forum

questions about hitsounding + mapping

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
angrychill
new mapper here, only one map under my belt so far with a 2nd in the works. i have a few questions regarding hitsounds!

1) how does "importing hitsounds" from other difficulties work? it's a concept i heard of but i don't understand how hitsounds can be applied if certain circles/sliders are missing and such

2) apparently the criteria for a ranked map is that "it must have hitsounds". this might seem like a silly question but i haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else and im unsure so: does every note/circle/slider have to have a hitsound (so it can only be clap, whistle or finish, no using default)?

3) is there a technique to streamline hitsounding, or at least make it way less tedious? placing each one by hand while rewinding over and over makes me frustrated sooner than later, and then i also give up because i dont know what hitsound to choose, or there's too many of them by default (16 diff ones), not to mention custom hitsounds!

i know what hitsounds are and how to theoretically apply them, however when i try to attempt it myself i always find the process overly tedious or complicated. part of it might be because i dont fully understand everything yet, but it's also largely my indecisiveness over which hitsounds to use. i dont require an explanation of how to import my own hit sounds (i think) as there's plenty of tutorials around for that.

one last mapping-related question:

how do you guys start 'drafting' your beatmaps, or actually start making them? i had a technique where i'd place circles randomly around the map, rather focusing only on capturing the specific beats, rhythms and flows for a chunk of the song (usually 1 min.), then i'd go back to the beginning and reorganize everything or convert certain circles into sliders, then rinse and repeat for the other sections. is this method ineffective, do you recommend something different, or is this an alright method?

meme question but do i have to be good at osu to be a good mapper lmao i can only play at 2.x difficulties. would it be a sin to make a map that i myself cannot clear
KumiDaiko
1) copying hs from a hs difficulty is pretty common (you should do that). if there're missing circles and sliders you'd have to deal with it

2) of course not.

3) first part of 1)

final question: map normally instead of doing that lmao
Zelzatter Zero
1) If you meant the built-in "Import Hitsounds" in the editor, that thing works best in mania, not standard. It's for importing sound sample without having to change the filename into a certain format in order to make it work.

2) Of course not, but that doesn't mean you can just assign a hitsound to only 1 object and call it a day. Hitsound them accordingly throughout the song and you'll be fine.

3) You can make your own hitsound difficulty, assign hitsounds to them and then use an external program to copy them to other diffs. No one would go such a hassle of manually hitsounding all 16 difficulty.

4) It doesn't matter which kind of workflow you're following, but I'd recommend planning your pattern beforehand as you listen to the song. Putting objects randomly can make the progress even more tedious as you don't have any concept in mind besides randomness.

For the meme question, you don't have to play well in order to map well (if that was the case people like me would go to jail for ages already), but it's recommended to have at least some decent playing skill first to gasp the pattern and flow in order to apply it to your maps.
Topic Starter
angrychill
alright, thank you both so much for answering my questions! i feel a bit better about hitsounding now haha