forum

How is cs9 rankeable?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Yeah_Frick
So I've seen a map with cs9 and it was ranked, how is that possible? Since in the ranking criteria says:

"Difficulty setting guidelines

Approach rate / Overall difficulty should be 8 or higher.
HP drain rate should be 5 or higher.
Circle size should be 7 or lower." (this is what it says for the expert diffs)

So could someone explain it to me please
Zelzatter Zero
Because it's a guideline. You can ignore guidelines under exceptional circumstances.
Topic Starter
Yeah_Frick

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

Because it's a guideline. You can ignore guidelines under exceptional circumstances.
can i have an example of what a under expectional circumstance would be?
Zelzatter Zero
it really depends. For CS9 when you have to prove that your map concept will work only in that CS and none other else. Like Dreamsters, the map will be awkward to play with you turn it up back to 7 (it's a loved map but you get the idea).
Topic Starter
Yeah_Frick

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

it really depends. For CS9 when you have to prove that your map concept will work only in that CS and none other else. Like Dreamsters, the map will be awkward to play with you turn it up back to 7 (it's a loved map but you get the idea).
oh thank you for answering!
Niva
must ≠ should yeah. the "guideline" can be completely ignored under certain circumstances as Zelzatter Zero said above, most commonly in cases where the usage of said CS is justified by the map (see : sink lateral for example)

i know this can be confusing as that the editor's in-game menu doesn't allow for cs >7, but yeah as long as your map works fine with the cs of your choice you should be good. 😉

---

also yeah for the record cs >7 was not allowed to be ranked until only recently, which explains why such maps were still very scarce out there at the moment. while it's true that for a very long period of time the ranking criteria had mentioned that "cs >7 are unrankable" (for concerns such as "it may break usability" among others), this is thankfully no longer the case by now as people have unanimously agreed in this thread that such restriction would only serve as an unnecessary roadblock in regards to the modern mapping/playing standards.