forum

David Bowie - Space Oddity

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
mm201
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
m980
<3
LuigiHann
Badass map. Classy SB so far, I look forward to seeing it finished.

I think you should consider leaving out the custom hitsounds for the first verse of the song, and don't introduce them until the chorus, maybe. They are cool sounds but they come across as a bit overbearing at the very beginning, such a quiet part of the song.

02:07:49 (5) - (all difficulties) I don't think the reverse slider here works... Bowie's voice doesn't snap "symmetrically" so it won't snap right no matter what you do. I'd say either make it a single non-repeating slider that starts on "diff" and ends on "ent," or perhaps make the slider 1/2 beat long and have it repeat twice, so it sort of syncs to the background rhythm while still reflecting the vocals to some extent (see image)

Test the map at 640x480 resolution, you'll see your SB text looks a bit grainy. An outer glow/drop shadow should fix that up. It looks like you used "crisp" anti-aliasing on the font... "smooth" might look better.

Have you considered SBing big, fading numbers in the background during the "countdown" behind the first verse? That could look quite good

I'm nitpicking a bit because it's a great map. I had imagined that this song would be unmappable, but you've proven me quite wrong. Can't wait to see everything finished.

Topic Starter
mm201

LuigiHann wrote:

02:07:49 (5) - (all difficulties) I don't think the reverse slider here works... Bowie's voice doesn't snap "symmetrically" so it won't snap right no matter what you do. I'd say either make it a single non-repeating slider that starts on "diff" and ends on "ent," or perhaps make the slider 1/2 beat long and have it repeat twice, so it sort of syncs to the background rhythm while still reflecting the vocals to some extent (see image)
Personally, I found this to be one of the more powerful parts of the music, being the only triplets. Your suggestions don't seem to be working for me, so I'm hanging onto what I have for now.

LuigiHann wrote:

Test the map at 640x480 resolution, you'll see your SB text looks a bit grainy. An outer glow/drop shadow should fix that up. It looks like you used "crisp" anti-aliasing on the font... "smooth" might look better.
Planned. I'm going to half the resolution on all text, which should achieve a more smooth, less hinted AA, and add a drop shadow for more contrast on light backdrops.

LuigiHann wrote:

Have you considered SBing big, fading numbers in the background during the "countdown" behind the first verse? That could look quite good
Sounds a little over the top IMO. :P I can't quite think of a good approach to make this non-obtrusive. Open to suggestions.

LuigiHann wrote:

I'm nitpicking a bit because it's a great map. I had imagined that this song would be unmappable, but you've proven me quite wrong. Can't wait to see everything finished.
Thanks a bunch. This means a lot to me.

I'll try to get the second and third breaks uploaded tonight.

Edit: Forgot one -.-:

LuigiHann wrote:

I think you should consider leaving out the custom hitsounds for the first verse of the song, and don't introduce them until the chorus, maybe. They are cool sounds but they come across as a bit overbearing at the very beginning, such a quiet part of the song.
I'll try reducing the volume, but the quiet parts are where they make the most sense to me, and get used the most. Lowering the volume should hopefully counter any overpowering.
LuigiHann

MetalMario201 wrote:

LuigiHann wrote:

Sounds a little over the top IMO. :P I can't quite think of a good approach to make this non-obtrusive. Open to suggestions.
This is a very quick-and-dirty example of what i was thinking of:

Sprite,Foreground,Centre,"default-9.png",320,240
M,0,52589,,320,240
F,0,52589,52812,0,1
F,0,52812,,1
F,0,52812,53256,1,0
F,0,53256,,0
S,0,52589,53700,1,4.1104

Also, I guess your timing is pretty spot-on with that diff-er-ent bit being snapped to 1/3, so there isn't really a problem there. Just felt a bit weird to me
FurukawaPan
Just stopping in to offer my advice. <3

The storyboard is totally epic. It's apparent you've worked hard to put it all together.

Everything below is *suggestion*. I think everything map-wise is totally good to go, but I had some ideas that may help improve the map.

[Easy]
00:38:20 (2) - I know you like symmetry, it would be nice if there were a way to line this up with the (1) and do something spreading out with the (3) and (4).

03:11:66 (1,2,3,1,2) - You could shift these into an exact square. i.e. bump the (3) up a bit, the 2nd (1) and (2) over. Something like that.

[Normal] is just a really great [Normal]

[Hard]
01:04:18 (9,10,11,12) - I found this part so hard to nail, even *after* hearing it on auto. I hear it syncs to some drums in the music, so I guess it's up to you if you want to keep it anyway, but just saying, it was awkward.

It would be awesome if this map had an [Insane], since I found [Hard] rather easy, but I guess I've been playing osu! for too long ;)

And so.. a shooting star flew by and star'd your map.

ミ☆
mtmcl
I'm really hoping this song doesn't get an insane. I really don't think this map needs to be too difficult or overmapped. It's really a masterpiece as it is.

(star)
CheeseWarlock
Epic storyboard. Nothing else to say.

01:04:18 (9,10,11,12) - on [Hard] and the diff-er-ent slider in [Normal] and [Hard] seems really awkward to me too. Though they sort of sync with the music, I don't like seeing different snaps used so sparingly like that. It just doesn't play well. My suggestion would be to replace the slider with something in 1/2 snaps, and do the same with the stack or at least use a similar stack somewhere else in that section even if the drum doesn't do the same.
Matma Rex
This map is really, really, really made of win. Star + kudo star, you deserve it :D
Topic Starter
mm201

CheeseWarlock wrote:

Epic storyboard. Nothing else to say.

01:04:18 (9,10,11,12) - on [Hard] and the diff-er-ent slider in [Normal] and [Hard] seems really awkward to me too. Though they sort of sync with the music, I don't like seeing different snaps used so sparingly like that. It just doesn't play well. My suggestion would be to replace the slider with something in 1/2 snaps, and do the same with the stack or at least use a similar stack somewhere else in that section even if the drum doesn't do the same.
I have to say I'm really keen on keeping the dif-fe-rent slider. I already nixed it on Easy and I think that's all I'm comfortable doing.

I'm going to follow LH's advice and try to introduce one or two more triples so that the one which is in there seems less out of place.

(I really need to get back and finish the SB. =/)

Thanks very much for the Kudosu star Matma Rex!
eee
marvelous
Agent766
Amazing song and map!
kideddie1501
OMG! AHHHHHHHHH!! Didn't even know it could be mapped! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

STAR!
Gens
This is... awesome.
CaptainOlimar247
Congrats, this along with Here Comes The Sun are two of my favorite maps. I hope that you have good luck on getting all your pending maps ranked. So congrats you earn another star!
Topic Starter
mm201
Auggh, I so need to finish SBing this. But I can't track down the motivation!

Thanks much, guys.
RandomJibberish
I freaking love this map. I don't see any problems at all ;)

'Tis Starworthy for sure.
NoHitter
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
mm201
Topic Starter
mm201
Bumping this through the forum since I don't have osu! here.
Matma Rex
Wheee

Another kudosu star to motivate you. I wanna see this finished and ranked so much D:
NotShinta
Oh hey WIP

Absolutely perfect, starred
gyt
+1 :)
laport
This is a great map+sb, so here's another star!
LilJennie
I hope this one gets the attention it deserves; the SB is so beautiful
Aaz
I love you. It's beautiful.
I hope it's will be ranked. osu! surely needs more Bowie.
guemn
great
just great
BanchoBot
This modding thread has been migrated to the new "modding discussions" system. Please make sure to re-post any existing (and unresolved) efforts to the new system as required.