1. osu! forums
  2. osu!
  3. Gameplay & Rankings

posted
REST IN PEACE, TABLET PEN NIB #1
YOU SERVED ME WELL :cry:

In just over a week, I had to replace my tablet pen nib. It had gotten to a point where it was kind of sharp, short enough so that the pen itself starts touching the tablet surface, and kind of tricky to take out of the pen.

I got it out and replaced it with a brand new one, but this concerns me. I read about graphic artists nibs lasting them two years, and mine lasts a week.

Obviously when playing, i have the pen on the surface. Before someone comes in and complains how you can play without putting the pen on the surface, you need to understand i require tactile feedback whenever i do pretty much anything with my computer. I have a highly clicky keyboard and i kind of need to have the pen on the surface as a reference point for me to be comfortable. I'm sure many people think the same way as myself.

Back to what i was saying before, i'm somewhat concerned my first nib dies so quickly. So do you guys have any ideas about this? Is it regular that they are lasting this long? Are there any adjustments to my playstyle that i can make WITHOUT HAVING TO HOVER? Are there other types of nibs i can buy that will hold on longer than my current ones(Saw white ones that where made to last longer)? I'm using a bamboo splash pen or whatever with 3 of the ones that come with the tablet. Thanks.
posted
Stick a piece of tape on your pen nib imo.
posted

kookookook wrote:

Stick a piece of tape on your pen nib imo.
Really? Does this actually work? what kind of tape
posted
A normal adhesive tape. Also, I place a plastic folder above the tablet and so it will not scratch (I wonder if you have this problem too)
posted

kookookook wrote:

A normal adhesive tape. Also, I place a plastic folder above the tablet and so it will not scratch (I wonder if you have this problem too)
Obviously, but the scratches i have currently are very hard to see and unimportant. The tablet hasn't actually really been scratched yet. A good idea though, even though i kind of do like the rough matte surface of the tablet.

Edit: How do you apply the tape? just wrap tape all around the head of the pen?
posted
There are protective covers that you can buy to protect the surface of your tablet.
http://www.amazon.com/POSRUS-Bamboo-Cap ... pd_sim_e_4
posted
I've never tried this, so I don't know if it's good idea or not. But can't you just take out your nibs and play without it? You only need your pen to be on the surface and not to click, right? Or if your pen had an eraser like mine, use that side instead.
posted
you're pressing way too hard into the tablet, try to use a much lighter touch

my pen nibs lasted for months

asakuraShinji wrote:

I've never tried this, so I don't know if it's good idea or not. But can't you just take out your nibs and play without it? You only need your pen to be on the surface and not to click, right? Or if your pen had an eraser like mine, use that side instead.
Yes, you can play completely without pen nibs installed (I do now). There is a sensor inside the pen that picks up movement; you are not required to touch the pen to the surface of the tablet for it to function.
posted

Mathsma wrote:

There are protective covers that you can buy to protect the surface of your tablet.
http://www.amazon.com/POSRUS-Bamboo-Cap ... pd_sim_e_4
Having a protective cover is undoubtedly the most efficient but imo it is not a smart decision to buy a product which can be replaced by cheap stuff without affecting the function much. It's but tablet, not smartphone.

asakuraShinji wrote:

I've never tried this, so I don't know if it's good idea or not. But can't you just take out your nibs and play without it? You only need your pen to be on the surface and not to click, right? Or if your pen had an eraser like mine, use that side instead.
It is a good idea when you hover. But when you drag, the pen tip will be worn out as the pen nibs did.
posted

GenoClysm wrote:

REST IN PEACE, TABLET PEN NIB #1
YOU SERVED ME WELL :cry:

In just over a week, I had to replace my tablet pen nib. It had gotten to a point where it was kind of sharp, short enough so that the pen itself starts touching the tablet surface, and kind of tricky to take out of the pen.

I got it out and replaced it with a brand new one, but this concerns me. I read about graphic artists nibs lasting them two years, and mine lasts a week.

Obviously when playing, i have the pen on the surface. Before someone comes in and complains how you can play without putting the pen on the surface, you need to understand i require tactile feedback whenever i do pretty much anything with my computer. I have a highly clicky keyboard and i kind of need to have the pen on the surface as a reference point for me to be comfortable. I'm sure many people think the same way as myself.

Back to what i was saying before, i'm somewhat concerned my first nib dies so quickly. So do you guys have any ideas about this? Is it regular that they are lasting this long? Are there any adjustments to my playstyle that i can make WITHOUT HAVING TO HOVER? Are there other types of nibs i can buy that will hold on longer than my current ones(Saw white ones that where made to last longer)? I'm using a bamboo splash pen or whatever with 3 of the ones that come with the tablet. Thanks.
O___O The heck!?

My pen nib is starting to wear & tear and is slanted to one side but I've been using it for 2 years and it's nowhere to uhm... "Breaking"?

One week is a short lifespan... Kinda weird, the stylus is supposed to be more durable, in your case that is.
posted
I taped an overhead sheet to my tablet surface (folded it around and taped it in tension on the back.). Overhead sheets are those clear plastic sheets of paper for use by teachers. Ive had no problems with pen tip wear, but at first the overhead sheet seems very slick, but it eventually wears in a bit and becomes a little better feeling.
posted
My pen nibs lasted like 1 to 2 days.... I will try the tape now. :)
posted
posted
I tried wrapping my pen nib in tape like the people above suggested. It kinda work but it was a little rough and sticky. So I stick the tape onto my own working area on my tablet so I didn't have to stick the whole tablet. It didn't affect gameplay and was rather comfortable too. You might want to try it too.
posted

YozukoHazuki wrote:

You might want to try it too.
Thanks for the tip, but..... Please check the date of the thread before posting next time.
Please sign in to reply.