forum

Asking for advice to all veteran and novice mappers out there

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
NOBLE_COOKIE
Hello! I plan to start my journey in beatmapping. I checked some tutorials on the basics and stuff but I feel that there might be some stuff the tutorials missed.

I would like to please ask a couple of questions but feel free to give advice that I did not add in my questions

1. What type of song(s) should I choose as a trainer for mapping?

2. Should I start with Osu!standard or I can start learning my first maps on other modes instead?

3. What common mistakes do beginners and perhaps well versed mappers make?

4. What is something (i.e., method, song, pattern) I should avoid as a beginner?

5. What makes a map, a good map?

To all those who at least read this far, thank you for your time :D
Zelzatter Zero
1. Anything, but most of the time J-rock songs will help you more as it contains variety of rhythm without being overwhelmed.

2. All 4 mods are different in every aspect, I'd suggest if you want to improve mapping on one mode just stick to that mode only.

3. For me it's being afraid to abandon the set and move on. Yup it's the result of your own blood, sweat and tears, and bringing the map to Ranked is the ultimate dream to a lot of mappers, but by clinging on your work too much you also refuse to actually do progression to your mapping, and end up slowing it. Move on to something else and go back on it after some time when you have done good progress is way better.

4. TBH there's no bad concept, it's just your execution. Try to avoid something can limit your mapping a lot, even when you already establish your own style. Try everything, even if your concept is essentially chaotic like Cheri's maps.

5. This is where even experienced mappers can't have a definitive answer for. Mapping is subjective. Even blindly following the mold to make "a good map" can end up terrible. Only you yourself know when your map is good.
Topic Starter
NOBLE_COOKIE

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

1. Anything, but most of the time J-rock songs will help you more as it contains variety of rhythm without being overwhelmed.

2. All 4 mods are different in every aspect, I'd suggest if you want to improve mapping on one mode just stick to that mode only.

3. For me it's being afraid to abandon the set and move on. Yup it's the result of your own blood, sweat and tears, and bringing the map to Ranked is the ultimate dream to a lot of mappers, but by clinging on your work too much you also refuse to actually do progression to your mapping, and end up slowing it. Move on to something else and go back on it after some time when you have done good progress is way better.

4. TBH there's no bad concept, it's just your execution. Try to avoid something can limit your mapping a lot, even when you already establish your own style. Try everything, even if your concept is essentially chaotic like Cheri's maps.

5. This is where even experienced mappers can't have a definitive answer for. Mapping is subjective. Even blindly following the mold to make "a good map" can end up terrible. Only you yourself know when your map is good.

Ty ty very much for your advice boss! Will keep it in mind. Thank you for replying :D
Geum Hui

NOBLE_COOKIE wrote:

Hello! I plan to start my journey in beatmapping. I checked some tutorials on the basics and stuff but I feel that there might be some stuff the tutorials missed.

I would like to please ask a couple of questions but feel free to give advice that I did not add in my questions

1. What type of song(s) should I choose as a trainer for mapping?

2. Should I start with Osu!standard or I can start learning my first maps on other modes instead?

3. What common mistakes do beginners and perhaps well versed mappers make?

4. What is something (i.e., method, song, pattern) I should avoid as a beginner?

To all those who at least read this far, thank you for your time :D
1. any music tbh but if you want to not have a breakdown every 2 minutes i suggest tv size
2. map on the modes you have the most play time on. i.e if you're a mania guy map mania, std guy map std yadi yada
3. don't be like me who's too much of a coward to dm other mappers for mods it's way more effective than mod q
4. songs with shit ton of bpm changes like aleph 0, raise my sword, delta max. you're gonna have a bad time trust me
5. for me it's higher the sr the better because i like pushing the limits
qwt
there is no set guide, just expierment, you'll get better
Chiru-kun
4. Avoid songs with these:
- songs you get tired of hearing
You need to repeatedly hear songs. If this requirement isn't met, your mental state will deteriorate.
- super fast, rock song or anything of the level
Notes are too much to comprehend.
- super slow, boring songs
No interesting patterns/gimmicks/anything visually nice to make. No space to stretch your skills out.
- classical or jazz songs
Most of these songs don't follow a constant beat. This is discouraged in first maps; don't think too much of it.

Also, complex doesn't equal interesting. Like art, as much as expressionism is as interesting as minimalism, simple maps can still shine in their own way as much as complex ones. Remember this when thinking of methods and patterns. What matters is that your intention gets across.

5. It's like art.
qwt
brainwashing new mappers
Sophie Twilight
From my opinion and experience alone

1. Generic anime songs. Reason: The vocals are rhythmically same to the background sounds
2. Can't tell.
3. Overmapping. Reason: Maps should be mapped to represent the song. It is okay to be simplifying/out of rhythm a bit, but just mapping every part of song as jumps and cross-screen on top of that is just straight up lazy. There's littl to no difference between the kiai part and the break part.
4. Piano songs, non-sync songs. Reason: They are incredibly hard to map as each of the note in then need to use different offset and BPM. Example: ICDD - Fusyoku Resentiment.
5. Appearance (only my opinion). Don't you like it when you see the maps you've mapped look really clean, neat, structured and organised?
TheKingHenry
renz somewhat mentioned (in reverse), but for 1. it's also important that the song is something you like, so that you actually motivation to work with the map. Other than that, there are bunch of advices to take heed of mentioned here regarding this point already

NOBLE_COOKIE wrote:

bubble
whose profile was this on I don't remember

real talk on 5, there's lot of variance in mapping so it's hard to put this into any tangible words. If you have good ideas for the map and can deliver in the execution, that's about it - but it's almost the same as saying, "good map is good map", ain't it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
flouah
1. Songs with avg bpm (180~) are what you want go for, I always recomend to map anime songs because they're all structured the same (intro, calm verse, verse, build-up, chorus, post-chorus)

2. If you're gonna go for std first I'd recommend waiting till you're good enough before switching to other gamemodes - mapping is a lot harder in the beginning

3. They want to do everything in order to rank a map, when their mapping is still not good enough. New mappers should focus on improving by making a map -> getting mods -> moving on to next set instead of trying to push something that won't catch anyone's attention

4. Avoid doing complicated things at the beginning, it's better to make everything as simple as possible so that your maps can look well structured as soon as possible - after that you can start trying out new things

5. A bubble