forum

Recent Beatmapping Contest

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Shadow
I want to make a suggestion for any future Beatmapping Contest that they discard the lowest and the highest scores then calculate the mean value of the remaining scores. To make it more un-biased. (Towards a particular individual, current mood at time of judging, or dislike of the song) In my opinion it would be more fair.

I went and took the results I found in here and compiled a google excel sheet. I only took scores which where fairly high and valid submissions.

osu! Beatmapping Contest #4 google excel sheet

I removed the highest and lowest scores and calculated the remaining scores. I also calculated the scores with each judge removed for interest sake.

And I must say, I was quite shocked with the findings.

Edit:
PS, each song has its own tab in the bottom
Cyclohexane
Pretty interesting, I have to admit. Of course the results are going to change depending on whoever looks at the maps, and since mapping now is so subjective, pretty much any kind of ranking could have happened, but it certainly is pretty interesting to look at the analysis of these results that way for what they are worth.

Unfortunately I don't see anything emerging from this other than drama because "if x hadn't downvoted y, they would have won" etc etc. Still, kudos for the work, I had fun looking at the results.

edit: wow my wording is absolutely dreadful, how to grammar
Topic Starter
Shadow
Well, the suggestion was for future tournaments. And if anyone comes in here and starts flaming, that's not the intent of this thread. The current comp has already passed. Nothing is gonna change that =)

It was just interesting to crunch a few numbers. I'm not blaming or pointing fingers at anyone.
Shohei Ohtani
haha Kyshiro still won
Topic Starter
Shadow

CDFA wrote:

haha Kyshiro still won
But [CSGA]Ar3sgice would have come second and this is a huge jump from 6th lol.
Ayu

CDFA wrote:

haha Kyshiro still won
Ekaru
Admit it - you just wanted an excuse to post what the scores would be without Shiro in there, didn't you? ;P

BTW, what you did was fine the median score for each map. Fine by me, though.
Moway

CDFA wrote:

haha Kyshiro still won
Topic Starter
Shadow

Ekaru wrote:

Admit it - you just wanted an excuse to post what the scores would be without Shiro in there, didn't you? ;P

BTW, what you did was fine the median score for each map. Fine by me, though.
I'll admit to the fact that the excel sheet was born because of Shiro (I wasn't even going to post the results), but its not the main purpose of this thread. I wanted to partake in this contest but sadly real life kept me fairly busy and I never completed the beatmap. I also know I'm no pro mapper, but I can make some nice stuff if I put my mind to it. If I submitted my map and all the judges but one gave me a fairly good score, that would suck.

So I thought, maybe future competitions can remove the highest and lowest scores and us the median as a result, making it a lot more unbiased. And that's when I added the low/high into the document and posted the results =p

You have also have to admit, in fuzz fuss Shiro's voting which consisted of only low scores expect one, threw the whole thing off balance. I will in no way believe that Lesjuh map deserved a 13. But yet again, this is in the past and it cant be changed.

I just hope the people conducting these comps will take this suggestion into consideration, it will make things a lot more fair in my opinion.