forum

[Proposal] The same word cannot be used in the tags twice

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
osulover2021
They have been a lot of ranked maps with duplicate tags (one being beatmapsets/1292676) and I don't like that. I feel like they need to make a new rule regarding tags:
There must not be any two or more instances of one word in the tags.
lewski
"I don't like it" is a really weak justification for adding a rule, do you have any more concrete reasons for this? Personally, I can't help but agree with Fall: "its like 0.000000005kb file size increase anyways"

Additionally, duplicate tags can improve searchability, so completely disallowing them doesn't make sense to me. You could always make it a guideline and have BNs make case-by-case judgements on duplicate tags, but the benefit would be so small that it's just not worth it. It's definitely not an issue that maps should be disqualified for imo so putting it in the RC is a bit silly
jschlatt stan
Yeah, definitely agree with lewski here. Do you have any other reasoning behind this aside from personal preference?
Morrighan

lewski wrote:

"I don't like it" is a really weak justification for adding a rule, do you have any more concrete reasons for this? Personally, I can't help but agree with Fall: "its like 0.000000005kb file size increase anyways"

Additionally, duplicate tags can improve searchability, so completely disallowing them doesn't make sense to me. You could always make it a guideline and have BNs make case-by-case judgements on duplicate tags, but the benefit would be so small that it's just not worth it. It's definitely not an issue that maps should be disqualified for imo so putting it in the RC is a bit silly
It's basically this
first of it literally is such a tiny amount of file size increase that its negligible
second it can be helpful to make tags appear to make more sense when album name or w/e may repeat a word that was used in another context in the tags
And finally, making it a rule/guideline is just dumb cause there's no reason to add extra workload to BNs having to check for duplicate tags and figure out wether they make sense in the context - like really, it is completely negligible.
Noffy
I'm confused how this was explained to you multiple times already when you reported repeated tags as an issue on qualified maps and you still opened this thread without those points in mind at all. It's been re-explained in the thread already so is there some reason you still see the proposal as beneficial in spite of how having repeated tags is functionally useful?
frozz
osu does support "long anime title" as search, so using duplicated tags is okay since it can support original and translated one

"and i don't like that" is invalid reasoning on proposal since it just your personal oppinion

this is basically toadsock v2 but instead of asking gd he flooding notification with kinda unnecessary thing (my condolence to the country)
achyoo
Do you know that cells replicate themselves by a process called mitosis, where it duplicates all of it's contents? This is how your body repairs itself, and it is very useful. Similarly, duplicated words are very useful in tags. As an example, it is useful when crediting artists that share the same first/last name. This improves both searchability and readability in the tags. (However did you know that brain cells don't duplicate themselves? I suspect you might not know as you probably only have 1 brain cell to begin with.)

Duplicated words are also useful when dealing with particles, as particles are often very common in the names of media that the song is tied to. As an example, with a vast majority of osu music being anime based, very long light novel titles often have repeat particles in english and japanese, so those duplicated tags help give these titles coherence. (unfortunately, it won't give your ideas any coherence at all since it seems you don't give them any thought anyway.)

Lastly, as others have mentioned, you not liking it isn't a valid concern for the ranking criteria. Unless you can find a reason that holds more weight, personal preference isn't good enough for judgement to be passed down on something like the ranking criteria. (For example, I personally don't like you, maybe even more so than you not liking duplicated tags. However my personal preference isn't enough for judgement to be passed down. If it were, I would propose a change that completely bars you from this game because you are either a troll or just really stupid, and your actions are a nuisance to the mapping and modding scene.)

Hope this helps explain why duplicated tags are perfectly acceptable and useful!
momoyo
No
Zelzatter Zero
If you are so opposed to duplicate tags, you may as well consider banning all songs that has repeated words on either title or artist field, since they also behave like a tag on their own.

Please refrain from pulling your preference when discussing things as important as rule. Whether you like it or not is subjective.
yaspo
it's probably more productive to not further discuss this one
benefits from duplicate tags seem clear, the proposal not so much even after a week+ of requesting clarification
archiving this one