Total Posts
Topic Starter
Noffy
So currently bg images have the following maximums

Maximum width: 2560px
Maximum height: 1440px
Maximum file size: 2.5MB

But storyboard images have this maximum

Storyboarded images must not exceed an area of 17,000,000 pixels to keep loading times of large images within reasonable ranges for most computers to handle.

This is a bit more than 4000x4000 for reference.

Which effectively means that if you have a map and want a zoomed in background in the storyboard, it either needs to follow background requirements - resulting in low quality when zoomed in, or you have to have... a copy of your background in higher resolution as a storyboard asset.

So either low quality or 2 copies of the same image. Both solutions are kind of dumb.

suggestion:

Backgrounds which are also used as storyboard images would follow the storyboard images rule for maximum dimensions instead.

or something as a bullet point in the requirements list.

this is kind of silly and I want to know if this makes sense since the current way it's done is a bit strange
Hivie
sounds cool to me
Flask
Feels more like this should just apply to all maps, including those do not have SB

if a 4000x3000 bg is allowed for a map with SB i dont see why we should limit them in those without one
Topic Starter
Noffy
In storyboards they'd potentially / often be used with zooms and pans but in a bg it's just a lot of filesize for little return in quality
clayton
if it doesn't cause any technical problems then I can't see how there'd be room for discussion about this, there's no downside. and nobody actively posting here could comment on if there are technical problems. I think you should ask peppy about adding this one
McEndu
Fully agree with this
pishifat
will see if there's any tech limitations for this on the github discussion https://github.com/ppy/osu-wiki/pull/7433
pishifat
merged