forum

Kiai time induces lag [Resolved]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Wojjan
On various moments of gameplay, I (and seeing the amount of disable requests, a lot of others) have experienced lag in Kiai time sections. Since peppy likes Kiai, and hence won't implement a disabling function (which is pretty silly, since people who like it can keep it on) I listed some of the most recurring causes of lag. Feel free to complete my list with specific examples

Various causes:
1) Double time blinking in kiai time -Fixed after I told peppy on IRC-
2) Kiai fountains and combo stars in combination with SB (see The Walk for an example, near the end)
4) Kiai blinking on a high BPM (see Monkey Island for a sort of relevant example)
5) Overused Kiai (Certain Moskau diffs. I can't name one off the top of my head, the ones where there's a fountain on every "Moskau")
6) Kiai fountains during gameplay, especially on hard maps with tons of Objects (taboo tears you up is a good example, after the way too short spinner)
7) Kiai time near the end of songs, when you're increasing in ranks on the song. You get another flash aside from the stars with every other note orso. -Can be fixed, but is a pain in the butt to aim for 1st place then-

Again, feel free to add extra examples.
I do admit that my PC isn't the latest model from Mars, built in the city of Zog with GRFLM technology, but it meets the minimum requirements, and can decently play any map without any of the previously mentioned situations (with exceptions on certain SB'd maps).
Ultimate
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
GladiOol
On/Off button Kiai.

Tadaa~ problem solved.
peppy
#4 is also fixed.

@wojjan: make sure your graphics card drivers are up to date if you haven't done so yet. I'd also advise checking your d3d settings for mipmap quality/forcing antialiasing (and test turning these down).
Topic Starter
Wojjan

Gladi wrote:

On/Off button Kiai.

Tadaa~ problem solved.
I tried, along with various others.
As for peppy's suggestions, I checked my graphics card, and it meets the system requirements (but nothing much moer than that) but I wouldn't have a clue on what a d3d is
anonymous_old

Wojjan wrote:

but I wouldn't have a clue on what a d3d is
Do you have settings for your video card? nVidia CP, Catalyst, etc.? Configure for "Performance" and not "Quality" if you can.
Henkie
It's not only the lag that's bothering me (although i DO lagg with kiai since i have no videocard in my laptop lol..)
but i also see some maps (i can't name some at the moment) where notes are half covered by the fountain, or it's just distracting when a fountain comes up.
I suggest an on/off button like gladi said, there are enough people besides peppy who like kiai.
people who experience lag or distraction SHOULD be able to disable kiai
i myself dont hate kiai, but also i get distracted alot by kiai (fountains), and of course experience lag..
Celestral
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
anonymous_old
A kiai toggle will not be implemented. Don't bother asking. Please.

If kiai streams/fountains are covering up notes, report those maps.

If there are serious graphic issues with kiai, report those too.

If kiai lags your computer, post your specs. Try turning off some settings in osu! or reducing settings through your graphics driver so kiai doesn't lag the game. If you're at or beyond minimum specs you should not have a problem.
awp
Distraction is not an acceptable excuse to disable kiai. That's like saying "the beatmap moves too fast for me to play along, there should be an option to slow it down".

Regarding "losing" the cursor during kiai, if you have this problem, just modify your cursor image to have a bolder, darker outline (or use a different skin).

Regarding lag - idk upgrade? My 4 year old PC can handle it, so you could build a completely new computer capable of running osu! at 60fps for like 500 bux. Or upgrade your existing machine for ~50.
Jarby
peppy
I'm deleting any posts which relate to bypasses, btw.

This will no longer be possible in upcoming versions, anyway.
Kitsunemimi

awp wrote:

Regarding lag - idk upgrade? My 4 year old PC can handle it, so you could build a completely new computer capable of running osu! at 60fps for like 500 bux. Or upgrade your existing machine for ~50.
My 1 year old laptop can't run Kiai with all the functions disabled. You know why? Because it's for a school laptop program in which those retards took out our Nvidia goodness and replaced it with an Intel chipset. So some of us can't get new computers simply because we're lucky we even have one. Just saying though, because Kiai does cause lag which occasionally kills me.
Echo

awp wrote:

That's like saying "the beatmap moves too fast for me to play along, there should be an option to slow it down".
*cough* Half time *cough*
kideddie1501
yes, it does but even my 2004 hp computer with the most basic graphics card can run Kiai without crashing.
Kitsunemimi

kideddie1501 wrote:

yes, it does but even my 2004 hp computer with the most basic graphics card can run Kiai without crashing.
First of all, lag isn't crashing. And second of all, what kind of "basic" graphics card is your computer packing?
Score_Under

strager wrote:

A kiai toggle will not be implemented. Don't bother asking. Please.
Can't there at least be a "lightweight kiai" so that people won't have to buy a whole new computer just to pass a song where it lags? (By this, I mean very little blending, e.g. completely opaque stars that bounce off the notes so the notes remain visible, and for flashing maybe do the blending before loading the song and use the already-prepared sprite?)

It seems a little silly not to be able to disable a graphics-intensive function in a rhythm game.
peppy
awp
How graphics intensive is it? I think peppy tests osu! on a 1GHz machine with some cheapo GPU or something archaic like that
Fwenny
Disabling kiai, no.
But making the effects lighter, that might be a good thing to do.
peppy
Intel 945GM onboard, core2duo clocked at 800mhz is my current testbed.

(+) Added adjustments for lower-spec'd PCs.

new configuration option which should help.
QuiteLucky
Same here as well, whenever it comes up on the screen, I get laggy, until I miss a note. Its quite frustrating.

~Lucky
Kitsunemimi
QuiteLucky

Harris73 wrote:

undercoverlucky wrote:

Same here as well, whenever it comes up on the screen, I get laggy, until I miss a note. Its quite frustrating.

~Lucky
The new 'Low-end PC' function helps reduce lag in Kiai.
Alright, thanks ^_^

~Lucky
Sleep Powder
<-- hates kiai time because of lag
At least it doesn't lag for me much now though....
thought I would lag in peppy's new beatmap
*deletes partial flame post*