forum

Still a big time choker, may need an outside eye(and maps)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Molly Sandera
I've been playing for quite some time now (20d of playtime across one year and a half) and I've improved in various ways with having developed certain strengths. But one of my worst skills remains to be my aim. Having scores where my accuracy is high but also my miss count to be high looks embarrassing for me as an average player can get a better miss count on it. I have been playing a variety of maps, so even though i don't think that's the main reason, in case it is, i would like to have any maps involving aim (even some popular farm maps), including awkward aim maps. I play both short and long maps so any is welcome!
In any case I've been getting desperate about why my aim is so bad, so any help is appreciated. For context, I'm a mouse player using 1250 dpi on a 1366x768 resolution
Juuuuuuuuul
I'm curious about what people will answer here,

I have similar aim issue
with 2000 hours playtime, aim is the only skill that i can't improve anymore,
i'm slowly getting better at everything else (reading, finger control, rhythm sens, etc...)
but aim is not improving, worst, it's even slowly regressing since more than a year now.

I wish you to find how to fix your aim issue.
aveil
Most of aim is reading, it is the limiter, as your cursor follows your reading. The rest is just muscle memory, and for aim the muscle memory doesn’t take that long to develop. If you want to master aim consistency, you need to master reading. It is very easy to think you can read something when you really cannot, or at least not well. Just being able to follow a pattern doesn’t mean you can fully read it, being able to sense how the pattern is to be played before you play it with a combination of rhythm sense and visual reading is needed for consistency. Your pattern processing speed might also be holding you back, playing hard aim maps (farm maps work well) with higher AR than you're comfortable reading can be very useful to train this - use osu! trainer to find a good bpm and gradually raise it after improving scores to the point where you get diminishing returns (i.e: improving C/B ranks up to A ranks).
ttheguy

Molly Sandera wrote:

I've been playing for quite some time now (20d of playtime across one year and a half) and I've improved in various ways with having developed certain strengths. But one of my worst skills remains to be my aim. Having scores where my accuracy is high but also my miss count to be high looks embarrassing for me as an average player can get a better miss count on it. I have been playing a variety of maps, so even though i don't think that's the main reason, in case it is, i would like to have any maps involving aim (even some popular farm maps), including awkward aim maps. I play both short and long maps so any is welcome!
In any case I've been getting desperate about why my aim is so bad, so any help is appreciated. For context, I'm a mouse player using 1250 dpi on a 1366x768 resolution
4 Star Jump Maps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txwTuNcciEM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pidovgE7kkU&t=98s
5 Star Jump Maps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2bP5FW8R0A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a2jBsC9ykE
6 Star Jump Maps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2UFQzGJ88g
titanick
I agree with Autime's point that aim is mostly about reading, and disagree with ttheguy that you should be playing jump maps.

First, about jump maps. You should use these more as benchmarks to see how well you can aim, rather than use them as practice material. I don't touch any jump maps (and I generally avoid farm jump maps) but I would say my aim is pretty consistent and good for my rank.

Regarding reading: it's a good sign that your accuracy is high, which means you probably have decent reading skills (I don't know what maps your top scores are though, so they may be simple maps for all I know).

So I would like to know: what are the reasons you miss?
1. Is it mechanical, in that you see a circle and you move your cursor towards the circle but it's off?
2. Or are you not reading each individual circle separately and are instead aiming in the general direction using your peripheral vision?
3. Or do you not read ahead of the current circle, such that you are 'caught by surprise' by a jump and hence screw up your aim?

1. If it's the first issue, I would suggest to not read ahead of circles first, but to focus on the current circle and your cursor to make sure it goes to where you want it to go. This would help build the muscle memory of your hand moving your mouse to where your eyes looks at. Once you've mastered that then start reading ahead of the current circle, and your hand will move automatically to aim the current circle even if your eyes are no longer looking there.

2. If it's the second issue, I highly suggest you start learning to read individual circles. This is extremely important for snapping to the correct location, and will be very useful for more difficult maps in the future. For example, to play a sliderspam map, you have to read each slider individually and focus solely on the sliderhead. There's no quick fix to this, start with a simpler map and intentionally focus on individual circles.

3. If it's the third issue, then you have to learn how to read ahead. This assumes that you've mastered your aim such that your hand goes to where your eyes are looking at (i.e. the first issue). Reading ahead simply means focusing on the notes that are just appearing, rather than those whose approach circles are already closing in on the hitcircle. This means that by the time your hands move the cursor to the circle and tap to the beat, your brain should have had a good amount of time to process when and where that circle is. If you perfect this, the only thing that can surprise you is slider velocity changes, since everything else should have been read by you before you hit them. Again, you have to practice this with a simpler map.

Let me know what exactly your issue with aim is, because the above points are definitely not exhaustive. But they should be a good starting point for most people to improve their aim.
Almost
The advice the people above me gave is good but I would disagree with a few points.

1. If you want to get good at jump maps then play more jump maps because the people who tend to be good at jump maps are the people who spend most of their time on jump maps. Don't just use jump maps as a benchmark because that's like studying addition for a multiplication test, you ain't going to get the best results.

2. Improving your reading will only improve your aiming consistency. This is good if you're messing up constantly on 'easy' jumps but won't do you any good on jumps that lie on the outskirts of your skill level.

3. Don't play EZ mod unless you want to get good at EZ mod specifically.

4. Don't adjust your dpi if you're over/under aiming consistently. Over/under aiming is usually due to poor reading abilities.
Dollscythe
play square jump maps.

prioritize the ar9 versions.

this will achieve two things:

1. challenge your reading comparatively with most maps you'll be encountering (ar 9.3+)
2. challenge your aim in the sense that you have to deal with square angles which is perfect as it will make your accute and obtuse angle snapping better.

warm up everytime you boot up osu with a map like this. you will feel a big improvement within a week. seriously.

it will also improve your singletap stamina if you're a singletapper. very useful skillset.
Topic Starter
Molly Sandera
I've been reading your replies, I'm gonna apply those, and gonna figure out the nature of my misses per titanick's advice
rmanz
Buy a tablet and use it instead for a while to see how you get on with it. Frankly it’s just a lot easier than using mouse for most people even if it is possible to get really good. I say this as a TF2/Quake player for over 10 years playing fps competitively. It’s just easier to play tablet for me. You of course can get good with mouse though but you might need to suffer a lot. Or really think deeper about what settings you’re using.
Bayki
Play more, but correctly play more! Playing the same 7 star jump map to improve your aim is not going to do anything. Sure, it helps with memorization, but it won't do any good in the long run. The level of one's aim can be broken in three categories:
1. Raw Aim
2. Reading
3. Control
To determine if you have good raw aim, ask yourself this: Do I have control over my peripherals? To be able to do this, one must either find the dpi of their mouse that they are most comfortable with or their tablet area. One size does not fit all. WhiteCat's tablet area is super hard to use for Vaxei (most likely).
Reading, at least for me, is probably the most important one. Are you reading the pattern correctly? Are you actually drawing a square in a square jump or a circle? To fix this, look at every circle. EVERY CIRCLE.
Control goes like this: Can you time your aim to be on the circle while you are clicking? This one kind of goes in with reading. To have control, learn do click circles when aiming when you see your cursor overlap the individual circles. Most people miss despite it looking like they actually hit the circle. Although they most likely hit the circle, the game did not register the click happening on the circle at the same time.
Joon Yorigami

ttheguy wrote:

Molly Sandera wrote:

4 Star Jump Maps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txwTuNcciEM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pidovgE7kkU&t=98s
5 Star Jump Maps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2bP5FW8R0A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a2jBsC9ykE
6 Star Jump Maps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2UFQzGJ88g

Dollscythe wrote:

play square jump maps.

prioritize the ar9 versions.

this will achieve two things:

1. challenge your reading comparatively with most maps you'll be encountering (ar 9.3+)
2. challenge your aim in the sense that you have to deal with square angles which is perfect as it will make your accute and obtuse angle snapping better.

warm up everytime you boot up osu with a map like this. you will feel a big improvement within a week. seriously.

it will also improve your singletap stamina if you're a singletapper. very useful skillset.
I might sound like a dick but these are not necessarily good advice, aim is not linear, just because you practice these kinds of maps, doesnt mean you'll improve overall, sure you can practice and you can good at aiming jumps, and that's the thing, you'll only get good at jumps. While these maps may be fun (and I don't condemn anyone who thinks so) these are not good for practicing your overall aim, maps aren't just jump aim, they have different kind of aim as well such as flow, burst aim, and slider aiming.

If you really want to get consistent at your aiming, playing long maps (but not really long as it can drain your stamina), I'd say 3:30 - 4:00 maps are a good start. You can also focus playing on what type of aim you want to improve on, for example playing tech for slider aiming, alt maps for high density aim, and much more.

at least, that's what I think of it, feel free for anyone to criticize me.
Topic Starter
Molly Sandera

Bayki wrote:

Play more, but correctly play more! Playing the same 7 star jump map to improve your aim is not going to do anything. Sure, it helps with memorization, but it won't do any good in the long run. The level of one's aim can be broken in three categories:
1. Raw Aim
2. Reading
3. Control
To determine if you have good raw aim, ask yourself this: Do I have control over my peripherals? To be able to do this, one must either find the dpi of their mouse that they are most comfortable with or their tablet area. One size does not fit all. WhiteCat's tablet area is super hard to use for Vaxei (most likely).
Reading, at least for me, is probably the most important one. Are you reading the pattern correctly? Are you actually drawing a square in a square jump or a circle? To fix this, look at every circle. EVERY CIRCLE.
Control goes like this: Can you time your aim to be on the circle while you are clicking? This one kind of goes in with reading. To have control, learn do click circles when aiming when you see your cursor overlap the individual circles. Most people miss despite it looking like they actually hit the circle. Although they most likely hit the circle, the game did not register the click happening on the circle at the same time.
Question: what if I'm not playing high star jump maps enough? I'm the kind of person to not play for passes. And i easily get skill capped on higher star maps compared to average farmers
I'll one day see if I'm hitting squares circularly or linearly. The last time, i saw myself doing it circularly but it might have been changed