forum

what keyboard is good for osu!mania?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
voidacity
I've been playing for around 6 months, mostly offline
My skill level is around 5-5.5*

Recently on christmas, I switched from a membrane keyboard to a mechanical Razer Blackwidow V3 keyboard. I've always been frustrated about how I couldn't press fast enough yet I could read much faster patterns so I was wondering and looking for ways to get faster, if it was because of my physical limitations, desk height, how often I keep my fingers close to the keycaps to press faster and conserve more stamina, or if it was my keyboard that bottlenecks my skill, so I had to get a new keyboard for christmas.

I immediately started up osu!mania to test out my new keyboard, and my skill level went from 8th dan to 10th dan, I started A & S ranking some 6*-6.5* beatmaps, including ones that I would've never even imagined to pass. And I was only still getting used to the keyboard.

So I'm wondering if there's any better keyboard for osu!mania, especially ones that boosts your skill alot?
Rose Emp
Seeing your progression with your keyboard, you're doing well. But here is just a suggestion.

I don't know what switches your keyboard has, but in this case you would want the best switch and that would be the red switch (like Cherry MX red).

It's all about preference though, so you don't need to change your mechanical keyboard's switches, seeing how well your progression is going with the new keyboard.

I use laptop keyboard btw, and I find that best for me.
abraker
Caput Mortuum

abraker wrote:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1m8Lf3xk-LiU4ODjeulvq7ER1oX6R6Tez3AIpCtJAGqE/edit?resourcekey#gid=2008307854
hey you should pin or put this on useful links tbh. i remember looking for a similar spreadsheet but forgot where i kept the link
Dreading474
I don't know, honestly a good one is a keyboard with 1000 hz polling rate, for no chord splitting. Speedy switches would be good too, but honestly it's your preference
Hoshimegu Mio
Why play 4K when you can play a much better...

7K?

Orbitalss
idk which one is better but i have ck550 gateron red and apex pro mini
iShanoa
I'm using Royal Kludge RK61 (Brown Switches) - My old one was Tylex Blue Switch. I honestly think they're the same or maybe I'm just too noob to feel the difference but yeah, my new keyboard is sturdier so I will be using this for a veeery looong time.
JamesThePogger

iShanoa wrote:

I'm using Royal Kludge RK61 (Brown Switches) - My old one was Tylex Blue Switch. I honestly think they're the same or maybe I'm just too noob to feel the difference but yeah, my new keyboard is sturdier so I will be using this for a veeery looong time.
RK61 is a great keyboard lmao
cypherusuh
I'm firm believer that keyboard doesnt affect your skill as long as it doesnt have horrible n-key rollover (like playing 7k on 5-key rollover)

just use what you like and dont use SoundVoltex keys, unless you want extremely muscular finger
armiekart
Gateron brown switches (Dierya dk61 kb) boosted me all the way to 4 digit

Never been a fan of red switches bc I bottom out like crazy

Analog switches (Wooting 60he, Razer Huntsman mini) gave me a similar skillboost but always went back to my browns

Apex pro tkl is pretty awesome but again, I found myself seeing no benefits bc I bottom out linears

It's all preference imo, but I believe that browns are for accuracy and reds are for speed unless u dont bottom out.

(Edit; wooting is superior)
averageosupro
idk but i use a cyber pc keyboard it doesnt have swiches and its pretty bad beacause it doesnt give good accuracy me when i use it i get 82% accuracy on vibro spam songs and then i do no good
Kaaruumii

averageosupro wrote:

idk but i use a cyber pc keyboard it doesnt have swiches and its pretty bad beacause it doesnt give good accuracy me when i use it i get 82% accuracy on vibro spam songs and then i do no good
then buy a mechanical keyboard lol, here is a link to a ck552 with gateron reds if you need a proper keyboard from amazon (used)

also on ebay you can look up hyperX alloy origins (used) keyboards for around the same price if you want a different feel compared to a nice solid gateron red switch
pizzaboy
Lots of people claim the wootings60e is best I currently believe a cheap corsair is good enough to reach delta dan but I've heard from OTHERS that it's sort of required to reach any higher than epsilon to have a wootings

Personally I think it's not that important unless you have a doodoo dogwater keyboard
Stickman92
Mechanical keyboard with linear/tactile switches, n-Key rollover and 1000hz polling rate. As for browns,reds,blacks,etc thats all just personal preference. I prefer tactile switches.
Verdon

pizzaboy wrote:

Lots of people claim the wootings60e is best I currently believe a cheap corsair is good enough to reach delta dan but I've heard from OTHERS that it's sort of required to reach any higher than epsilon to have a wootings

Personally I think it's not that important unless you have a doodoo dogwater keyboard
wooting/other rapid trigger options can give an advantage for pushing but you don't really need them to reach the top. People have cleared epsilon with mac keyboards and I believe the first zeta clears were done pre-wooting. I reached nearly delta before replacing my crusty logitech keyboard.

as long as you have a keyboard that doesn't have any major issues like chordsplit, low polling rate or high latency, you should be fine.
kyky123
anything with red switches and 1000hz polling rate
Eyeonized
Mania is playable with almost any keyboard but the ones that minimise your mistakes are anything with rapid trigger features and 1k polling rate.

Buy two wooting uwus lol, or a wooting 80he if you want the best performance keyboard as far as im aware
pizzaboy
Drunkdeers are a good keyboard idk

I don't reccomend getting one for a while in order to not artificially boost confidence or get addicted to new keyboards or something lol