forum

Are dan courses plagiarism? (i change title)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
midgy
the amount of people making new "dan courses" all the time which are just blatantly taking 4 maps from people and putting them into one, calling it a course and almost never getting permission before doing so.
i'm definitely bias cause i hate how this community plays nothing but the dan courses over and over but like it's still blatantly plagiarism in everyway, putting 4 people's maps next to each other isn't fair use and everyone of them should be taken down unless they have explicit permission from every mapper included.
DeltaNami
Plagiarism and the likes isn't really talked about enough in games like these, considering they're relatively new as a creative platform. Dans have always been a pretty interesting part of the game to me, as I found the concept pretty interesting and I always like to test my skill. However, seeing how the community talks about them and the kind of effect dans have on players really made me not like them at all, kind of like how you said. The fact that they can take these maps and just use them like that is also pretty unfortunate.
Unless better measures are put in place to prevent copycat maps from being uploaded, the best we can do is request that they're taken down personally. I personally wouldn't mind if someone hypothetically used my map in a dan course, but if I did, I imagine it could be removed if I asked them or osu staff. If that isn't possible then sheesh we have a bad system around here.

(Kind of thought of this later on, but I think as long as the plagiarized dan courses aren't used for any gain or used officially, it should probably be fine just to have it as a practice kind of map. Or at the very least, giving credit in the beatmap info and background image like in Jinjin's dans.)
Topic Starter
midgy

Delta386 wrote:

(Kind of thought of this later on, but I think as long as the plagiarized dan courses aren't used for any gain or used officially, it should probably be fine just to have it as a practice kind of map. Or at the very least, giving credit in the beatmap info and background image like in Jinjin's dans.)
yeah this is true but i was more talking about how literally everyone is making a new alternate dan course and reuploading the reform courses all the time. (also the reform courses totally didn't get perms from everyone included in the first place, idk if shoegazer did but i'd guess she did)
Poptont
this is one reason why i hate and never play dans
Blushing
If someone is actively taking work from other users without their permission then report the beatmap? Im not sure if you are looking for an automated system or what, but if you come across Dans that aren't made by the original creator then just report them.

Wiki wrote:

"1.Make sure you have permission to use any content involved in your beatmap. This includes songs, videos, hitsounds, graphics, and any other content that isn't your own creation. If you are unsure of where to find content that is free to use, check out our growing Featured Artist library for music 100% licensed for use in osu! and the Content Usage Guidelines for more information."

2. Do not plagiarise or attempt to steal the work of others. Do not also upload or use other people's work without their explicit permission (including, but not limited to, skins and guest difficulties).
Anybody or map/submission that is breaking these rules is grounds for immediate removal of the map, or a time period to gain said permission to use it.
Topic Starter
midgy

Blushing wrote:

If someone is actively taking work from other users without their permission then report the beatmap? Im not sure if you are looking for an automated system or what, but if you come across Dans that aren't made by the original creator then just report them.

Wiki wrote:

"1.Make sure you have permission to use any content involved in your beatmap. This includes songs, videos, hitsounds, graphics, and any other content that isn't your own creation. If you are unsure of where to find content that is free to use, check out our growing Featured Artist library for music 100% licensed for use in osu! and the Content Usage Guidelines for more information."

2. Do not plagiarise or attempt to steal the work of others. Do not also upload or use other people's work without their explicit permission (including, but not limited to, skins and guest difficulties).
Anybody or map/submission that is breaking these rules is grounds for immediate removal of the map, or a time period to gain said permission to use it.
none of the dan uploaders are making all the maps, i was meaning more as to whether it would be considered to be plagiarism and taken down. it's definitely not actually clear cut plagiarism and is worth discussing so i just opened this thread
abraker
If beatmap creators do not want their maps to be featured in dans they should submit a DMCA takedown. If not that, it will be ignored.
Haengsyo
I'm not sure for 4k, but I do know the for 7k Reg/LN dans, JinJin maps most of the charts, if not edits them in some way in his dan courses. So I'm assuming this is mostly for the 4k dans out there, correct?
Topic Starter
midgy

Haengsyo wrote:

I'm not sure for 4k, but I do know the for 7k Reg/LN dans, JinJin maps most of the charts, if not edits them in some way in his dan courses. So I'm assuming this is mostly for the 4k dans out there, correct?
yeah the new alternate ones that everyone and their grandmother uploads
-NoName-
I believe the 7K Dans that are loved obtained permission from every contributor in some form. I know for a fact that most 4K Dans (and clan entrance exams) didn't obtain permission in most cases.

Plagiarized content (regardless of Ranked, Loved, Pending/WIP, or Graveyard status) can be DMCA'ed (Exhibit A, Exhibit B) at the original charter's request if they disagree with its usage. I'm not sure if having a Ranked set of yours subject of DMCA would get you in trouble, but it very likely could.

We also had a decently popular set that blatantly stole riktoi's Yoomiii - Rhythm of Love taken down/DMCA'ed before putting up the original charter's set for Loved too. The link to that set is gone now.
Topic Starter
midgy

-NoName- wrote:

I believe the 7K Dans that are loved obtained permission from every contributor in some form. I know for a fact that most 4K Dans (and clan entrance exams) didn't obtain permission in most cases.

Plagiarized content (regardless of Ranked, Loved, Pending/WIP, or Graveyard status) can be DMCA'ed (Exhibit A, Exhibit B) at the original charter's request if they disagree with its usage. I'm not sure if having a Ranked set of yours subject of DMCA would get you in trouble, but it very likely could.

We also had a decently popular set that blatantly stole riktoi's Yoomiii - Rhythm of Love taken down/DMCA'ed before putting up the original charter's set for Loved too. The link to that set is gone now.
the 7k dans are well done for sure, i also like how shoegazer presented them on forums with links to each song and didn't upload them but rather left it on forums, the new alternate 4k dans that everyone is uploading all the time is mostly what i'm calling plagiarism.
i don't want to dmca literally every dan course people are uploading but rather get like a statement saying whether it should be allowed and how permissions should be obtained, i would like for osu! to have official dan courses with permissions and maps from featured artists ideally but that's obviously a lot of work
-NoName-

midgy wrote:

-NoName- wrote:

the 7k dans are well done for sure, i also like how shoegazer presented them on forums with links to each song and didn't upload them but rather left it on forums, the new alternate 4k dans that everyone is uploading all the time is mostly what i'm calling plagiarism.
i don't want to dmca literally every dan course people are uploading but rather get like a statement saying whether it should be allowed and how permissions should be obtained, i would like for osu! to have official dan courses with permissions and maps from featured artists ideally but that's obviously a lot of work
There are osu!dan packs although they were never completed.

It shouldn't be allowed imo, but it is up to the original mapper to communicate with uploaders and possibly submit DMCA requests if things go too far. You can just get permission by directly asking the original charters themselves.

I'm very strongly against the way people treat Dan courses now. I don't think having osu!official Dan courses would be any better off to be quite frank
Topic Starter
midgy

-NoName- wrote:

I'm very strongly against the way people treat Dan courses now. I don't think having osu!official Dan courses would be any better off to be quite frank
i honestly do agree but i don't think it's possible to ever get rid of the dan courses entirely and i think having an offical one would be a nice improvement even if not "fixing" it