forum

Do you copy-paste objects for repeated sections?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
norizon
I'm currently working on a 4 minutes map. I've done the TV size of it (1m20s-ish). The second verse is basically similar to the first one (and so is the chorus ig). Would you just copy-paste the objects from the first verse and just, say, rotate and/or flip it or something? Or would you also add some minor changes for variety? Or just literally make it from scratch? Planning to make it from scratch but what would you guys do?
Chiru-kun
i dont really like too much difference in similar song sections in my maps. soooo in your position of mapping a normal song, I would, from the start, use a really basic adjustable mapping style, then just repeat the mapping style. for instance here, chorus repeats itself in a really drowning way, so I map in a repetitively drowning but not copy-paste way using the unique swing style i dedicated to the map. it will feel like the same thing, but you don't really have the time to think about it because there are similar patterns per section in each and among itselves. if any, i copy only the stand-out parts like areas around finish cymbal hitsounds there

PS. basic mapping styles which would apply to this would be... hmmm... movement? blanket style? those are the well known basic ones that can accomplish that without much thought. you could also build on your own like I did there

unrelated to your situation
theres another way I do really repetitive stuff, it's when I map instrumental piano songs. did it here when there's a really repetitive melody played by the piano, like the 4-1-2-3 in that map, i make the pattern for that melody only then repeat it every time it pops up in the instrumental. think moonlight sonata repetitive levels, the staircase triple is repeated on different levels but each has its purpose. i have another one but haven't uploaded it yet.

now that I think about it, I described "repeated sections" at first, then here hidden, I described "repeated phrases." maybe something to think about
[[[[[[
NEVER COPY-PASTE OBJECTS FOR REPEATED SECTION, WORST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE

*insert picture of peter griffin running from a plane*

actually is you wanna keep the rhythm consistent across sections then it's ok but that's the furthest i'd do
Topic Starter
norizon
Thanks for sharing y'alls views. Decided to make it from scratch with the same idea as the existing section.
Sophie Twilight
I never ever copypaste

It ruins the perception of mapping each rhythm/section of a song with just bland copy

also nice haqua but I like Kanon more
Tachine Shin
here's my idea

1. you could copy paste individual slider shapes and circle patterns in order to create consistency in your map.
it's important to create this fluidity through slider shapes because it makes the player aware of what shapes will be present in your map. for example if you had lots of straight or slightly curved sliders, or even some that are jagged or "pointy", it would make sense to use those same sliders. same with circles; if you have many jumps, bursts, or streams it would make sense to continue that pattern (when the song allows) in an adaptive way

2. you should not repeat entire patterns or sections identically because it gets quite boring and its unintuitive.
instead, use the same slider shapes (and introducing new shapes when the song presents a change) and circle patterns to create new challenges for the player. you can use the copy paste feature to your advantage in quickening the pace of your map creation. try rotating, mirroring and scaling patterns to your hearts content until you find something that fits. if you have a hard time determining what slider shapes or patterns to use, i like to think of this analogy:

1. slight curves, straight lines, and small jumps : accents softer sounds in the music
  2. greater curves, larger jumps, and the introduction of red anchors: more pronounced sounds and distinguishable from the rest of the melody of the song

a quick reminder
keep in mind that this is not a set way of map construction and is how i work particularly. you may benefit from it, but this list is not something you have to completely follow! try mixing and matching some of the things i listed to create a unique map

also some good shortcuts to use in order to vary your slider and circle pattern construction
ctrl + h / ctrl + j (flip horizontally or vertically)
ctrl + < / ctrl + > (rotate 90 degrees clockwise or counterclockwise)

you can also access precise scaling options and rotation options through the "edit" dropdown or by using ctrl + shift + r (rotate) or ctrl + shift + s (scale)
Topic Starter
norizon

- Mahiro - wrote:

also nice haqua but I like Kanon more
I do like both just like how I like Yukino and Yui :-)

xenorii wrote:

here's my idea

1. you could copy paste individual slider shapes and circle patterns in order to create consistency in your map.
it's important to create this fluidity through slider shapes because it makes the player aware of what shapes will be present in your map. for example if you had lots of straight or slightly curved sliders, or even some that are jagged or "pointy", it would make sense to use those same sliders. same with circles; if you have many jumps, bursts, or streams it would make sense to continue that pattern (when the song allows) in an adaptive way

2. you should not repeat entire patterns or sections identically because it gets quite boring and its unintuitive.
instead, use the same slider shapes (and introducing new shapes when the song presents a change) and circle patterns to create new challenges for the player. you can use the copy paste feature to your advantage in quickening the pace of your map creation. try rotating, mirroring and scaling patterns to your hearts content until you find something that fits. if you have a hard time determining what slider shapes or patterns to use, i like to think of this analogy:

1. slight curves, straight lines, and small jumps : accents softer sounds in the music
  2. greater curves, larger jumps, and the introduction of red anchors: more pronounced sounds and distinguishable from the rest of the melody of the song

a quick reminder
keep in mind that this is not a set way of map construction and is how i work particularly. you may benefit from it, but this list is not something you have to completely follow! try mixing and matching some of the things i listed to create a unique map
Interesting, I also do copy some individual shapes and not the entire pattern. Thanks for mentioning about sliders too!

xenorii wrote:

also some good shortcuts to use in order to vary your slider and circle pattern construction
ctrl + h / ctrl + j (flip horizontally or vertically)
ctrl + < / ctrl + > (rotate 90 degrees clockwise or counterclockwise)

you can also access precise scaling options and rotation options through the "edit" dropdown or by using ctrl + shift + r (rotate) or ctrl + shift + s (scale)
I tend to use my mouse to click those buttons on lazer though but this sure will be handy for people on stable.