forum

Complete noob to mapping

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Simply Leaf
So, what are some things I should know or do before I make my first attempt of mapping a song I really genuinely like, but might be a bit out there genre and length wise? For example, should I do a map of a song that might be shorter with less nuance in the instruments, or go for songs I genuinely love so I get less bored of it, but might be more complex and long? What are some basic techniques, tips, and tricks in the editor that I should equip myself with and try and learn and practice? Please any help possible is appreciated.
WitherMite
Try to stay away from absurdly long songs at first if you can, because if you like the song chances are you want the map to be good, which will mean a lot of remapping.

Though dont try and map short songs you dont like either, if you really cant find short songs you like then go ahead and map the longer ones, just be aware you will probably have to remap to give it a good map, so be patient, and try mapping other songs before returning to fix it.

As for tips, go check out pishifat's youtube series on mapping.
Topic Starter
Simply Leaf
Ok so yeah the issue is the short songs I like are 3-4 minutes and the song I really want to map since I think it would be really cool is 9:00 so I think that length is going to be my primary problem with starting since you are right, I do want to see these songs have good maps. Do I would probably end up remapping them. I would guess that going for maybe an OP I like would be a better place to start rather than these American rock songs I love so much, but are long and have no other people really mapping for.
WitherMite
I have the same issue really, for example one of the songs I'm slowly working on is 16 min. I have yet to really find songs I'd like to map less than 3 min long. the cool thing about long songs though is that above 5 min you only need one difficulty.

the big thing ive found is to not worry about finishing songs too much, right now all you should really care about is improving your mapping, and you dont really need to finish a map to do that, though most people wont mod unfinished maps, so it may be best to make some mapping friends or maybe even poke mappers for advice if you're more extroverted than I am.

also, dont worry about meeting spread rules for ranking criteria, gonna be a while until you'll make rankable maps anyway, so unless you want to as practice making low diffs you dont really need to make full sets.

forcing myself to map songs I'm not inspired by doesnt really make for good practice most of the time, so i dont bother and just accept that its ok to stop a project and come back later If I feel I'm not able to map the song well enough.