forum

AR11 help

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Almost
Could anyone give me some tips and some good practice maps for this thanks.
Lach
Very few people can play it, there's no secret to being good at it other than practice. I could probably count the people capable of playing it on both hands.
Thatgooey
Any map that is playable for you on DT, edit the map to set the approach rate to ar10 and DT will make it AR11. Play with this for days and days and weeks until you are reading them well enough to get comfortable wit the AR. There are no AR11 maps really in osu! that aren't dt/hr, and the OD is usually so high that it is frustrating to play. My advice is that if you want to just sit down and enjoy playing AR11, you mod DT maps to AR10 and play away. Who knows, maybe if you play it for long enough and practice it, you can gain the accuracy to do dt+hr on normal maps. Good luck!
Gnuu
Gamma and fullscreen makes it easier to read. Other than that, it's all about practice.
Topic Starter
Almost

Gnuu wrote:

Gamma and fullscreen makes it easier to read. Other than that, it's all about practice.
How does gamma help?
Koko Ban
increasing gamma/making monitor settings bright helps make circles appear a bit faster (disappear later when using HD) than playing with a normal screen, giving you a bit more time to react with the objects.

it also helps greatly on FL plays ;)
Topic Starter
Almost
Ah ok thanks.
Aqo
gamma doesn't help with shit lmao

as somebody who actually practiced AR11 and FC'd a map with DTHR (although only AR10.86) here is what I have to suggest for you:

1. Play stupidly high bpms. To learn AR11 you'll need to make huge leaps in your reaction ability. Find insanes, and I mean REAL insanes, val maps, zapy maps, etc, that are 180bpm or higher, and DTNF them. Notice -> not DTHR, only DT. Yes, I mean doubletime t+pazolite electric love, doubletime trillion years, et cetera.

2. Practice very small circles. Find maps you like and edit them to CS7 AR10 OD10 then play like that. Preferably maps with a tons of circles and jumps (if you don't like maps like this then what are you even doing wanting to train AR11).

3. Play DTHR+Relax on the same maps from group #1. Unlike when DTNFing them - where you'll basically be streaming nonstop during the entire play while aiming frantically and measuring your improvement by getting 23.5% instead of 23%, with relax you'll actually be able to see if you're reading right or wrong from the scoreboard in the end of the play. This will push your aim reading on this AR. (also notice, HR added here)

4. Between doing 1/2/3 above, every once in a while, do a [Hard] map that has AR7 with DTHRNF. Rules: You're not allowed to retry a map like this more than twice. So basically, play each [Hard] you choose for this two full runs, and then move on and don't touch it again for at least a week. This will work on your concentration instead of on your speed. Only start doing this after you spend at least 20 hours doing the above.

5. Watch AR10 maps (either AR10 nomod or AR10 after HR) with Auto, and set the replay speed to 2x on the right side button. While auto plays at 2x AR10 (which is AR11.5) follow what's happening on the screen with your cursor while clicking.

You should spend about one month doing all of the above, spending a total of about 100 hours doing all of this. Once you did all of this, you've made the first step towards reading AR11. Now you start the 2nd step:

Find AR7+ maps that you can FC with DT alone. Confirm that you can FC them by doing it. Then pick one of them and retry it with DTHR until you either FC or get bored. Once you're done with one map, move to another, and repeat this. Over time, you'll need less and less tries, and at this point you'll already be reading AR11 to an extent.

Well that's the gist of it.

Oh and one last tip:
Don't even consider starting to train AR11 if you can't at least pass the following two maps nomod:

http://osu.ppy.sh/s/52499 [Speed]
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/37065 [Poltergeist]

Or you'll just be wasting your time. (the speed needed for passing those is trivial compared to what you need to read AR11)
Purple

Almost wrote:

Could anyone give me some tips and some good practice maps for this thanks.
Here are some maps I have recently been trying (and failing) to FC. They should be good practice. TBH anything with OD6 or lower should be a good candidate for DTHR. For me playing OD10+ DT is like shooting myself in the balls, so yeah.

http://osu.ppy.sh/s/43714
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/60159
http://osu.ppy.sh/p/beatmap?b=155558&m=0
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/19577
http://osu.ppy.sh/b/153895&m=0 [Hard]
winber1
why is there any need to learn ar 11, i never cared or bothered
cr1mmy
But after you learn AR11 it will be hard to play all maps with AR <9.
If you want to FC some map with DT that gives AR11 - just spend 1-2 hours and play to FC, most of "Very few people can play it" - spend much time playing one map.
Aqo
It's not hard to transition from ARDTHR to AREZ once you have good foundations for both.
RaneFire

Koko Ban wrote:

increasing gamma/making monitor settings bright helps make circles appear a bit faster (disappear later when using HD) than playing with a normal screen, giving you a bit more time to react with the objects.

Does your screen burn easily or is this just a play on your retina?
Thatgooey

Aqo wrote:

as somebody who actually practiced AR11 and FC'd a map with DTHR (although only AR10.86) here is what I have to suggest for you:

1. Play stupidly high bpms. To learn AR11 you'll need to make huge leaps in your reaction ability. Find insanes, and I mean REAL insanes, val maps, zapy maps, etc, that are 180bpm or higher, and DTNF them. Notice -> not DTHR, only DT. Yes, I mean doubletime t+pazolite electric love, doubletime trillion years, et cetera.

2. Practice very small circles. Find maps you like and edit them to CS7 AR10 OD10 then play like that. Preferably maps with a tons of circles and jumps (if you don't like maps like this then what are you even doing wanting to train AR11).

3. Play DTHR+Relax on the same maps from group #1. Unlike when DTNFing them - where you'll basically be streaming nonstop during the entire play while aiming frantically and measuring your improvement by getting 23.5% instead of 23%, with relax you'll actually be able to see if you're reading right or wrong from the scoreboard in the end of the play. This will push your aim reading on this AR. (also notice, HR added here)

4. Between doing 1/2/3 above, every once in a while, do a [Hard] map that has AR7 with DTHRNF. Rules: You're not allowed to retry a map like this more than twice. So basically, play each [Hard] you choose for this two full runs, and then move on and don't touch it again for at least a week. This will work on your concentration instead of on your speed. Only start doing this after you spend at least 20 hours doing the above.

5. Watch AR10 maps (either AR10 nomod or AR10 after HR) with Auto, and set the replay speed to 2x on the right side button. While auto plays at 2x AR10 (which is AR11.5) follow what's happening on the screen with your cursor while clicking.

You should spend about one month doing all of the above, spending a total of about 100 hours doing all of this. Once you did all of this, you've made the first step towards reading AR11. Now you start the 2nd step:

Find AR7+ maps that you can FC with DT alone. Confirm that you can FC them by doing it. Then pick one of them and retry it with DTHR until you either FC or get bored. Once you're done with one map, move to another, and repeat this. Over time, you'll need less and less tries, and at this point you'll already be reading AR11 to an extent.

Oh and one last tip:
Don't even consider starting to train AR11 if you can't at least pass the following two maps nomod:

Or you'll just be wasting your time. (the speed needed for passing those is trivial compared to what you need to read AR11)
Playing with relax mod isn't going to help you read ar11 lol, moving the cursor to the circle isn't the hard part. Playing unranked ar10 maps (crn/zapy for example) with relax isn't going to help you play ar11. Playing AR11 will help you play AR11. Your keyboard hand can't even keep up with that, much less both at the same time. Those maps are far too difficult for any player of any skill level with DT-forced AR10. Like I said before, take some TV size maps that are heavily SS'd with Double Time and set the AR to 10 in your editor and practice that way first. No use playing relax mod ever to try and get better at something. I wouldn't start with dt+hr first, either. The OD will be too high and the circles could possibly be too small for your comfort level to jump into right away. Learn one thing at a time. Start with getting used to the approach rate. You shouldn't be "frantically aiming around the screen". You want to get control of it, not struggle to keep up with it. That's not learning, that's just doing random shit without purpose.

There isn't a trick to learn ar10, there aren't special settings that make you able to play it, you just have to hold your focus and use all resources available. Trust your ears more than your eyes. If your ears are telling you to play notes, but your eyes can't see them yet, go with what your ears tell you. Some patterns are really hard to read with your eyes, so you can either try to read with your ears or use trial and error and spam retries. AR11 will make you tire out mentally a lot faster than other things on osu, so don't expect to be playing long sessions. Play it for chunks of 15-20 minutes at a time. 20 minutes of AR11, go read stuff online or grab a snack or something and take a 5 minute break, and then play for another 15 minutes or so. Once you get used to it, you wont tire so quickly, but you will at first. It is taxing.
[Kanzaki Ranko]

RaneFire wrote:

Koko Ban wrote:

Does your screen burn easily or is this just a play on your retina?
This is a play on one's retina, lol.

I don't find it noticeable unless playing FL, though. High contrast FL (preferrably with a white BG) is waaaaaaaaaay easier than normal FL.
Koko Ban
idk. but i see a noticeable improvement on my HD+HR plays on moderate AR maps (like most hards) when i use gamma tweaks instead of playing with normal screen brightness.

the high contrast helps keep the fading less obvious that's why it looks like the objects stay a bit longer than usual.
-Ryosuke
Just get used to play AR11 maps. aka DT+HR

personally I just stop try to read the map, I mean, in my mind it's like "oh a circle, gotta click it" without thinking like "oh my god how should I read that pattern" or what, hope it'll help you. \o/
Topic Starter
Almost

Aqo wrote:

Oh and one last tip:

If I try to play AR11 at the moment, I don't have any problems hitting the circle, I only have problems reacting to it since I get a lot of 100s and 50s so I don't think practicing small circle sizes and playing relax will help me out much.
enik
I never really practiced ar11, sometimes I can't even play ar10, but there are times when I randomly can pass (or at least pass) ar11 map (no I don't). Think it's all about playing ar11 + feeling korean inside.

cr1m wrote:

If you want to FC some map with DT that gives AR11 - just spend 1-2 hours and play to FC, most of "Very few people can play it" - spend much time playing one map.
qft, one very underrated guy who actually did bamboo dance DT x1 miss (without 100s) says ar11 involves a lot of map memorization (not like FL, but muscle memory I guess).
Lach
10.3 is very different to ar11
winber1
with my very few attempts at even caring to try AR11, like some people said or implied, I do feel that there is more of a feeling of memorization rather than actually reading it. Reading 1/2 tick notes and sliders are often fine, but when triplets or streams come up I just get all adhfawjefklzsw and miss or get low accuracy.

though with enough practice you will be able to get better at reading it, but I still feel there is an aspect of memorization. It's not completely reaction time, even if you think it is, unless you are playing a pretty damn easy map.
Aqo
It's not exactly memorization it's more like already knowing what you're supposed to do with the pattern once it appears. Which is why playing high BPMs and small circles helps.
Tanzklaue

winber1 wrote:

with my very few attempts at even caring to try AR11, like some people said or implied, I do feel that there is more of a feeling of memorization rather than actually reading it. Reading 1/2 tick notes and sliders are often fine, but when triplets or streams come up I just get all adhfawjefklzsw and miss or get low accuracy.

though with enough practice you will be able to get better at reading it, but I still feel there is an aspect of memorization. It's not completely reaction time, even if you think it is, unless you are playing a pretty damn easy map.
exactly my problems with AR10.

I don't think any human can learn to really sightread AR11. AR10 is already impossible for many people without memorizing 1/4s, and AR11 is something only few people will ever be able to really master.
then again, you don't need AR11 sightreading, because you won't encounter it naturaly. technically even being able to read AR10 is kind of not that useful since you only need it for 3 maps (maybe 4, I don't know how many old AR10 maps there are exactly), though you most likely will learn it at one point or another if you bother playing HR.

tl;dr
don't bother with high AR too much, as it is mostly pointless and you most likely will learn how to play the highest common AR (AR10) automatically as you improve.
RaneFire
For comparison, as some of you know, aim400kg has the "Fast-aim Pro" mode which you have to click a circle which appears in random locations within 300ms! The same time frame as AR11. I can average hitting about 5 circles out of the 70'ish that appear. My fastest aim time is only 290ms. The other 90% of the time I'm slower or miss (a lot more misses). So that's my fastest reaction time to a pre-trained decision based on only 1 criteria that will present itself... ever.

When you start to factor in input delays, video rendering delays and stuff like that (minor) and that fact average "honest" human reflexes are about 200ms, varying only slightly (depends how "trained" your reflexes are - everyone can train), not counting the necessity to make decisions regarding using your 2nd finger for 1/4's... AR11 is probably very close to, if not a good definition of the "limit" one can potentially play in osu! Sure... you have music to aid you, but for the most part it's going to be memorisation.

As for decision making ability involved with reading: I would say a good guide on your fastest achievable speed you can hope to read one day would be just to double your "honest" reflex time. I first got this idea many years ago after reading about instinctive reflexes and cognitive reflexes. Cognitive reflexes should be faster, but our sense of consciousness always interferes with this because the me/I/myself always like to take part, we aren't robots. Any attempt to repeatedly hit 300ms appearances is going to be the most stressful experience of your life.

So assuming the time to make a decision based on pre-trained criteria is similar to your instinctive reflex (ability to send the signal thereafter), while still leaving room for the "me" aspect... for most of us this combined time will be 400ms aka AR 10.33 which quite a number of people can play and read already. Although with lots of mistakes and retries, it's not pure memorisation.

It may sound like a reverse engineered argument, and it is, but I've mulled over it for years and I thought osu! might be a good ground to test my argument.

So if you wanna play AR11... in theory -Kamui-'s advice is probably the closest to the truth. Try to play without trying to make decisions, learn the different criterias the hard way:

-Kamui- wrote:

Just get used to play AR11 maps. aka DT+HR

personally I just stop try to read the map, I mean, in my mind it's like "oh a circle, gotta click it" without thinking like "oh my god how should I read that pattern" or what, hope it'll help you. \o/
enik
Waait, do we actually talk about AR10+DT and not AR9+DT? lol I'm out. (thought we call the higher one AR12 :?)
Full Tablet

enik wrote:

Waait, do we actually talk about AR10+DT and not AR9+DT? lol I'm out. (thought we call the higher one AR12 :?)
AR10+DT = AR11
AR7+DT+HR=AR10.87
AR9+DT=AR10.33

This is based on the AR table (where, for high AR values, each AR unit is a 150ms difference), and I think it is the most logical way to name those AR values.
Wishy
AR 9 DT was called AR 11 and AR 10 was called AR 12 forever, but since the time some table came up and it actually showed that technically AR 10 DT is AR 11 (response time between ARs gets 150ms lower per level, AR 10 is 450ms iirc, AR 10 DT is 300ms, so it's 11). Apparently the current trend is AR 10 DT = AR 11, and then you got 10.33 and 10.87. I just call them AR 9 DT or AR 10 DT to avoid confusion.

Anyways, to be honest:

AR 10.3 is "ok". There are a few maps with this AR that can be FC'd by not extremely good players, not many tho, most of AR 9 DTeable maps I can think of (ignoring AR) are extremely hard per se and I think my fingers are more than enough to count how many players can somehow FC them (talking about people who can properly FC them, I can FC stuff like Yasashisa if I retry a lot, if I could play the AR of course). But then you got a few maps which can actually be full comboed by not rrtyui tier players, but I don't think it's really worth it. (Try Bamboo Dance on the AR that fits you most, if you can't easily FC that then give up, I'd dare to say that map would have top 50 DT FCs if it wasn't AR 9, with this I mean easy FC, no more than 3 or 4 plays)

ARs over that are... meh, what are you gonna do? Search for [Hard]s with AR 7 to DT HR? Good if you want to farm pp, but that's it.

AR 11 is just... I think it's pointless, mostly because you will have to play [Insane]s with DT HR (unless again you want to farm pp on [Hard]s) and even if you can read the AR, OD is gonna be just too high, and the effort it requires to properly play max AR is not worth it. I can't think of any player that can play it to be honest, there was some guy from Sweden who could but got banned (for some reason I don't know about) and then if I had to guess I would say some speed player, but then again not worth the effort.

tl;dr: Don't bother playing those ARs, very few maps to play them on unless you are a high end player already, which I'm quite sure you are not.

Tip: Playing very high ARs, for many players that are supposedly super good at them, means also to retry a few times to remember hard to read parts. Right now I can't play AR 10 at all, yet I can play a few AR 10.3 DTs just because I remember the map a little bit, so I don't need to react to sudden triplets or streams, or weird jumps/patterns, because I already know they are coming. Not being able to play AR 10 properly I almost got an FC on http://osu.ppy.sh/s/27915, not a hard map but I couldn't see a thing but inb4 retried the map some times.
Topic Starter
Almost

Tanzklaue wrote:

AR10 is already impossible for many people without memorizing 1/4s
I can sort of sightread streams on AR10 mostly fine now (actually doing them with good accuracy is another story though).

Wishy wrote:

AR 10.3 is "ok". There are a few maps with this AR that can be FC'd by not extremely good players, not many tho, most of AR 9 DTeable maps I can think of (ignoring AR) are extremely hard per se and I think my fingers are more than enough to count how many players can somehow FC them (talking about people who can properly FC them, I can FC stuff like Yasashisa if I retry a lot, if I could play the AR of course). But then you got a few maps which can actually be full comboed by not rrtyui tier players, but I don't think it's really worth it. (Try Bamboo Dance on the AR that fits you most, if you can't easily FC that then give up, I'd dare to say that map would have top 50 DT FCs if it wasn't AR 9, with this I mean easy FC, no more than 3 or 4 plays)
Playing AR10.3 feels exactly how I felt when trying to learn AR10, 1/4s are difficult but the rest is alright. The only difference is that as you put it, maps that are AR9 are just really difficult to play with DT in general.

Wishy wrote:

tl;dr: Don't bother playing those ARs, very few maps to play them on unless you are a high end player already, which I'm quite sure you are not.
I really just want to be able to play them for fun I guess.
MillhioreF
You should focus on reading AR5 and lower instead. Tons more maps with that.
Topic Starter
Almost
But those are too slow :(
Defacer
­
Tanzklaue

Defacer wrote:

I'd agree with you an year ago probably.Like everything in life, osu! evolves and in my honest opinion a lot more players(including me) ~since the start of 2013 started playing/learning/grinding >ar10.And in an year ar10.3 would be ~common in the better 1/3 of the osu player community(cuz there are some people just chatting 8-) ).
I can guarantee you that it won't be the standard to play insanes with DT in a year. even now there are almost no people that can really sightread AR10 (probably less than 200 people), and the reading part would be the smaller problem with DTing those maps.
Wishy

Almost wrote:

I can sort of sightread streams on AR10 mostly fine now (actually doing them with good accuracy is another story though).

Playing AR10.3 feels exactly how I felt when trying to learn AR10, 1/4s are difficult but the rest is alright. The only difference is that as you put it, maps that are AR9 are just really difficult to play with DT in general.

I really just want to be able to play them for fun I guess.
Well I guess that's good then, I also started practicing AR 10.3 just for fun since I'm not interested on setting records, if that's what you like then that's it. :p

Tanzklaue wrote:

I can guarantee you that it won't be the standard to play insanes with DT in a year. even now there are almost no people that can really sightread AR10 (probably less than 200 people), and the reading part would be the smaller problem with DTing those maps.
This game is full of players who can read AR 10 and I'm quite sure the number is way over 200, leaving that aside I agree with you.

Defacer wrote:

I'd agree with you an year ago probably.Like everything in life, osu! evolves and in my honest opinion a lot more players(including me) ~since the start of 2013 started playing/learning/grinding >ar10.And in an year ar10.3 would be ~common in the better 1/3 of the osu player community(cuz there are some people just chatting 8-) ).

As for ar11 - it feels like when I tried ar10.3 when my highest playable ar was 10, I couldn't play it all, so that makes me want to think that if I try enough I will get used to it.But HARD+dthr just feels meh.Although it will help me drastically at ar10.3 consistency, I shall fak up my ar9 even more :(
Not really. We are talking about two huge different things. Not only AR 10 is way easier to learn (this is a fact for a number of reasons that I don't think I need to enumerate) but is also more useful. Learning AR 10.3 or higher, aside from being harder, means you will end up playing extremely hard maps that not only you won't be able to read at all but are also hard as fuck. As I told OP, Bamboo Dance and that ~one more encore~ map are two examples, if you can't FC those maps w/o even trying on the AR that suits you most then it's quite pointless to learn the AR, because most maps where you will be playing it are on a complete different level.

On the other hand, if you really feel like learning it, the best thing would be (I did this and it was quite nice) to start editing maps you liked to DT on AR 8 to AR 9, or AR 7 to DT HR. That's actually quite entertaining since you get to be challenged by the same songs you once were on regular AR 8 DT, which for me was quite fun to be honest, and the only reason why I started learning AR 10.3 until I dropped it. It doesn't took that long to learn anyways, I must have played it for 2 or 3 days and was already able to clear several 240~255 BPM insanes on that AR, but then again now I can't see a thing and how to play AR 10 so this game is bad. :(

The best way to be good is not to rush high ARs, that doesn't really work, since all you can do is... whack-a-mole.
show more