forum

Refine ambiguous slider guideline in osu!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
moonpoint
Ranking criteria presently states in guidelines:

Extra:
- If a slider's follow circle covers the whole slider path, the movement of its slider ball may be ambiguous.

The intent for this rule is to allow sliders that may be FC'd without moving the cursor in ranked - regardless of slider composition. The issue arises that the guideline is open to too much interpretation, including ones which go against the intent.

Example of an ideally allowed slider
Technically, the slider follow circle doesn't cover the entire slider path at all times,
however note that the follow circle is "active" (the slider is held) at all times if the cursor is in the middle.

So, the general vibe of "the slider can be ambiguous if it can be held without moving" must be captured. I propose the following, which I believe should be an improvement ^_^

Extra:
If a slider's follow circle can be active (i.e. the slider can be held) over its duration without any player movement away from the slider head, the movement of its slider ball may be ambiguous.
[[[[[[
this would be cool! but shouldn't it be on community/forums/topics/830264?n=1 ? or im missing something
atlas
wouldn't call this a minor fix cuz it allows for a whole new catalogue of slider ideas in maps
quila
seems good
Nao Tomori
"without player movement off/away from the slider head" perhaps?
Dignan
agree with nao, should be fine if fcable by staying on sliderhead
yaspo
This seems much in spirit of the original rule addition, so I support it as well. Do agree with nao's thing

In my head im debating whether at this point it can just be "if you can 300/fc the slider by staying on the head it's fine" or if the "sliderball is active" part is actually required. 300/fc and sliderball being active mean the same thing (i think) but one's easier to check than the other
gummibar
Making it based on completion (i.e. getting a 300) is very dangerous, as it allows for incredible leniency that is perhaps completely unreadable.

A slider can easily meet that criteria while still travelling extreme distances, simply by returning to its origin point for sliderticks and sliderends. That much movement will significantly impact playability and isn't what the original rule was intended for at all.
yaspo
this is fair
Topic Starter
moonpoint
ammended with nao's suggestion, if everyone's OK with this I can PR this to osu-wiki whenever convenient
UberFazz
merged