forum

i can't rank up or skillboost anymore

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
bananahira
the title, some of the maps i was able to do well now i struggle with them on some skillsets, some times my fingers freeze up and i cant play stamina like i was able to do, lot of friends have surpassed me both on skill and rank and that just makes me depressed as fuck.

i need more training? more rests than the ones i've had? playing more that i already did?

i hit a skill wall really hard and i feel horribly sad, i cant do maps over 5.5* and up and i'm not able to even pass a lot of "farm maps" or DT/NC some of them.

i know that ranking up isn't important as some people say, but the players that told me that rank doesn't matter are top players or way more skilled players than me and that makes me sad.

what i need to do? training a lot and following a lot of tips haven't worked so well as they told me
DeltaNami
It's pretty common to hit a skill wall around the 5.5*+ area, and that's mostly because sr is shit lmao. Most maps above that level have to have some kind of ridiculous patterns to achieve that sr, so a lot of ranked maps above that are way harder than they would seem.

Obviously playing more and playing smarter is always the best advice to follow in these cases, but most important is to be patient. Chances are you've hit a plateau, and that might last a really long time.

While you're in that stage, I'd recommend really looking into your skillsets and also setting goals.

-Skillsets
  1. find what you excel at and either put that on the backburner or focus even more on it
  2. Make sure to abuse rates and different maps as much as you can to slowly increase your reading and dexterity (progressive overload)
  3. Don't focus too much on constantly improving and getting better scores, and focus more on pushing yourself in those areas
-Goals
  1. Find a map you want to pass or get a certain score on
  2. Figure out what's holding you back from that (i.e. not enough stamina, jacks are too fast, lose too much acc on an LN section, etc.) and focus on improving those skills needed to overcome those barriers.
  3. You can also do this with rank, where you replace what skills are needed with what pp maps you could improve on or pass in the first place - then repeat the previous step
Lastly, breaks are a very difficult thing to get right, but they will do wonders. Since mania at this level is a very physically intense activity, you need time to recover and rebuild what you learned, so playing TOO much is actually a bad thing. (That and injury can also happen) However, there are cases like myself where I recently came back from a 2 month break and saw massive improvements in my 7k plays almost immediately.

Don't forget that patience is key, and every single step of this will take time. Once you start expecting things sooner than you are able to achieve, you'll lose motivation and give up, so keep pushing and have fun! It's a game after all, so who really cares how high of a rank or how fast your HS speed is!

Hope this helps, and I apologize for the ungodly long post!
Hoshimegu Mio
Begin mapping!
Entropy21
you should start creating collections for different skillsets at this point.

the important ones are tech, stream(speed,jumpstream,handstream), stamina, jacks(jackspeed,chordjack) and dumps.
and then there is long notes, sv's and vibro.

this way you can pinpoint what skillsets you need to improve on.

and also take breaks, no seriously take a break, a day or two, weeks or maybe even a month. playing everyday is fine tho
Haengsyo
Play 7k!
Dkuya
I Don't know, Play more?
UltraBlack
The 5 star barrier is the longest in the entire game, you will never get out of it even when you get into the top 100, if you feel you are getting worse then try playing the maps 2 or 3 times it can help. Also, stamina is complicated so if you wanna have a good section i recommend starting the section warming with one of those. If you feel that dt/nc maps are too heavy then you are not warmed enough or you are playing maps that you can'y handle, if a map is too fast down your scroll by 1. The last thing and may the unuseful, your skin, if you are watching too many lives or videos you can end confusing yourself. Play more and enjoy the game, the area you are going to get in is even harder so if you want pp and ranks you first need to get the ability and remember that everybody has a different skill progression, meanwhile some people can get to delta in one year other (like me) get to alpha in 2 year, no matter which of then you are, keep trying and not giving up is the right way to do it.