forum

Inside the Mind of a Veteran Mapper

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
EchoInProgress
So I've been trying to learn mapping for a while, but there are some key aspects I just keep screwing up, from spacing to flow to... you get the idea. My maps belong in the nearest recycling bin. It feels pretty rough. And that feeling is made even worse when I witness these 11/10 rated maps that basically can control the cursor for the player and are immediately intuitive on the first try.

Why not turn that jealousy into productivity?

I curious to hear about the methods and general tricks that higher level mappers use to create maps, start to finish. How do they decide the placement of things? How do they predict player movement to allow a smooth flow? It's not magic that gives them their skills; I'm not buying that for a second!

In short, what's going on in the mind of a veteran mapper? They're doing SOMETHING right, and I want to learn from that.
Thanks in advance!
- Virtu -
DeletedUser_13957006

EchoInProgress wrote:

So I've been trying to learn mapping for a while
Joined July 11, 2021
wut
Topic Starter
EchoInProgress

Qiyana-sama wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMXVCdQyp7w

reminds me of this vid
One word:

GODSEND
Asphiee
Mapping was fun and magical but never did I thought it was possible to quit osu! and mapping for good (probably)
Sophie Twilight

Aiq wrote:

EchoInProgress wrote:

So I've been trying to learn mapping for a while
Joined July 11, 2021
wut
Exactly my thoughts
Zelzatter Zero
Most new mappers I saw (even I used to be) all think about other experienced mappers' maps as something really complex, everything was put carefully on purpose, so I'm here to break it now. The truth is, nah. It's more simple than you think.

How us experienced mappers can map like what our maps is like was the result of gathering and mastering the main fundamentals by mapping repeatedly for at least a year (doesn't mean you can't rank a map when you have less than a year of mapping, it's just that 1 year tends to be the average that your latest maps starts to becoming different and more developed than your first ones). You can't just expect to be like rrtyui or pishifat after mapping for just a few days. Also, don't be afraid to take some of your favorite mapper's map and try to replicate them in you own way. That way you can see the reason why those are put that way so that you can have more reason for your object placement in future maps.
Asphiee
As Zero said, yes, it's not a 100% math and calculation when mapping. You need experience for you to have a broader sense on what you do and just not randomly putting everything on the field.

Just to warn you though, if you try to be a mapper, don't just map only when you're inspired. Dedicate yourself doing so even if you feel lazy or just can't map the way you like it to.

I was that mapper who just map out of inspiration or only if I thought I could make a concept out of it, result? Not too many finished projects made. Nor any other ranked maps, because I aspired to be the mapper who only has hybrid set on his ranked maps. It was a good direction and ambition but because of some circumstances, I had to quit osu for good.

I really wanted to reach that goal, too bad Asphiee. I'm in high hopes that someday someone will continue my ambition. I'll be a lowkey proud dad when someone does that.

Tldr : Discipline and just don't map because you were inspired in that moment or just heat of the moment thingy.

I noticed someone like Ajisai, Amateurre, 0ugi, Shikibe Mayu maps everytime and look at them, wow.
- Virtu -

EchoInProgress wrote:

Qiyana-sama wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMXVCdQyp7w

reminds me of this vid
One word:

GODSEND
:(

i tried to follow this process, and gave up at the first sv section

so complicated

yes i suck
qwt
He's been mapping for an entire 6 days
Shurelia
idk, i just place circles that i think it looks cool to look and play at. Was bothering things like structure, flow, connection blah blah on my earlier days but it's not anymore, prolly it's due to my muscle memory that has been doing this thing for years.

then after i finished with my stuff i tend to look back at it numerous times and finding out any spot that could have some improvements also since i don't play standard at all, i always ask test players to play it for me and see if there's something seems uncomfortable for them to play on depends on their rank.

also if I want something new on my map, I'll just look at some of the stuffs that I fav'd and try to copy it with a mix of my own taste, ez

tl;dr don't think too much