forum

Genius. [invalid]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Nakata Yuji
iTunes has the Genius feature. I think it would be neat if there could be something like this added into osu. Is it even doable?
Larto
Could you please elaborate? Not everyone knows what this Genius feature is, including me :|
anonymous_old
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
Nakata Yuji

strager wrote:

Larto wrote:

Could you please elaborate? Not everyone knows what this Genius feature is, including me :|
Google helps with that.

osu! is not your media player.
I'm not saying this because I want to listen to music, I'm saying this because I want to find new beatmaps with songs that I'll like. I generally avoid songs I know I won't like, and I'm sure others do to, so I think it would be helpful for a lot of people who want to find new songs to play.

EDIT: I just realized that you were thinking of the function of Genius that I wasn't referring to. The function I'm referring to is the one that shows you songs that you don't have that are similar to the one you have selected.
awp
For the moment you can try your luck with tag/genre searches, though not everyone remembers to utilize them.
Topic Starter
Nakata Yuji

awp wrote:

For the moment you can try your luck with tag/genre searches, though not everyone remembers to utilize them.
Of course, that's what I do. However, this would simplify it a great deal, right? If anything, this should be available to subscribers at least.
anonymous_old
Sure, you can search for similar songs, but mapping styles could be wildly different. I like many maps for the maps not the songs, and even some songs I like I won't play on osu! because I disagree with the maps (usually I'm frustrated playing them).

Most songs have tags and a genre which you can use to search for (hopefully) similar maps. You could also search by artist.
Topic Starter
Nakata Yuji

strager wrote:

Sure, you can search for similar songs, but mapping styles could be wildly different. I like many maps for the maps not the songs, and even some songs I like I won't play on osu! because I disagree with the maps (usually I'm frustrated playing them).

Most songs have tags and a genre which you can use to search for (hopefully) similar maps. You could also search by artist.
It's very possible for genius to work like that too. Maybe there could be a function like similar songs based on mapping style? I think we could get it to work if people were able to recommend songs, like we could choose a song, then select songs similar to that one in one way. It's hard to explain, but I hope you get it.
anonymous_old
Most mappers keep the same style for many of their maps (notably, James, DJPop, and Nexy) so it shouldn't be too difficult to find maps of a similar style.

I do like the idea of a community-supported "recommended map" thing, assuming it's not completely publicly editable.
Topic Starter
Nakata Yuji

strager wrote:

Most mappers keep the same style for many of their maps (notably, James, DJPop, and Nexy) so it shouldn't be too difficult to find maps of a similar style.

I do like the idea of a community-supported "recommended map" thing, assuming it's not completely publicly editable.
That's basically what I meant for genius. It would be impossible for a small group of people, presumably mods, to maintain a recommended list for every map. I'm sure it shouldn't be too hard to code, but then again, I know nothing of coding. It would be nice to look up a song that you like for some reason, be it map style or just the song itself, and there being a list of songs that are similar based on what similarities you are looking for.
LuigiHann
I wonder how this would be done...

It could be something like "People who downloaded this map also downloaded:" and then show some maps based on that stat, or maybe based on user ratings or favorites....
anonymous_old
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Soaprman

LuigiHann wrote:

It could be something like "People who downloaded this map also downloaded:" and then show some maps based on that stat, or maybe based on user ratings or favorites....
You are downloading: Beatmap Pack #100

People who downloaded this also downloaded:
Beatmap Pack #99
Beatmap Pack #98
Beatmap Pack #97
Beatmap Pack #96
anonymous_old

Soaprman wrote:

LuigiHann wrote:

You are downloading: Beatmap Pack #100

People who downloaded this also downloaded:
Beatmap Pack #99
Beatmap Pack #98
Beatmap Pack #97
Beatmap Pack #96
That's Pretty Lame (tm), as the main source for these is a page with all of the numbered packs.

I was thinking more like, if you pick a map from X album pack it will suggests other songs from that album pack or even the album pack itself. Also, if the pack is themed (e.g. the Internet packs) other songs not in the pack but still related to the theme could be suggested.

Also, songs from the same anime or TV show.
Topic Starter
Nakata Yuji
Possibly an interface that's like:

Please choose a song that is similar to ___Song Name___ in terms of ___Genre/Mapping Style/etc.___.
Then the song list here.
Ryuukun
I would appreciate a better Folder system more.
anonymous_old

Ryuukun wrote:

I would appreciate a better Folder system more.
I don't see how that is relevant, unless you mean grouping beatmaps. But that won't help because this is for suggesting beatmaps you don't have most of the time (because you've probably already played most of the maps you have). It would be good to suggest maps in the same pack for achievements though.
Topic Starter
Nakata Yuji
I'm pretty sure you can just rearrange your song folder into folders anyways, so I'm not sure how we need that fixed :3
anonymous_old

Nakata Yuji wrote:

I'm pretty sure you can just rearrange your song folder into folders anyways, so I'm not sure how we need that fixed :3
It's not handled in-game (I think), only on the filesystem.
Ryuukun
I mean like Stepmania.
I played this for years and after i changed to osu the map wheel kinda smashed me right into my face.
In stepmania you only have to memorize in whatever song pack your song is.
In osu you have to memorize the songs :/
We have this favorite system but thats not quite enough.
I want to make folders like Anime, J-Pop etc and put the song in but ingame since it would be too much
work doing that outside the game.
anonymous_old

Ryuukun wrote:

I want to make folders like Anime, J-Pop etc and put the song in but ingame since it would be too much
Search for 'anime' and you'll get a bunch of anime songs.

Holy cow.
Topic Starter
Nakata Yuji

Ryuukun wrote:

I mean like Stepmania.
I played this for years and after i changed to osu the map wheel kinda smashed me right into my face.
You can't do that outside of the game? There would be virtually NO difference.
anonymous_old

Nakata Yuji wrote:

Ryuukun wrote:

I mean like Stepmania.
Inconvenience.
Topic Starter
Nakata Yuji

strager wrote:

Nakata Yuji wrote:

Ryuukun wrote:

I mean like Stepmania.
Inconvenience.
True true, perhaps you should post a feature request.
DJPop
If this request is impossible...
At least, fix the search system to include everything available like sources, tags, difficulty names.
Nowadays if I type "saku", the files with name "sakura, sakuranbo, sakurakou, etc." still won't show up.
peppy

DJPop wrote:

If this request is impossible...
At least, fix the search system to include everything available like sources, tags, difficulty names.
Nowadays if I type "saku", the files with name "sakura, sakuranbo, sakurakou, etc." still won't show up.
Are you talking about searching online? This is one of the sacrifices in order to allow searching such a vast library of songs. Only full words will match (but tags, source, artist, title, creator ARE searched).
Kitsunemimi

strager wrote:

osu! is not your media player.

Echo wrote:

strager wrote:

Two, osu! is not your media player.
Yes it is >:|
Not the first time you've said that... :|

Anyways, all I've got to say is that this is impossible (lol lack of faith). I doubt it's really possible, and plus, osu! is always on shuffle. The only way to get data is from when people click the "go to" button, and I don't use it that often. There wouldn't be sufficient data, and it'd be really difficult to implement.

I haven't read any of the other posts so I probably said what someone else said.
CheeseWarlock
It's a nice idea, but none of the methods presented really strike me as giving relevant song recommendations. Nothing really ensures any similarity.