forum

trying to transition from a ddkk player to a dkkd player and in need of some tips

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
CyborKk
so after a rather long time of playing taiko as a ddkk player im trying to switch to dkkd, im left handed so my left hand is naturally faster than my right hand and i simply cant keep up with my right hand anymore the K streams are just getting to extreme for me, my right hand starts to hurt after 1 or 2 K streams and i feel like i cant do this anymore if i wanna keep improving my rank, the thing is, turns out that changing your playstyle after such a long time is a pain in the ass and i cant hit any streams anymore. i know its normal because its such a drastic change, but i thought about asking you guys, maybe someone did the same thing as me and can give me some advice? i also know that the best course of action is just to keep playing and ill get better at dkkd at somepoint, but hey maybe someone actually has a trick up their sleeve, who knows.

thanks in advance :)
bobthaboy
Been there, done that. I've always been a kddk player, but I had to relearn how to play because I had a similar problem. Refusing to learn how to alt-tap really got to me, would mostly just play with my right hand but it came to a point where I thought "Hmm, maybe I oughta split the damage and I'd be able to play more maps."

The only recommendation I have for you is to literally go easy on yourself and play some easier maps for a bit to get used to it. Also, get into alt-tapping. You say your left hand is stronger, and you may prioritize it and not alt-tap, and that's totally okay and your way to play it, it's just in my experience it came to bite me in the ass, and it'd be funny to have to relearn the game a third time.

In my hypothesis it'd take me about 25% of my current playtime to relearn how to play, and somehow it was very accurate. I ended up getting my new top play at around the 5th day in playtime when before I started learning I just hit my 4th day. (Or this could just also be interpreted as it only takes a day to change a habit, idunno im not a doctor i just see notes and hit em lmao)
You've played this mode for a bit, so it's gonna take a while to rewire what you're used to, but by the time you get it nailed down, you should be getting high plays ezpz

Good luck~
Topic Starter
CyborKk

bobthaboy wrote:

Been there, done that. I've always been a kddk player, but I had to relearn how to play because I had a similar problem. Refusing to learn how to alt-tap really got to me, would mostly just play with my right hand but it came to a point where I thought "Hmm, maybe I oughta split the damage and I'd be able to play more maps."

The only recommendation I have for you is to literally go easy on yourself and play some easier maps for a bit to get used to it. Also, get into alt-tapping. You say your left hand is stronger, and you may prioritize it and not alt-tap, and that's totally okay and your way to play it, it's just in my experience it came to bite me in the ass, and it'd be funny to have to relearn the game a third time.

In my hypothesis it'd take me about 25% of my current playtime to relearn how to play, and somehow it was very accurate. I ended up getting my new top play at around the 5th day in playtime when before I started learning I just hit my 4th day. (Or this could just also be interpreted as it only takes a day to change a habit, idunno im not a doctor i just see notes and hit em lmao)
You've played this mode for a bit, so it's gonna take a while to rewire what you're used to, but by the time you get it nailed down, you should be getting high plays ezpz

Good luck~
Thanks for the feedback, my biggest problem will probably motivation since I already tried to change my playstyle back in 2019 and I failed miserably and lost any motivation for osu for quite sometime, but this time, for some reason my friends try to support me even tho they only play std and dont care about taiko at all, we made a promise that I will play DKKD taiko for the next week everyday for atleast 1 hour and I would have to record a few plays everyday, edit them together in a vid so I can see my progress with my own eyes since it can be a but difficult to see your own progress sometimes. so yeah I think I can actually do it this time around and not lose my motivation again :D
bobthaboy

CyborKk wrote:

my biggest problem will probably motivation
Oh yeaaaaaaaaah

Actually, when I was transitioning, I took a hefty break in the middle of it, like a month? or somethin'. Took so long they changed up how pp works, so when I came back my target was to just get a new top play and after I reached that goal my motivation went even more up to keep playing. When I came back my skill level was around the same place from before (after I took my time to sit back down into the game), so feel at ease if you wanna take a breather.

Usually the best way to go about these things is to sit in multi and sight-read, you get to practice on new maps and you get to talk with dweebs that'll make the fun make you stay longer. I'm totally down for playing some easier maps if you're into that.
dracobuster
A little bit of playing a day helps. If you doing bad that day and getting angry, take a little break. If you have a day where you go godmode, milk the absolute hell out of it and burn those good habits in. Make sure you sleeping so you have time to register everything you learned and you will get used to the new playstyle naturally. Play to learn and improve, and then once you got all the skills you need then you can start thinking about score. Doing that too early will make you feel worse when you not getting the performance you want.

Changing up a playstyle or habit will always make you perform worse than you usually do at first, but once you get used to it you'll find yourself breaking down a barrier that you couldn't get over before.
Akazukin-MK2
Practice with maps that have a lot of different patterns like: Bad Apple!! (REDALiCE Remix)
This other one helps improving coordination and resistance: Training Map

Start slowly with HT if you fail to read the patterns or get confused.