forum

Starting insane maps?

posted
Total Posts
show more
nrl

Wishy wrote:

Just play songs you like on Insane...
This. Go back to the maps you did really well on hard, and play the insane diffs. Most of the time they don't have any real surprises, just bigger jumps and some extra notes.
Topic Starter
CoolBeans

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

Go back to the maps you did really well on hard, and play the insane diffs.
Well not much of my songs have an insane diff and if they do its still really easy.
I just want to see the maps that everyone started out on insanes or maybe some harder insanes.
nrl
Personally, I just downloaded a ton of beatmap packs and jumped right in. I didn't start anywhere specific.
Topic Starter
CoolBeans
If you dont mind me asking what beatmap packs did you start with or are just any really fine?
Aqo
Don't play old maps, they're often mistimed or plain bad. Get beatmap packs 200-300 and play random maps while looking at mapper names every time you play a map until you realize which mappers make maps that you like.
Topic Starter
CoolBeans
Good idea thanks. If anyone else has any songs feel free to share em! :3
nrl

UpdatedGames wrote:

If you dont mind me asking what beatmap packs did you start with or are just any really fine?
t/64970

I downloaded packs 201-300. There's over 9000 maps in there, a quarter of which are insane or harder.
Topic Starter
CoolBeans
Thanks a ton! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out with my situation. GL HD
Luvdic
Just play hard maps with mods, like HR or DT, thats what I did
she_old
hard diffs with HR+DT big big yeah
Topic Starter
CoolBeans
oh yeah havnt thought about Hard rock yet. i havnt done any of the difficulty increase mods except double and hidden on some maps.
Iluya
When you can play the easier insanes you can also use osutp.net to get maps.. search for a map you can play compfortably and one which you can barely play through and look for their "level".. Then look for maps with a similar level...

Found some nice challenging maps this way. The Hard/Insane/Rin/Hyper/Another/Lunatic Diff-Naming is just crap and totally inconsistent. Only thing you can rely on: 0108 Maps are freaking fast and overmapped :)
Topic Starter
CoolBeans
Sweet! Iv'e never heard of osutp.net but how can you tell what your map's approach rate/circle size/overall difficulty and speed to jump ratio is?
-GN

UpdatedGames wrote:

Sweet! Iv'e never heard of osutp.net but how can you tell what your map's approach rate/circle size/overall difficulty and speed to jump ratio is?
They're search criteria, not definite values for a map. With those, you can find maps with what difficulty settings you'd like, such as CS6, AR9 or whatever.

Regarding the ratio: because the website lists the difficulty of maps from hardest to easiest, as well as having one value for jumps and another for streams, you can also sort maps from most streamy or most jumpy, not just general difficulty.
Topic Starter
CoolBeans
What does CS6, AR9 and 0108 maps mean???
she_old

UpdatedGames wrote:

What does CS6, AR9 and 0108 maps mean???
CS = circle size, 6 is pretty small
AR = approach rate, slow
0108 maps are maps by val0108
Tanzklaue

she wrote:

AR = approach rate, slow
2012 the year where AR 8 was called slow and BPM 200 was low BPM.

2013 the year where AR 9 is slow and 220 BPM is low BPM?
silmarilen
in a couple of years everybody will be streaming ar11 350 bpm
Tanzklaue
and then one guy maps a 100 BPM AR 5 OD 10 song and everybody just dies.
she_old

Tanzklaue wrote:

I believe ar9 is the average slow AR right now, and 170-190bpm average low bpm, there are still quite some people with trouble at 190bpm though, can't think of anyone right now bleh, just check random multiplayer rooms and voila

I think ar10 is still hard for most people, I still encounter people that have issues with reading ar10 while some other players that have played longer can get decent scores on ar10.86
I think 220 will never be considered slow by most average players
djjsixpack

she wrote:

there are still quite some people with trouble at 190bpm though, can't think of anyone right now blehs
Assuming you are talking about streams...

*raises hand*

I do MP a lot as well, and I can say most people cannot stream 190 bpm without either failing or getting really bad accuracy (unless the streams are super short like 15 notes or less).

As for the OP, it's been said before, just play stuff you like. Progression has a tendency to go by faster when you aren't playing just to get better.
Tanzklaue

she wrote:

Tanzklaue wrote:

I believe ar9 is the average slow AR right now, and 170-190bpm average low bpm, there are still quite some people with trouble at 190bpm though, can't think of anyone right now bleh, just check random multiplayer rooms and voila

I think ar10 is still hard for most people, I still encounter people that have issues with reading ar10 while some other players that have played longer can get decent scores on ar10.86
I think 220 will never be considered slow by most average players
I am bad at everything.

but only because AR 9 is average doesn't make it slow. it's average. AR 10 is impossible to really sightread for most people, and I think almost no one can read anything higher than AR 10.

also 170 BPM is not low BPM in my eyes. it's average. low is something like 130 BPM and slower for me, it's the speed where most people prefer to singletap 1/4s over alternating them.
she_old

Tanzklaue wrote:

AR 10 is impossible to really sightread for most people, and I think almost no one can read anything higher than AR 10.
Does it count as sightreading if I get an A(~93%) on my first try with 4misses on something that's my weakness?
Example: http://osu.ppy.sh/s/24110 + DT (ar10.3), I got the above score on this song and the misses were on triples because I'm really bad at controlling flow from singles to triples.
Topic Starter
CoolBeans
Oh okay cool thanks i guess my only question is what BPM are the medium-harder insanes at?
enik
160-180?
Topic Starter
CoolBeans
Huh weird i was thinking more like 190-210 cause the 160-180s are usually pretty easy for me.
silmarilen
any bpm can be medium hard.
this map is 143 bpm yet i would say its medium hard https://osu.ppy.sh/s/50017
this map is 230 bpm (it says 115 but its mapped and plays as 230) and is also medium hard https://osu.ppy.sh/b/166477

actually the first map is way harder than the second imo
Topic Starter
CoolBeans
Okay thanks ill check out those maps.
Garr
Im not sure if osu!tp is alowed to be linked http://osutp.net/beatmaps here but check it out its a great tool for guiding you into maps with the difficulty you want.
pitbull2k4
On a semi-related note, you might want to use higher dpi if your mouse supports it. This depends of course on what you use now. I used to play hard on 1200 DPI when my mouse broke. I got my new mouse and put it on 2000 just to see what is was like, and suddenly big jumps on insane were way easier, because I didn't have to throw my arm around the desk to get to the other side of the screen.

Obviously this is all personal preference, but because it happened to work so well for me I figured I'd share :)
silmarilen
this is the first time i've ever seen someone tell someone else to use higher dpi when it wasnt below 600.
pitbull2k4
I wasn't telling him to use higher DPI, just that it happened to help me recently and it's something to consider. Would you disagree that it can help unless it's below 600? Because for me it's way easier to play like this, and it seems reasonable to limit the hand movement needed if you need to play faster.
silmarilen
im not saying its wrong, im just saying its rare for people to say it
i personally play with 1750 dpi on 1.3x sens in osu
Zakdawg
You are making too big a deal out of "how to start insanes".

Just go to the download page and click through the songs and download the ones you like, and if they have an insane difficulty then try to play it.
Topic Starter
CoolBeans
i use a tablet/keyboard but i dont have it on full size, I used to use a mouse but then i got a tablet and i dont think ill go back to mouse haha

Zakdawg wrote:

You are making too big a deal out of "how to start insanes
I was interested in what maps everyone started on and what they had trouble with.