forum

Left-handed keyboard ergonomics

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
kfshradio
Okay, this is a pretty precise topic, but feel free to expand into similar categories, as it covers a lot of ground.

So, I've been a tablet player for five months. Lefty, of course. I've gone through multiple clicking keys (Num2+Num3, Period+Question, OpenBracket+CloseBracket, primarily) and multiple keyboards. I've recently gone mechanical, and as I always do when I change keyboards, I am stuck trying to decide which keys to click with.

I'd like to hear from other left-handed players, either mouse or tablet (few as they may be)! What keys do you guys use to click? Do you keep your keyboard parallel with your monitor, or off at an angle to the side? Do you have any war stories to share about which keys you use, or just why you use them? For example, my current favorite combination is OpenBracket + CloseBracket, as I prefer its open hand shape, it allows for moderate wrist rotation (but not enough for hardcore carpal tunnel, which has been a problem before), and it allows me to use part of the surface of my tablet as a wrist rest (I play with my tablet centered to my monitor as opposed to off at the side).

tl;dr: Lefties--tell me which keys you use to play osu!standard and why you use them.
Jagermeiser
I switch around the numpad input keys maybe once or twice a month (currently 1,2). My keyboard is at a slight angle, since my middle finger is so damn long.
TakuMii
I used to be on Num1/Num2, but I noticed that the way my hand was positioned on my keyboard's (somewhat narrow) wrist rest was severely limiting my ability to stream. I moved my hands up to Num4/Num5 and the problem has mostly alleviated itself. I likewise moved from Z/X to A/S whenever I'm playing right-handed (when I use my mouse) but it's a bit harder to get used to since I've been mostly playing with tablet as of recent.

My keyboard is parallel with my monitor. I also recently stopped using my keyboard's feet when playing osu! as the angle also made it somewhat more difficult to stream.
Topic Starter
kfshradio

YayMii wrote:

I used to be on Num1/Num2, but I noticed that the way my hand was positioned on my keyboard's (somewhat narrow) wrist rest was severely limiting my ability to stream.
My keyboard doesn't have a wrist rest, so last night I tried moving up to Num8 / Num9 so i could use the edge of the keyboard's frame as a rest of sorts. Using Num1/2 or Num2/3 hurt my wrist too much whenever I played a stream-intensive song above 190 BPM or so.

I moved my hands up to Num4/Num5 and the problem has mostly alleviated itself. I likewise moved from Z/X to A/S whenever I'm playing right-handed (when I use my mouse) but it's a bit harder to get used to since I've been mostly playing with tablet as of recent.
Before moving to Num8/9, I tried Num4 and Num5, but my keyboard has a bump on Num5 (similar to the bumps on F and J) that really messed up my singletapping.

My keyboard is parallel with my monitor. I also recently stopped using my keyboard's feet when playing osu! as the angle also made it somewhat more difficult to stream.
I'm unsure as to this, yet. Gonna try feet/no feet for a while and decide eventually. I'll let you know.

-

Another thing to consider for anybody out there: What do you do with your pinky/ring finger while you play? It seems a majority of lefties use the numpad, so, at least for me, those digits are hanging in the air. I either curl them up, or brace them against the side of my keyboard itself during fast streams/when I get bored.
Almost
I really don't see how asking what keys other players use will help you at all since it's different for everyone because of different keyboard and hand sizes.
winber1
how does changing keys do anything to your gameplay

just pick some random keys and start mashing. instant pro
Qplayer
I use period and slash (. and /) I figure that it approximately mirrors the default keys for a right handed player. I haven't had any problems.
TakuMii
I forgot to mention, I play on my laptop every once in a while, and it doesn't have a numpad. The area below the keyboard is much wider than my desktop's keyboard, allowing me to comfortably use Z/X or period/slash.