forum

Do I ask for mods or..?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ClovenHelm
Hey! New mapper here. So for a while I've been pondering about whether or not I should have my maps modded. I have tried once and failed. (Yes I did ask multiple people for mod)

The map I was trying to mod was a.. map. It's horrendous but I'm proud of it. The fact that it is horrendous may or may not have been the reason why nobody wanted to mod it. Either that or I didn't try hard enough.

Anyway, this whole "trying to get mods for my map" fiasco got me thinking about whether or not I'm using mods correctly.

The reason why I'm puzzled is because I make maps mainly for fun. I assumed mods are exclusive for maps going for ranked, and so I stopped asking for mods. Am I right on believing that?

Despite what I believe about modding, I wanna improve with mapping and I've heard modding is a good way of doing that as a new mapper. If there are other ways of improving, do tell !

And so the question is: Should I exclusively ask mods for a map I wanna rank or..?

btw beatmapsets/1461639#osu/3002896 is the map if you're curious
WitherMite
dont ask for mods from people who are modding expecting to help rank a map, most of the time they arent giving any advice, just looking for small mistakes.

there are some people who have mod queues who will actually give new mappers advice, so its best to look for those people. not every modder who says they will mod new mappers will do this though, often they are just new and think it will be easier.

best way is really to make mapping friends who can help you, or poke mappers for some advice if you're a bit more outgoing than I am.

dont just blindly follow what modders say though, they make mistakes too, try to think through why what they point out is a mistake, and if you cant figure it out ask questions, if they dont or cant give a convincing answer, ignore it and move on tbh, best to not know something than to think you know and be wrong.
Topic Starter
ClovenHelm
Can I poke you then?
WitherMite
I mean sure, but I'm still a pretty new mapper too, just giving you the things that have helped me while looking for feedback.
Topic Starter
ClovenHelm
Holy shit I didn't think you'd say yes, endless appreciation to you dude

I'll dm you whenever I need you, thanks for the advice
Zelzatter Zero
Also, aiming for ranked is good, but don't be too ambitious or else you will have a mental breakdown over how BNs never check your map, or even respond to your request.

The hardest part in your mapping progress is to make a "good" map (for me it's the one that not only reflects your unique mapping style but also fitting for ranked). The BN fragment will come naturally that not even you are aware of it.

TL;DR Focus on improving yourself first.
TheKingHenry

ClovenHelm wrote:

And so the question is: Should I exclusively ask mods for a map I wanna rank or..?
no, modding (feedback) can also be very beneficial for your improvement, so there isn't a reason to skip on it just because you ain't aiming at ranked yourself

that being said, like was sort of mentioned, not all modding will necessarily be beneficial for your improvement (or may even in the worst case be the opposite), so need to keep that in mind as well