forum

What is a good method of being more motivated to map.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
startone
I have been struggling demotivation to finish gds, finish my maps, and more mapping related things. But i dont want to be demotivated, does anyone know a decent method of staying motivated while mapping?
Sophie Twilight
I hardly do guest difficulties as it's pain to keep up on mapping them. From my experience, I have my motivation from solo projects that are not aimed for ranked. I find ranking procedures are the main cause mappers around me to demotivate. Don't expect anything from your maps. You map for the song, not for anything else.
Topic Starter
startone

- Mahiro - wrote:

I hardly do guest difficulties as it's pain to keep up on mapping them. From my experience, I have my motivation from solo projects that are not aimed for ranked. I find ranking procedures are the main cause mappers around me to demotivate. Don't expect anything from your maps. You map for the song, not for anything else.
But that is where it gets boring.. I want to map something and put work into it so i can rank it, not so it can just go to the graveyard, it would look like all my hard work has gone to waist.. Probably demotivating me even MORE...
DeletedUser_13957006
trying to ranking something and not being able to would be even more wasteful - possibly demotivating even more than mapping just for graveyard
Sophie Twilight

Pentacoilz wrote:

- Mahiro - wrote:

But that is where it gets boring.. I want to map something and put work into it so i can rank it, not so it can just go to the graveyard, it would look like all my hard work has gone to waist.. Probably demotivating me even MORE...
I get how rewarding it is to receive ranked status on your map, but getting it is on entirely different difficulty than what you expect. You'll end up investing a lot of time for a single mapset and end up without producing results, other than stress and demotivation.
TheKingHenry
motivation should generally come from whatever you personally want in mapping

one common aspect is music you love; it's much more motivating to map slappers than something you are more or less indifferent towards

If ranking floats your boat, sure, let that keep you motivated then. Typically purely doing just that is not too recommended though, especially when starting out whatnot. Rather than that, usual good route would be to focus on improving instead, and ranking will come naturally through that. Then again, with bit of a switch in perspective, perhaps you can get your goal of ranking to motivate you to just plain and simple improve as well instead, due the close ties between the two as mentioned

but in the end like I started with, whatever serves as sufficient motivation to you is mainly for you to decide ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Topic Starter
startone

TheKingHenry wrote:

motivation should generally come from whatever you personally want in mapping

one common aspect is music you love; it's much more motivating to map slappers than something you are more or less indifferent towards

If ranking floats your boat, sure, let that keep you motivated then. Typically purely doing just that is not too recommended though, especially when starting out whatnot. Rather than that, usual good route would be to focus on improving instead, and ranking will come naturally through that. Then again, with bit of a switch in perspective, perhaps you can get your goal of ranking to motivate you to just plain and simple improve as well instead, due the close ties between the two as mentioned

but in the end like I started with, whatever serves as sufficient motivation to you is mainly for you to decide ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
i agree with this more than any other post besides mine in this thread
Asphiee
I've been demotivated like, since the early months of mapping. Can't even finish my own set lol
Chiru-kun
mapping is like art to me. i map for myself before others. i want to see a song mapped that way, thats why i map it. and i relisten to my favorite songs a lot, imagining maps along the way.
Topic Starter
startone
i find seeing my own improvement another good source of motivation