forum

[Question] New modding organizer systems

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Chiru-kun
Hello there, I was an active mapper around 2019-second half 2020 until I stopped due to real-life events. I mapped a bit during 2021, but I was barely active and only touched the osu! editor every 3-4 months, completing 1 map in the process.

Having increased in mapping activity again recently, I noticed that so many modreq posts now include links to Google Forms, live excel sheets, and even the https://osumod.com/ website. Yes, I have seen forms utilized even in my past active period. I'm aware of the BN modding system. However, it seems much more widespread now, like any mapper CAN choose to do so, that it's the norm for experienced mappers, and that many HAVE chosen to do so.

It's piqued my curiousity. I'm interested in hearing how these modding organizer systems developed over the past 1 and a half years.

Specifically,
  1. Are modding organizer systems as widespread as I describe it? Or am I just seeing a popular minority?
  2. Why did these start popping up? I'd assume because many people ask for more mods than they actually give them, but is that all?
  3. Were there any major events or influences that led to the seemingly widespread use of these systems?