-forums (more likely mapping discussions)

i can be one as a player perspective (though i'm more to mappers actually)
[[[[[[
the map's timing is wrong, the bpm should be 165, the offset should be 20? and the time signature should be 4/4 (do NOT turn the "move already place note when changing bpm or offset" on IT WILL DESTROY YOUR MAP, select all of the objects and maunualy snap it to the metronome is hard but not as hard as fixing a map destroyed by this option (real), you will also need to change the green line so that it fits the metronome too but it's there's not much of them in the map so that's not too bad)
xKongou

dPeace wrote:

the map's timing is wrong, the bpm should be 165, the offset should be 20? and the time signature should be 4/4 (do NOT turn the "move already place note when changing bpm or offset" on IT WILL DESTROY YOUR MAP, select all of the objects and maunualy snap it to the metronome is hard but not as hard as fixing a map destroyed by this option (real), you will also need to change the green line so that it fits the metronome too but it's there's not much of them in the map so that's not too bad)
i agree with this guy

re-arrange the objects first. and yes the offset and BPM is 20 and 165 respectively
Topic Starter
00H51

dPeace wrote:

thanks for the help !

But how can I know the bpm and the offset ?
xKongou

00H51 wrote:

dPeace wrote:

thanks for the help !

You can automatically set BPM with T 10 times, the more the better (if it started to show decimals, round it to the nearest number)
Then you can go to the end of the map (around 75% of it) to find if the beat landed with the osu's ticking noise. If not, increase or decrease a minor number while holding ctrl for 0.25 value, shift for 10 value, and alt for 1 value. But if you heard a different beat while adjusting, you're better off finding another songs untill you're experienced enough with variable timing

For offset, you have to use a lower playback rate (the right corner of the screen) then find the highest peak of audio then put the offset from timing window (F6) to the current position. After that, adjust it with arrows on timing panel (F3)
Topic Starter
00H51

xKongou wrote:

00H51 wrote:

dPeace wrote:

thanks for the help !

You can automatically set BPM with T 10 times, the more the better (if it started to show decimals, round it to the nearest number)
Then you can go to the end of the map (around 75% of it) to find if the beat landed with the osu's ticking noise. If not, increase or decrease a minor number while holding ctrl for 0.25 value, shift for 10 value, and alt for 1 value. But if you heard a different beat while adjusting, you're better off finding another songs untill you're experienced enough with variable timing

For offset, you have to use a lower playback rate (the right corner of the screen) then find the highest peak of audio then put the offset from timing window (F6) to the current position. After that, adjust it with arrows on timing panel (F3)
ah ok thank you so much i always did the bpm fast to match the beat i want without taking time to figure out if it was good.

And do you have any simple music i can map to practice?
xKongou

00H51 wrote:

xKongou wrote:

00H51 wrote:

dPeace wrote:

thanks for the help !

ah ok thank you so much i always did the bpm fast to match the beat i want without taking time to figure out if it was good.

ClariS' songs are the songs i usually recommend to new mappers because their songs are mainly composed with 1/2 beat with moderate bpm (around 175 to 200) and only had 1 timing (except Sayonara Memories). Or alternatively you can see 2 of my latest uploaded map
Topic Starter
00H51

xKongou wrote:

00H51 wrote:

xKongou wrote:

00H51 wrote:

dPeace wrote:

thanks for the help !

ClariS' songs are the songs i usually recommend to new mappers because their songs are mainly composed with 1/2 beat with moderate bpm (around 175 to 200) and only had 1 timing (except Sayonara Memories). Or alternatively you can see 2 of my latest uploaded map

ok thanks for the help i will check after i finish setting the bpm.

One last thing do you have any tips for mapping and slider?
xKongou

00H51 wrote:

xKongou wrote:

00H51 wrote:

xKongou wrote:

00H51 wrote:

dPeace wrote:

thanks for the help !

I don't have any easy tips or ticks to map something because mapping is abt forming habit and preferences

The best thing people would recommend is "map more in order to improve". But maybe you can also did what j do by making maps which are specific for graveyard as a form of practice. You can ask for helps, opinions, or mods in #mapping or #modhelp or even better the modding queues sub-forum. By that you're eventually communicate with other mappers, help understand other mapper's style that might help to develop your map/mapping style, and eventually learn without you know it

Abt slider construction. Because I'm too lazy to scroll things (and possibly makes reading easier, you can read
this
-. do not spam anchors (especially if they're too close to each others unless it produce a pleasant results)
-. learn the algorithm
-. trial and error is your best bet to make a pleasant slider shapes
-. keep making
-. Consistency is important (basically using slider shapes that are similar on each parts like chorus or verse or using certain degree curves for all of the sections as a concept)
-. Relate any shapes with song's intensity (in other words, smaller curves that barely noticeable suited for a calm section, and high curves suited for denser sections like chorus
-. sliders shapes are subjective according to people's opinion. but it's a bad thing of executed properly

just a thing to bare in mind. usually slider anchor's algorithm follow this kinda shapes called 3-point sliders instead of this when you make a slider shapes (say like this) you should add more anchors because it follows a different algorithm like this. if not, it'll be ended like this

ah yea. you can also make a "cool" wavy sliders like this if you understand the algorithm

Yea i literally copy and paste that from a previous post which happend to ask abt slider shapes
Topic Starter
00H51

xKongou wrote:

00H51 wrote:

xKongou wrote:

00H51 wrote:

xKongou wrote:

00H51 wrote:

[quote="dPeace"]the map's timing is wrong, the bpm should be 165, the offset should be 20? and the time signature should be 4/4 (do NOT turn the "move already place note when changing bpm or offset" on IT WILL DESTROY YOUR MAP, select all of the objects and maunualy snap it to the metronome is hard but not as hard as fixing a map destroyed by this option (real), you will also need to change the green line so that it fits the metronome too but it's there's not much of them in the map so that's not too bad)
thanks for the help !

I don't have any easy tips or ticks to map something because mapping is abt forming habit and preferences

The best thing people would recommend is "map more in order to improve". But maybe you can also did what j do by making maps which are specific for graveyard as a form of practice. You can ask for helps, opinions, or mods in #mapping or #modhelp or even better the modding queues sub-forum. By that you're eventually communicate with other mappers, help understand other mapper's style that might help to develop your map/mapping style, and eventually learn without you know it

Abt slider construction. Because I'm too lazy to scroll things (and possibly makes reading easier, you can read
this
-. do not spam anchors (especially if they're too close to each others unless it produce a pleasant results)
-. learn the algorithm
-. trial and error is your best bet to make a pleasant slider shapes
-. keep making
-. Consistency is important (basically using slider shapes that are similar on each parts like chorus or verse or using certain degree curves for all of the sections as a concept)
-. Relate any shapes with song's intensity (in other words, smaller curves that barely noticeable suited for a calm section, and high curves suited for denser sections like chorus
-. sliders shapes are subjective according to people's opinion. but it's a bad thing of executed properly

just a thing to bare in mind. usually slider anchor's algorithm follow this kinda shapes called 3-point sliders instead of this when you make a slider shapes (say like this) you should add more anchors because it follows a different algorithm like this. if not, it'll be ended like this

ah yea. you can also make a "cool" wavy sliders like this if you understand the algorithm

ok I understand thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions and for your advice!