forum

Why is this a thing? Whose idea was this?

posted
Total Posts
show more
DakeDekaane
In my early days I even failed easy difficulties due to my pretty bad accuracy, received HP punishment and died, again, again, and again, but I did't get pissed off for it, just play more, practice, and that HP bar will be even unnoticed by you.

But if the HP drain pisses you off that much: turn on No Fail mod and:
TakuMii

ImmortalChibi wrote:

REALLY!!?!?!? Only 115 play counts? That's like total counts ever overall? Even failures? Because holy shit maybe I do need to play more. It feels like a lot more. However, my point still remains about being noob-friendly.
Yeah, the count includes retries and failures. I have 22K plays, but at least 5K came from retrying the first 5 seconds of a song hundreds of times.

DakeDekaane wrote:

Wouldn't it be easier to just make a skin with an invisible healthbar?
DakeDekaane
Too lazy _(:3 」∠)_
Topic Starter
ImmortalChibi

YayMii wrote:

Yeah, the count includes retries and failures. I have 22K plays, but at least 5K came from retrying the first 5 seconds of a song hundreds of times.
Wow, I didn't know that. I have little patience though, so that same 5 seconds about 8 times later and I'm like, "FUCK THE WORLD." Embarrassing to admit, but like two nights ago I got so mad I punched my laptop in the screen so hard it became a touchscreen for a moment. I punched the exit button after I failed a song and Osu! closed out immediately. It was hilarious.

DakeDekaane wrote:

Too lazy _(:3 」∠)_
Ha ha. I know that feeling. It's the same reason why I don't go into every song I have on my playlist and change all the drains to easy. :P
Wishy
Dude this ImmortalChibi is just a troll why do you keep talking to him. I read a few posts by Cubes and him and he is clearly either going full retard or trolling.

ITT: Guy cries because he can't clear some maps, asks for a mod that already exists yet decides to keep crying.

Edit: Read like 2 more random posts, talking about newbie friendly... seriously? This game is newbie friendly to a point where almost every mapset has got easy and normal difficulties where there is no way you can fail unless you are complete trash for this kind of games, and drain is SO LOW that you could stop playing to scratch your nose and still live.

Read this post as if I was using kind words.
Topic Starter
ImmortalChibi

Wishy wrote:

Dude this ImmortalChibi is just a troll why do you keep talking to him. I read a few posts by Cubes and him and he is clearly either going full retard or trolling.

ITT: Guy cries because he can't clear some maps, asks for a mod that already exists yet decides to keep crying.

Edit: Read like 2 more random posts, talking about newbie friendly... seriously? This game is newbie friendly to a point where almost every mapset has got easy and normal difficulties where there is no way you can fail unless you are complete trash for this kind of games, and drain is SO LOW that you could stop playing to scratch your nose and still live.

Read this post as if I was using kind words.
While I respect your opinion, I feel that your are wrong. And that's okay. I can't force you to be right.
This mod doesn't exist. NoFail still shows your HP and it changes the entire play so that you there's no motivation whatsoever to hit the notes since you literally cannot lose. I don't understand how you can be so upset by suggesting this mod, yet the Spunout mod exists and I don't hear you complain that baddies wanted that in this game and it's just a crutch and they should just use the NoFail mod.
Also, the game is not noobie friendly. Since the difficulty rating varies depending on beatmap maker and song, shifting between difficulties and makers creates a ton confusion on what you can and cannot do. Everything you try is a brand new experience and, unless you're vary good at this game, you have a slim chance of really getting through a song on the first couple plays through. This pattern of failure can be very frustrating and cause a could-be fan to suddenly badmouth this game.

This is my last attempt to get you to understand I'm not trolling and I'm just trying to add to the game without destroying it's integrity. I feel games should be player oriented and this would just make it easier on new players for whatever reason they may be having trouble with the songs.
Wishy
Skin your HP so you can't see it then, happy? The motivation thing is retarded, just consider the slow part where you fail a hard part where your accuracy needs to be better, because if you get lots of 100 you fail because of drain. Easy and normal difficulties are quite consisent (all are easy enough for anyone).

You got 100 plays, that's what almost any active player gets every day if not more, just stop crying, go play the game.
Dexus
*・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・'(*゚▽゚*)'・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・*
Play easier songs that are suited for your ability or play more so you can not mess up as much. Health drain is frustrating and can be overly annoying on some maps, but when you overcome it you get a more satisfying feeling. Even when the drain puts you down to nothing and you recover just barely it makes the game that much more exhilarating.

Go play osu!stream if you don't want to deal with health drain.
GoldenWolf

Wishy wrote:

drain is SO LOW that you could stop playing to scratch your nose and still live.
lol'd because this is actually true

ImmortalChibi wrote:

REALLY!!?!?!? Only 115 play counts? That's like total counts ever overall? Even failures?
Yes, yes, yes and yes.

You're complaining about the game mechanics while you're barely playing it at all. That doesn't make sense.
Just go play more, you'll finish by ignoring hpdrain like it never existed.
Topic Starter
ImmortalChibi

Dexus wrote:

*・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・'(*゚▽゚*)'・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・*
Play easier songs that are suited for your ability or play more so you can not mess up as much. Health drain is frustrating and can be overly annoying on some maps, but when you overcome it you get a more satisfying feeling. Even when the drain puts you down to nothing and you recover just barely it makes the game that much more exhilarating.

Go play osu!stream if you don't want to deal with health drain.
Right, I know it's very rewarding to overcome it. Like I've said a million times though, I only want a mod (even at the cost of a points multiplier) to remove it.

GoldenWolf wrote:

You're complaining about the game mechanics while you're barely playing it at all. That doesn't make sense.
Just go play more, you'll finish by ignoring hpdrain like it never existed.
One game. Meh. 2... give it some more thought. At 100 games, I think I've played enough to get a gauge of how this game works. I mean, the things that upset me in League of Legends still upset me, 500 PvP games later/1 year later.
GoldenWolf

ImmortalChibi wrote:

One game. Meh. 2... give it some more thought. At 100 games, I think I've played enough to get a gauge of how this game works.
Nah. I've more than 30k playcount and I still learn new things about this game. At 100 playcount you still have no idea how the game really works. You'll get a rough idea about it when you'll be able to play Insanes decently.

100 plays is what I do in 2 hours.
Topic Starter
ImmortalChibi

GoldenWolf wrote:

Nah. I've more than 30k playcount and I still learn new things about this game. At 100 playcount you still have no idea how the game really works. You'll get a rough idea about it when you'll be able to play Insanes decently.

100 plays in two hours? You, sir or madam, play some short songs! Ha ha, no I understand what you mean though. And I disagree with how important you think the first one-hundred plays are. I think they're very important. I mean, I like to give games extra chances. Not everyone is like that and can be immediately turned away from a game in the first 20 minutes because it was too difficult to pick up or too boring. Equally as likely is 100 plays later, you get someone like me who is annoyed by a recurring theme and would probably quit quite soon. This is a last ditch effort to get one small mod into the game to make it a little more simple.
Dexus

GoldenWolf wrote:

ImmortalChibi wrote:

One game. Meh. 2... give it some more thought. At 100 games, I think I've played enough to get a gauge of how this game works.

I was going to say I still learn new things as well even though I've been playing since 2009, but editing the post to only show that line while on my phone was rather annoying. I opted to wait until I got home to write the post and then saw yours.

ImmortalChibi wrote:

This is a last ditch effort to get one small mod into the game to make it a little more simple.
I don't think you've noticed yet, but we have no control over this unless we vote for it to be added. The mass can push for additions to this game, but peppy ultimately decides if it's going to happen. If the mass is not pushing for it to happen and is telling you no chances are peppy is not going to add this. Just wait it out until peppy or someone with the power to decide either approves this or locks it. Arguing your point with literally everyone is making this addition less and less likely to happen because it's showing how much people don't really need it to be in the game. I really do applaud your tenacity about this though; you write paragraphs to counter-argue literally everyone that says anything to try and prove yourself right. (Even if they do show you're running around in circles)

(oops almost double posted that)
GoldenWolf

ImmortalChibi wrote:

100 plays in two hours? You, sir or madam, play some short songs! Ha ha, no I understand what you mean though. And I disagree with how important you think the first one-hundred plays are. I think they're very important. I mean, I like to give games extra chances. Not everyone is like that and can be immediately turned away from a game in the first 20 minutes because it was too difficult to pick up or too boring. Equally as likely is 100 plays later, you get someone like me who is annoyed by a recurring theme and would probably quit quite soon. This is a last ditch effort to get one small mod into the game to make it a little more simple.
Sir.
The first 100 plays are important in the way they give you firsts impressions of the game, yet you won't understand how the game really works with those little 100 plays.
Those who give up at this game with less than 1k plays simply doesn't fit it, and would never play it longer whatever you modify to the game.
This game doesn't need to be more simple at all, either you take the time to get better and learn how to play it properly, either you quit.
You can call is "elitist" game, but that's only a hard game that takes time to get better at, unlike 95% of the others games.
XPJ38

ImmortalChibi wrote:

This mod doesn't exist. NoFail still shows your HP and it changes the entire play so that you there's no motivation whatsoever to hit the notes since you literally cannot lose.
Wait, I don't understand you on this one. You say this, yet you want a mod that basically removes the health bar, implying the fact that there would be no way to fail (unless you want to create a new way to fail, which is obviously a no-no). Am I missing something here? Or are you asking for a mod that removes the health bar yet it would be still active (in which case, you could simply replace the health bar with 1x1 blank PNGs in your custom skin to get the same behaviour)?

Also I don't understand the "changes the entire play" argument. Are you saying that *because* there's a health bar, you play differently? If you think that way, there's something wrong with the concept of osu! you have in mind. You should give your best at all times, that's how it works.
Topic Starter
ImmortalChibi

Dexus wrote:

I don't think you've noticed yet, but we have no control over this unless we vote for it to be added. The mass can push for additions to this game, but peppy ultimately decides if it's going to happen. If the mass is not pushing for it to happen and is telling you no chances are peppy is not going to add this. Just wait it out until peppy or someone with the power to decide either approves this or locks it. Arguing your point with literally everyone is making this addition less and less likely to happen because it's showing how much people don't really need it to be in the game. I really do applaud your tenacity about this though; you write paragraphs to counter-argue literally everyone that says anything to try and prove yourself right. (Even if they do show you're running around in circles)

(oops almost double posted that)
The forums is usually a good place to start. I'm not going to repost this until things go my way, I understand how the process works a little bit. They can read the first post and decide right there. Or if they read on they'll see a couple people that don't want it and a couple that don't think it's a bad idea to put in. Nobody thinks this is absolutely necessary and the game is flawed on a monumental level because of the HP Drain.
And yes, I run in circles. But I usually play question master in Twitch.tv streams, so I'm used to repeating the same thing to people who didn't scroll up (or in this case read an additional four pages of comments). Thanks though.

GoldenWolf wrote:

Sir.
The first 100 plays are important in the way they give you firsts impressions of the game, yet you won't understand how the game really works with those little 100 plays.
Those who give up at this game with less than 1k plays simply doesn't fit it, and would never play it longer whatever you modify to the game.
This game doesn't need to be more simple at all, either you take the time to get better and learn how to play it properly, either you quit.
You can call is "elitist" game, but that's only a hard game that takes time to get better at, unlike 95% of the others games.
Well, if you're willing to accept that Osu! is that kind of game. But I'm more so new-age where I like games to kinda cater to everyone it can in terms of helping them get into the game. We have the capability now for devs to communicate with the audience and make their game better.

XPJ38 wrote:

Wait, I don't understand you on this one. You say this, yet you want a mod that basically removes the health bar, implying the fact that there would be no way to fail with it, unless you want to create a new way to fail (which is obviously a no-no). Or do you want a mod that removes the health bar yet it would be still active (in which case, you could simply replace the health bar with 1x1 blank PNGs in your custom skin to get the same behaviour)? Am I missing something here?

Also I don't understand the "changes the entire play" argument. Are you saying that *because* there's a health bar, you play differently? If you think that way, there's something wrong with the concept of osu! you have in mind. You should give your best at all times, that's how it works.
No, I may have worded what you quoted improperly. Everyone's solve-all is go to NoFail. What I meant is the HP Drain is still in NoFail and so nothing is solved. And by no motivation, I meant that because you cannot lose you feel like you don't have to try as hard.
Precisely what I want is no HP Drain. That's 100% it. Passive drain that is. Like miss a note and you're fucked is fine. In between two notes where you are not hitting something and your health is dropping... that's not as cool.

And no, not the health bar in its entirety does. Well yeah it does comparatively to games of its genre without a meter. BUT, I mean the HP Drain is a HUGE factor between normal drop from missing notes and passive uncontrollable drop that can cause a panic when it gets low.
GoldenWolf

ImmortalChibi wrote:

Nobody thinks this is absolutely necessary and the game is flawed on a monumental level because of the HP Drain.
The game isn't flawed at all. There is no problem with hp drain, the only problem is you.

ImmortalChibi wrote:

Well, if you're willing to accept that Osu! is that kind of game. But I'm more so new-age where I like games to kinda cater to everyone it can in terms of helping them get into the game. We have the capability now for devs to communicate with the audience and make their game better.
"Better"? You're kidding right? Making a game easier is not making it better at all.
You're maybe new-age, but you'll have to accept that osu! isn't.
buny
pls reward me 5x points for playing with no drain

next thing OP wants is a mod that reduces speed to 0.1x and awards full points too
benguin

lolcubes wrote:

benguin wrote:

I like how people keep posting "no fail" when the OP has already explained why he/she feels no fail is not sufficient for the issue at hand, yet no one has addressed this explanation, instead people pretend like the OP hasn't made any valid argument and just keep spamming "nofail."sometimes I read the osu forums instead of the Sunday comics, this community really is entertaining.

ImmortalChibi wrote:

Literally 0 issues are caused by my proposition to create a mod to eliminate/add HP Drain at the cost of points, and it fixes the issue I am currently talking about.
I guess you missed it. :p
I don't see how your post counters what I said at all? Anyways, I'm all against this idea for many reasons myself. I'm just saying that too many people on this forum have terrible argumentation skills paired along with bad mindsets and attitudes. Just because one's opinion differs from someone else's, doesn't mean that you need to make that other person feel like a pile of nothing using flawed logic and nonsense (I'm not talking about you specifically now, I've seen you make good, sound arguments in these forums. I'm talking about a large portion of this community in general)

EDIT:

boat wrote:

Don't like it? Don't play the game, go away. You won't be missed.
I don't think the goal of osu should be to discourage new players to "go away." It's these type of mindsets that drive people away from the game.
KinkiN
If you only want a mod that remove the HP Drain , then the solution is simple : Go to Feature Request.
jemhuntr

Otonashi Yuzuru wrote:

If you only want a mod that remove the HP Drain , then the solution is simple : Go to Feature Request.
this.
I read some parts of the OP, the first few replies, and the last few replies.There's no reason to rant in this forum. Also, I'm pretty sure this has been talked about several times in feature requests anyways.
GoldenWolf

Otonashi Yuzuru wrote:

That's right.
Wanna change the way the game behave? Go make a feature request there and see how well it goes.
benguin
@ImmortalChibi: the feature request might be appealing to users like you and other users that feel the same way. However, you're gonna run into some problems. The first is, if it was a mod, then there would have to be a score multiplier, obviously a score decreasing one. However, then the argument becomes "how much?" I know how angsty people are about certain maps where halftime scores get better overall scores than no mods scores on super difficult maps because of the fact that it's easier to maintan a combo on halftime. Having a mod like this could create similar issues (ex: "hey, instead of using nofail, lets use this other mod instead that has a higher score multiplier since I'm only failing this section because of life drain.")

The other option would be to make it unranked. However, then you lose that whole motivation concept you were talking about.

So I don't see such a mod turning in your favor, sorry.
KinkiN
But that's better. requesting about that here won't get his/her request anywhere.
benguin
Sure, I encourage him to make such a thread in feature requests. We can see how it'll pan out.
Topic Starter
ImmortalChibi

GoldenWolf wrote:

"Better"? You're kidding right? Making a game easier is not making it better at all.
You're maybe new-age, but you'll have to accept that osu! isn't.
It's not making the game overall easier! I've tried to explain this numerous times. There just should be an option.

buny wrote:

pls reward me 5x points for playing with no drain

next thing OP wants is a mod that reduces speed to 0.1x and awards full points too
See, I don't blame you for not reading through 6 pages. But you making a bold accusation like this makes you look stupid. I VERY clearly said that this mod would be at the cost of points, as all the other mods do that make the game easier.

benguin wrote:

@ImmortalChibi: the feature request might be appealing to users like you and other users that feel the same way. However, you're gonna run into some problems. The first is, if it was a mod, then there would have to be a score multiplier, obviously a score decreasing one. However, then the argument becomes "how much?" I know how angsty people are about certain maps where halftime scores get better overall scores than no mods scores on super difficult maps because of the fact that it's easier to maintan a combo on halftime. Having a mod like this could create similar issues (ex: "hey, instead of using nofail, lets use this other mod instead that has a higher score multiplier since I'm only failing this section because of life drain.")

The other option would be to make it unranked. However, then you lose that whole motivation concept you were talking about.

So I don't see such a mod turning in your favor, sorry.
Use "Spunout" as an example. It's almost the exact same thing- removing an element people have trouble with.

Otonashi Yuzuru wrote:

But that's better. requesting about that here won't get his/her request anywhere.
his :)

Thank you to the people that were actually helpful and well mannered in this thread. I skimmed the threads category somewhat and didn't catch the "Future Requests" forum. I appreciate those of you that point it out now.
And for those of you that were butt-waffles... please be nicer to people. You don't want to give the Osu! community the name that the League of Legends community has like antisocial, fat, no-life, doesn't know what a woman feels like nerds.
XPJ38

ImmortalChibi wrote:

I skimmed the threads category somewhat and didn't catch the "Future Requests" forum. I appreciate those of you that point it out now.
It's just here: 4

Be sure to reformulate your request to be 100% clear and understandable to avoid one of the main problems that you came up with here, i.e. your OP was misleading and people were confused.
Topic Starter
ImmortalChibi

XPJ38 wrote:

ImmortalChibi wrote:

I skimmed the threads category somewhat and didn't catch the "Future Requests" forum. I appreciate those of you that point it out now.
It's just here: https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/4

Be sure to reformulate your request to be 100% clear and understandable to avoid one of the main problems that you came up with here, i.e. your OP was misleading and people were confused.
For sure, thanks. ^_^
XPJ38
Alright, let's lock this now.