forum

What does Osu! do about copyrighted songs?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
NOBLE_COOKIE
Hello, I am plan to start my journey in beatmap mapping but I am worried that the song(s) I will choose may be subject to copyright. I see some songs that seems to have a copyright in it (i.e., Stay by Justing Bieber osu!standard?). So, I am wanting to ask how does the copyrights work? Is there a something I should look out for when choosing a song to map or I can choose any song in Youtube to map.

Thank you very much to anyone who replies with advice :)
abraker
You need to ask permission from the respective labels. Otherwise they are subject to DMCA
Topic Starter
NOBLE_COOKIE

abraker wrote:

You need to ask permission from the respective labels. Otherwise they are subject to DMCA
Thank you very much for your reply :)! I think I can find a way to contact the copyright owner with youtuber made songs but what about old, popular songs like Billie Jeans by Michael Jackson for example or the battle theme song of Mega Man Starforce 2? If I can't ask their permission, does that mean I can map it right away?
TheKingHenry

NOBLE_COOKIE wrote:

If I can't ask their permission, does that mean I can map it right away?
'
no, regardless of if you can or can't ask for a permission, if you don't have one, it is subject to DMCA as per what abraker said
Niva
on osu!'s terms of service (in which you're prompted to agree upon registering your account) it has been stated that "osu! assumes no ownership of user-uploaded contents unless otherwise specified" and that "you are responsible for stuffs that you put into the site" so yeah, uploading beatmaps of copyrighted songs without a proper clearance from the respective rights holders beforehand are not advised in any situation 😦

if you choose to go for it anyway, then yeah as others have said you're subjected to a potential dmca takedown at any time (you can read some examples of dmca takedowns that osu! has received here). osu! will then be obligated to take the infringing materials down once osu! received such claim (see : Cubbby's Arche for example).

---

that being said however, there are many artists out there (even those who are not listed in the Featured Artist page) who are very cooperative and open about their song(s) being mapped in osu! tho (see : (1) (2) (3) for some examples).

as hard as it sounds, getting permission from them might not be as long of a shot as you first think :x