forum

Combo color lightning color system change [Denied]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Gemi
The combo color lightning (the colored flash that you see after hitting a note) is an awesome effect that really makes the game feel more alive and I love to have it in the game.

There is however one aspect of it that I think could be improved. Currently the color of the flash is decided by the color of the note that was hit. This however causes me some problems when in fast parts I want to easily see what I got from notes that I hit, a 300, a 100 or a 50. Sometimes I don't see the actual hit sprite, but only the flash which might be green due to the green combo color instead of the yellow of the 300 hit that I got, misleading me to believing that I hit differently than I actually did.

What I suggest is that the flash would be colored depending on the hit that you get, ie a yellow/golden flash for 300, a green flash for 100 and a blue flash for a 50. This should probably be themeable since the hit sprites might use different colors in different themes. This would also be consistent with other rhythm games as it is standard to have any flash follow the actual hit judgement (or in some cases the flash is always the same color).

The only possible downside I can think of is the possibility that the flash color might not work visually well with a certain combo color when they are of different colors.

Please discuss and present your views. And please no "make it a toggle" suggestions.
LuigiHann
I like it the way it is. We already have the hit bursts to show you how you did. I like having the lighting be the color of the combo, it leads to more variety in the appearance of the map, since most plays in your scenario would have mostly-yellow glow for pretty much all the time.
Kitsunemimi
I also appreciate how it's based on the colour of the combo. Many other lighting effects such as Kiai Time and the combo counter in CtB are also based on the combo colour (even if it's random in CtB). I think it's essential to base it on the combo colour, instead of the hitvalue colour. Besides, maps that already have custom skin elements won't be able to change the "colour" of their hitvalue lighting, so that wouldn't work.
peppy
I'm also leaning towards leaving it how it is. I really like the effect it adds based on combo colour choices, and limiting it to skin-based colours would take away from its epic value.
mm201
You can always skin a big fuzzy glow around the score markers anyway.
Topic Starter
Gemi
I guess I'm a minority here, so let's keep it as it is then.
Azure_Kite

Gemi wrote:

I guess I'm a minority here, so let's keep it as it is then.
If this is to stay the colour system it is, possibly the size scale of the burst depending on the timing achieved?

Say, a 300x makes a burst of 1.50 the normal size, a 100x makes 1.25, 50x to 1.00.
LuigiHann
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.