forum

Where all the classical music maps at?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Dukku
Is it really hard to map or something? Yes there are a few but its very hard to find a good one. I listen to classical music quite a lot as play osu. There are some melodies from classical music that would be so fun to play on this game but there really seems to be lacking maps which I find kinda odd. Anybody have any thoughts on why there are so little?
7ambda
You're surrounded by weeb culture
WitherMite
hard to time well unless its recent and made digitally.

a poor attempt I made at timing Mars by Gustav Holst way back when i was dumb and just tried to map whatever.

Zelzatter Zero
One word: Timing.

Unless it's made digitally, classical songs ain't that easy to time. One song can have tons of BPM change even in 1 sec and it's extremely hard to capture them all.

Examples:

MiddleIsland - Roze

Torleif Thedéen - Suite Nr.1 G-Dur, BWV 1007 I. Prélude

TheKingHenry
basically what people have said, it's mostly about timing

then again,

7ambda wrote:

You're surrounded by weeb culture
this also has some semblance of truth, as people will of course prefer to map something they themselves like, and not everyone is too big on classical music. Then out of that smaller group that would be interested, practically no one wants to do the timing work.

Also related to timing, it's not only the raw work for the thing itself, but extreme timing also poses additional challenges for you as a mapper so that your map is still fun to play in a rhythm-oriented game, as very variable timing may easily feel clunky to play if you don't do good job at accommodating for it in your mapping.
Nao Tomori
aside from timing i think a lot of classical music is actually just bad for mapping. the dynamic lows are not well conveyed, and standard has a very bad time properly representing slow but intense parts because high spacing doesnt work well at low bpm and high sv can feel very strangely out of place. most songs that get mapped stay within a relatively small dynamic range because that's what works best for a rhythm game as it stays engaging throughout.
Ryu Sei
Hold my red timing.

If it's about timing, you can, technically, do the timing. Be warned with the pain of timing the dynamics though.

I hear there is an external editor which can do its job for manual timing, named Arrow Vortex. It is Stepmania .sm editor though, but it can do its job well if you need to figure out the timing. Your only job in osu! becomes simple; figure out the first red timing offset.
TheKingHenry

Nao Tomori wrote:

aside from timing i think a lot of classical music is actually just bad for mapping. the dynamic lows are not well conveyed, and standard has a very bad time properly representing slow but intense parts because high spacing doesnt work well at low bpm and high sv can feel very strangely out of place. most songs that get mapped stay within a relatively small dynamic range because that's what works best for a rhythm game as it stays engaging throughout.
yeah, this too