forum

Mapping High Difficulty Maps

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
verticaldude
So I am planning to make a beatmap with a higher diff that I can't play like 4* - 5* and I want to know how can I do this. Like, how can I know that this map is playable and enjoyable to players. Should I just take some high diff maps and set it as an example or I should just stick with mapping a diff thats playable for me and understand more about mapping.
angrychill
apparently unwritten map making logic for standard osu! is this:

the harder and hardest maps are the easiest and most fun to map

the normal and easier maps are the hardest and the least fun to map. in general for starting mappers its recommended to start with "hard" or slightly harder difficulties, so around 4*-5*, although i dont know if the same applies if you yourself arent at that level yet.

i think it's because you don't have a lot of restrictions placed on you regarding flow and placement; you're more free to pack the map full with whatever you want, whereas on easier difficulties you'd have to "under"-map a lot in order to make it easier to play.

general rules apply to making a map playable and enjoyable. the most important thing is to make it readable and logical - one should generally be able to predict or guess where the next circle will appear based on previous placements or slider orientation, use sensible spacing (although this one can be bent a little), etc. i think the rest will follow from that.
Topic Starter
verticaldude

angrychill wrote:

apparently unwritten map making logic for standard osu! is this:

the harder and hardest maps are the easiest and most fun to map

the normal and easier maps are the hardest and the least fun to map. in general for starting mappers its recommended to start with "hard" or slightly harder difficulties, so around 4*-5*, although i dont know if the same applies if you yourself arent at that level yet.

i think it's because you don't have a lot of restrictions placed on you regarding flow and placement; you're more free to pack the map full with whatever you want, whereas on easier difficulties you'd have to "under"-map a lot in order to make it easier to play.

general rules apply to making a map playable and enjoyable. the most important thing is to make it readable and logical - one should generally be able to predict or guess where the next circle will appear based on previous placements or slider orientation, use sensible spacing (although this one can be bent a little), etc. i think the rest will follow from that.
Ahhh I see... Thanks. Now I'm more confident on my plan
Cocomber
i had a similar question, but following some flow and getting test-play and practice helps