forum

[GAME BRANCH CONCEPT] Osu!Stage

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DemonChaser
Hey dear Osu and other rhythm game players, musicians, teachers, band members!

---[INTRODUCTION]---
This will be long, so only read this part, if you have plenty of time to read this :)
I am learning percussion and other instruments for 7 years now in a music school. I really enjoy playing on instruments, even more with others. It is a great way to socialize, and you know, listening to music is great, but playing and making it, is a euphoric experience.
Not so long ago, I asked some of my classmates, why did they leave their music studies. Their answer was kind of distressing: the main reasons behind quitting was their constant pressure being exerted by their parents, and school expectations. They said it required lots of effort, and it was hard to plan the year accordingly to predetermined lessons, and it’s not even a state supported institution, so it even costs money, which pressures you even more to either perform well, or quit and think about music and teachers with hatred. So they eventually lost interest and motivation after 1-2 years.
I started playing regularly with osu! a one and a half years ago, when the pandemic was In it’s most striking stage here in the EU; We had to stay at home. I was saying to myself, what am I going to do here at home? I wish if I could meet my friends and play again on instruments together! The whole world went even crazier; Electronic goods’ MSRP had risen from relatively normal to extremely insane in weeks… Anyways, I had a lot of time to invent myself, I had a lot of unfinished projects started back then. Facebook lately introduced their affordable VR headset, and changed their company name to Meta, and the news were exploded because this fierce change in direction towards the Metaverse. That was the moment when it just popped out of nowhere: “Spend your free time useful, and enjoy it at the same time? Love listening and playing music? occupy yourself when you can’t even leave your home, and socialize indirectly? Enter the Metaverse?? Combine it with Osu!?” - Yes, I know, my wild ideas. I try my best contribute some good and helpful to this rapidly evolving society! Well, it might worth a try to share my thoughts with you.

---[What am I talking about? What does it have to do with Osu!?]---
You can call this idea a small step towards a more fun way of learning music and playing together in an addicting and fun way, that could replace a small portion of the basics of musical education. Fundamental gameplay elements from rhythm games such as Osu! could be borrowed and put into a productive or practicing workspace where you could do pretty much the same thing as you would gather your friends and play some music together. By features I mean the combo and accuracy game mechanics, and it’s supportive, open-source business model which avoids copyright issues, and has a partly community driven development (both funding, and requested features). It's basically a mix of VR, Synthesia, and Osu!.
The unique part would be an approach which extends on multiple platforms. For example, VR, PC, and ARM devices, and tries to reach a similar way of interaction as VRChat does – you can see each other avatars, and hear each other’s voices (and instruments) in real time. The main gameplay would happen on a stage, where the performers are playing on their instruments. These instruments are electronic devices which can be DIY (blueprints would be issued by devs, wouldn’t it be fun to build your own instruments from a fraction of the price? More on that later), or third party. You could do everything with your instruments as far as you meet some restrictions. You would have the option play in SINGLEPLAYER/MULTIPLAYER STAGE, or LIVE PERFORMANCE. The mapping could happen in the same way as Osu! does; but gameplay channels would be separated into instruments (like vocal, percussion, keyboard, guitar), which could be chosen by a player. In VR, the 3D gameplay scene would be in FPV mode with hand or body tracking, where you sit in front of a (for this instance) drumkit, and you could even look around and see your band members. Or for desktop, you could have a similar environment, except you have restricted view area (only your instrument). Notes could approach you in a similar way as Osu! mania, but it could also have a fade-in effect just as the standard Osu! does. It is important that physical instrument is unavoidable for a good experience. Your band members can be chosen from random people or your in-game friends. This game could be also a great way to perform in front of real people in digital space just like in a real concert, which would attract more people, not only gamers. So, it is not just a game-play anymore. These Live Performances could be viewed by anyone in-game and also on streaming services like Twitch and YouTube, where approaching notes would be only seen for performers (For improvisation).
The game could be also played not just in Performance, but in Multiplayer Stage mode. Which is basically the same idea, but people could play competitive. (Band vs Band, or PvP but only with the same instrument).
Single player practice mode is pretty much self-explanatory; It is for score-grinding, and to get to the top of the leaderboards.

---[ Why would it help today’s society?]---
It helps people learn instruments in a unique and accessible way internationally and virtually. This visual representation of the notes also makes learning much easier since you don’t have to spend weeks to learn reading sheets and you could hop in a match alone, or in a group session in no time. It is also more addicting, since the combo and score will give you a straight insight how you compare to others, and the stamina, which, of course, gives thrill to the gameplay.
It can be also a tool for musicians to practice together. Maybe they cannot afford huge rooms, which are far enough from other inhabited areas, and not to bother them, but are close enough for everyone to meet, or maybe it is just simply impossible to collaborate because of long distances.

---[ Why would it attract people?]---
As I said, it is not only for gamers, and learners, but everyone who wants to see a virtual concert, or cannot afford to go to one. These concerts could be a form of an e-sport, and a great spectacle. If it’s well executed, and eye-catching, with a beatsaber like graphics, it would surely grab a lot of attention.

---[Looking forward to your ideas and opinions]---
I am really bad at describing my thoughts, moreover in English, and god, the idea description is really messy and crude, and my project naming scheme is just trash as I see it. But cheer me up in the replies if you see something in the idea. I will do some renders about my imagined gameplay in the future, so you guys can understand my thoughts easier. For me personally, It really seems to be a viable future for merging gaming and music in a really educational, flashy, and entertaining way. It would be really great to see this project as a branch from Osu! with graphical and gameplay similarities. Please UP the topic if I got your attention, so it can get to others, and eventually, to Peppy soon!

I look forward to hearing from you guys,
Sig

Visual Demo #1: https://youtu.be/trWk3dDGhEk
tomtommi
yo that in theory sounds sick, will read the whole article later on though
[[[[[[
first of all there's this thing called a DAW

second of all, konami already made a rhythm game based on instruments in vr and it suck ass

third of all, this read like those nft meteverse poly scheme thing that try to trick people who barely use the computer into invest in something that are often a scam or just a waste of money in general
sinsol

dPeace wrote:

third of all, this read like those nft meteverse poly scheme thing that try to trick people who barely use the computer into invest in something that are often a scam or just a waste of money in general
…well yeah, thats kinda what a concept is…
Topic Starter
DemonChaser

dPeace wrote:

first of all there's this thing called a DAW

second of all, konami already made a rhythm game based on instruments in vr and it suck ass

Well, yeah... The point of DAW is to master music, and not to simulate a live performance. And I haven't mentioned crypto and nfts lmao idk where did you get this from. Anyways I know that most of them (mainly VR) will suck since it is a really hard idea to execute! But I am sure we could address most of the problems since osu has a gigantic community, which doesn't have to be competent in the development, but make opinion about whether the progress is going in a great direction or not. Countributors may come and go, but I believe in that if we make some advancements, some attention will be eventually drawn to this thread, more people will be interested, and more people may comment and help etc... So that's why I've turned my concept into a half-baked visual design.

VIDEO LINK: https://youtu.be/trWk3dDGhEk

This preview represents the approaching circle method.
Some similarities with beatsaber can be found as I mentioned it above, distant fog and contour style; The character was chosen from a free VRChat character library.
WitherMite
wonder how or even if it would be possible to get wind instruments to work without a ton of input lag, since there still aren't good electronic options at any price point for most of them - especially not brasses, you'd have to record the audio and get inputs from that somehow, which would add a ton of extra processing time on top of the delay that the instruments already cause due to how they function.

Especially the lower winds could end up with a pretty much unplayable experience, on top of likely having less interesting content to play in the first place.

Also the mapping scene for this mode would be ridiculous as charters would have to transcribe every instrument in the mix for it to make sense for the purpose, which honestly limits creativity to a point where they cant add any artistic liberties in how they map and gets rid of the reason most people even chart/map to begin with. only thing they could really add is to arrange parts for instruments that aren't in the original audio. Mappers would have to be very good arrangers to even manage to make decent lower difficulties, an issue that would kill the modes growth outright.
Topic Starter
DemonChaser
But since notes are pre-determined, players with poor connection would just get a delayed feed and play with "past replays" until the network catches up back to around 100ms which may be acceptable. (which means the player with the most latency would bottleneck the gameplay. Anyways i am sure we can address that because we are working with predictible beats) Since we have to stream hit notes only, and VSTs would play locally, we wouldn't have to worry about bandwidth; (maybe we do with the vocal line). Anyways if nVidia could do geforce now streaming enjoyable with servers, why couldn't we do ptp audio? That requires almost no bandwidth and processing compared to video streaming for acceptable results.