forum

[Proposal] Metadata - Catch-all for uncovered langauges

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Noffy
Currently romanisation rules cover russian/cryllic, japanese, and chinese.

However this does not cover other languages, of which there are quite many. Currently the metadata RC covers those languages as they are frequently ranked and are worth covering on their own.

The closest we have for other languages is the following:
Special unicode characters must be filtered to their nearest standard equivalent or removed from the romanised fields within a .osu file.

Which is not specific enough to be clear it can cover other languages as well.

My proposal is this be added as a final point to the romanization rules:

Metadata in other languages not specifically covered in this section and lacking an official romanization from the artist must use a system common and recognizable for the language. Contacting a native speaker is recommended to ensure accuracy in these cases.
Nokashi
Absolutely Agree. At least on the greek side from me where theres ambiguity over aesthetic usage as well, this might as well be the best approach we can get! :D

Wholeheartedly supporting this proposal
UndeadCapulet
very nice addition

should also have something included about languages that use scripts/characters that osu doesnt support, making something that applies to all edge cases instead of just romanization would be a good idea for the future imo
Topic Starter
Noffy

UndeadCapulet wrote:

should also have something included about languages that use scripts/characters that osu doesnt support, making something that applies to all edge cases instead of just romanization would be a good idea for the future imo
This one I'm not very sure about since it's ambiguous what is/isn't supported - and goes beyond languages into other symbols too (like emojis). For example look at this: beatmapsets/1021338#osu/2861740 . All symbols show on the website (but you can tell from style changes it's using fallback fonts), the second "D" doesn't show in game on stable, and then the title is completely broken in lazer

That issue probably needs a seperate + dedicated discussion with developers to hash out what is/isn't and will/won't be supported in the future to make sure it's a decent result for all platforms.
Hivie
vouch
Dragontail
I agree that this is a good idea as well
radar
:thumbsup:
StarCastler
Agree, makes sense to clarify this better.

As a side note, if a consensus is met regarding a common system for a language not currently covered, will it be documented for future use? Would be useful to have a way to know these sort of cases for consistency.
Topic Starter
Noffy

StarCastler wrote:

Agree, makes sense to clarify this better.

As a side note, if a consensus is met regarding a common system for a language not currently covered, will it be documented for future use? Would be useful to have a way to know these sort of cases for consistency.

I think if this becomes a thing we want in the future, we could do a sub wiki page for other languages and approved romanization methods so it doesn't get too long on main RC.

Made a PR thread for the main thing I originally proposed for now c:
https://github.com/ppy/osu-wiki/pull/5772

7/9 edit: is merged /o/