forum

How acceptable is mapping like this?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kurboh
I wanted to show how out of touch I am when it comes to modern osu by showing how I map. Or am I mistaken?

Map in question: beatmapsets/1697166#osu/3467524
lewski
won't see any large success but there's still a small audience for this stuff, gl
Topic Starter
Kurboh
Updated it to be full, now let's see if it's acceptable still lol
Asking if it's a bit too difficult. Made to be this way because of extreme dubstep wobble effects known as wubs and electronic screeches
Zelzatter Zero
The matter here isn't what the concept is but rather how you execute it.

Looking at the map, I can see very clearly that you focus too much on the concept but not the fundamental, having too many interesting ideas but barely have proper focus on any of them, making the end result to be really messy.

My suggestion is to only choose a few, maybe like 2-3, depending on your actual need, and develop them throughout the map.

Also the first Kiai of the song is notable for the growls (?) being at swing beat aka. 1/3 or 1/6 divisor, meanwhile you map them at 1/8 which is still straight beat so rankability-wise it's dead from the start. And that's just one of the many problem that I could find, with this being the one that sticks out the most for me.
Topic Starter
Kurboh

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

The matter here isn't what the concept is but rather how you execute it.

Looking at the map, I can see very clearly that you focus too much on the concept but not the fundamental, having too many interesting ideas but barely have proper focus on any of them, making the end result to be really messy.

My suggestion is to only choose a few, maybe like 2-3, depending on your actual need, and develop them throughout the map.

Also the first Kiai of the song is notable for the growls (?) being at swing beat aka. 1/3 or 1/6 divisor, meanwhile you map them at 1/8 which is still straight beat so rankability-wise it's dead from the start. And that's just one of the many problem that I could find, with this being the one that sticks out the most for me.
Hey, thanks for this,
Yeaaa, it's my first complete and more serious map, didn't plan this for anything like rank, instead, just for fun and learning how to make maps better. It's probably messy because it took a few weeks to complete, and I never had a full plan. Maybe instead of mapping from start to finish, I start by adding key parts to the most interesting points in the song and then link them up afterwards? At least you acknowledge the ideas are interesting ahaha.

As for the first kiai, I actually realised 1/3 and 1/6 notes could have been created after experimenting with two other maps, so, I'll definitely fix those as well.

Anyways, thanks for leaving a comment about the map and it's potential improvements! ^^
EtheralAzure
Okay haven't seen a new map that seems to age well for decades, so I'd like to say sth

First of all, I'd like to tell u that u've chosen a tougher path.
Using grid snap all the time, lots of axial symmetry, an overwhelming amount of geometry plus cranky sliders? It's a mapping style from deep history.
When u pm a bn with a map featuring such style, it's like attending an interview in medieval armors. Fewer would be interested in it so it's definitely harder to hit ranked. (But still, if it's good enough u do have chance)

Secondly, u still have a long way to go. I'll list a few essential things that ur map lacks.
1) Maps should represent the creator's efforts, so in all styles of maps patterns having 2 symmetric axises (i.e. made up of 4 exact same patterns) are rarely used. Also, they often fail to distinguish the difference between micro music sections. Stuff like 00:24:726 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) 00:30:000 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) should be reduced.
2) Objects should be placed on the beat. This is obviously topdiff so few beats should be ignored. For example in this part: 01:09:375 (14,15,16), beats exist on 01:09:375 01:09:726 01:09:843 01:09:960 01:10:078 01:10:195 01:10:312; apparently u missed a lot of them. A better example is 01:10:312 which u can easily tell.
3) Slider shapes should be reasonable. Avoid those after 04:00:000 and anything else alike since they make no sense. If u cannot explain why when using complex slider shapes, then u'd better not use them. What's more, sliders aren't writing tools. Don't make too many letters with them. Only do that on special parts of the music (for instance, unique sounds or end of the music) That is to say, replace stuff like 02:30:000 (1,2) since they don't lie on anything special and using them skips a lot of beats.
4) Difficulty distribution should be proper. More intense part of the music should receive harder patterning, and extreme difficulty spikes should be avoided. U don't seem to have decent playing skills but are still supposed to know that 03:11:250 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14) and 03:33:750 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,1) are far more difficult than the rest of the map.

(unfinished, will add more later
Topic Starter
Kurboh

EtheralAzure wrote:

Okay haven't seen a new map that seems to age well for decades, so I'd like to say sth

Using grid snap all the time, lots of axial symmetry, an overwhelming amount of geometry plus cranky sliders? It's a mapping style from deep history.
When u pm a bn with a map featuring such style, it's like attending an interview in medieval armors. Fewer would be interested in it so it's definitely harder to hit ranked. (But still, if it's good enough u do have chance)

Secondly, u still have a long way to go. I'll list a few essential things that ur map lacks.
1) Maps should represent the creator's efforts, so in all styles of maps patterns having 2 symmetric axises (i.e. made up of 4 exact same patterns) are rarely used. Also, they often fail to distinguish the difference between micro music sections. Stuff like 00:24:726 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) 00:30:000 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) should be reduced.
2) Objects should be placed on the beat. This is obviously topdiff so few beats should be ignored. For example in this part: 01:09:375 (14,15,16), beats exist on 01:09:375 01:09:726 01:09:843 01:09:960 01:10:078 01:10:195 01:10:312; apparently u missed a lot of them. A better example is 01:10:312 which u can easily tell.
3) Slider shapes should be reasonable. Avoid those after 04:00:000 and anything else alike since they make no sense. If u cannot explain why when using complex slider shapes, then u'd better not use them. What's more, sliders aren't writing tools. Don't make too many letters with them. Only do that on special parts of the music (for instance, unique sounds or end of the music) That is to say, replace stuff like 02:30:000 (1,2) since they don't lie on anything special and using them skips a lot of beats.
4) Difficulty distribution should be proper. More intense part of the music should receive harder patterning, and extreme difficulty spikes should be avoided. U don't seem to have decent playing skills but are still supposed to know that 03:11:250 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14) and 03:33:750 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,1) are far more difficult than the rest of the map.

Wow, didn't expect another reply, but thanks for sharing your opinions on it!

For what you said at the beginning about me using grid snap, the reason I do this is mostly because those are the most common type of maps I play and which I like to play the most. So going for ranked for me is out of the question and it was mostly to make a difficult map.

As for ways to improve my mapping, I understand what you're trying to say.
- For the first thing you mentioned, about having too many objects, made it to fill out the beatmap with something to progressively make it more difficult (more on that later).
- For adding too few objects, was done mostly because I didn't know how to connect it better to the next part (on that example at least), and since I didn't wanna overcomplicate it.
- For the insane slider shapes, the idea of that part was to have a destructive second drop where you flick your cursor around at a very fast speed which was an idea that went waaaay out of control later on. As for the examples you pointed out (2:30 and 4:00), those parts were mostly done because I had no idea what to fill the space with because I got lazy (sorry, I'll be more professional eventually -w-)
- For the last thing, the same thing applies, didn't know how to fill space in some parts, went out of control because I thought the map deserved it (the poor map didn't deserve my extreme difficulty spikes lmao) and in general felt lazy

Anyways, what else I wanna mention is these are not excuses! I just thought I'd mention what I thought about while making the map. I'll try to be careful in making stuff better from now on maps in the future (maybe even if I remap this one day). And if you ever decide to add more to it, that would be nice as well! Also, when I decide to hitsound the entire thing you could review how I do that too even if its unlikely to happen soon after reading this *cough*

So yeee, thanks again for your feedback! ^^

~Kurb
EtheralAzure

Kurboh wrote:

EtheralAzure wrote:

Wow, didn't expect another reply, but thanks for sharing your opinions on it!

For what you said at the beginning about me using grid snap, the reason I do this is mostly because those are the most common type of maps I play and which I like to play the most. So going for ranked for me is out of the question and it was mostly to make a difficult map.

As for ways to improve my mapping, I understand what you're trying to say.
- For the first thing you mentioned, about having too many objects, made it to fill out the beatmap with something to progressively make it more difficult (more on that later).
- For adding too few objects, was done mostly because I didn't know how to connect it better to the next part (on that example at least), and since I didn't wanna overcomplicate it.
- For the insane slider shapes, the idea of that part was to have a destructive second drop where you flick your cursor around at a very fast speed which was an idea that went waaaay out of control later on. As for the examples you pointed out (2:30 and 4:00), those parts were mostly done because I had no idea what to fill the space with because I got lazy (sorry, I'll be more professional eventually -w-)
- For the last thing, the same thing applies, didn't know how to fill space in some parts, went out of control because I thought the map deserved it (the poor map didn't deserve my extreme difficulty spikes lmao) and in general felt lazy

Anyways, what else I wanna mention is these are not excuses! I just thought I'd mention what I thought about while making the map. I'll try to be careful in making stuff better from now on maps in the future (maybe even if I remap this one day). And if you ever decide to add more to it, that would be nice as well! Also, when I decide to hitsound the entire thing you could review how I do that too even if its unlikely to happen soon after reading this *cough*

So yeee, thanks again for your feedback! ^^

~Kurb
Yeah I'm glad that u take my advice into consideration, while I may issue a few according to ur reply!

- U said more than once that u don't know how to connect 2 parts (since u chose to map the most interesting parts first, as u mentioned before). However, I strongly suggest that u map by time order. U may come up with ideas for interesting parts in advance, but plz put them down only when u approach where they're supposed to be. This solves the problem and makes ur map flow well too. (Flow can be understood as reasonable drift of cursor movement. The better a map flows, the more comfy it plays among similar stuff).
- For the slider shapes, I'm not banning u from using complexed ones. Instead, I advocate using proper ones. Mostly u can add more object connections to make ur patterns more proper (for instance, make parts of the sliders parallel/verticle to another part of it/another slider, blankets, symmetry, repetitions with or without rotation, etc.).
- For rhythm, there's an ez-to-use rule: firstly focus on the strongest beats, then the second strongest, until there's no reasonable space. When it comes to the same intensity, more unique rhythms should be considered first(such as 1/3 rhythm in 1/4 atmosphere). When ur placing too many circles to cover the beats, convert some of them into sliders. (Don't forget reverse sliders!)
- I'd like to say that this song is NOT easy to map. In some parts the rhythm is too sparse and in other parts too complicated. And most importantly, rhythm density is not connected with music intensity. Maybe u should choose another one.
- Finally, if u get lazy or out of ideas on a map, either look into others' to seek inspiration or just switch to sth else (map more songs, go playing, enjoy other games, focus on irl issues or just have a cup of tea) until u feel like returning! I don't have much to say since I map in a totally different genre but I'm trying my best to help ><
Topic Starter
Kurboh
Going back to this thread to show that I think I improved a bit in mapping since then
This time the map is more authentic to old mapping because of me using the 2009 osu editor
Not sure tho, so gonna chuck in my most recent map I made
beatmapsets/1808416#osu/3708750