forum

[added] [Proposal - Metadata] Standardisation about CV vs VO

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Drum-Hitnormal

Problem Statement

Official Metadata says Character (Vo. Singer). But it is ranked as Character (CV: Singer) which is misleading because the singer is not singing with character voice and is different person from the voice actor for the character.

Currently, I have found 2 ranked maps where VO was replaced by CV because the RC doesn't say anything about VO.

https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/1470500
https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/1264917

Solution

This proposal is to change the existing standardisation rule:

When a fictional character is credited as the singer of a song, their credit is to be formatted in a Character (CV: Voice Actor) format. For live action, credit the voice actor only.

to

When a fictional character is credited as the singer of a song, their credit is to be formatted in a Character (CV: Voice Actor) format. When primary metadata uses `Character (Vo. Singer)`, where singer is not the CV, it should be `Character (VO: Singer)` format. For live action, credit the voice actor only.

This format makes it consistent with current CV rules and doesn't cause any problem with ambiguous tag usage.

Solution 2 (proposed by Muse Dash/ML-ysg)

When a fictional character is credited as the singer of a song, their credit is to be formatted in a Character (CV: Voice Actor) format. When primary metadata uses `Character (Vo. Singer)`, it should be `Singer` format and put the character in tags. For live action, credit the voice actor only.

issue with this format is the character in tags doesn't indicate any relationship with the song, it could be related to the BG.

Character Voice (CV)

CV means the song is sing by the character using the character voice.

For example, with Waki Azumi in 300 years killing slimes ED, she voiced the character in the anime, but does not sing using character voice, she sings with her actual voice. The song is sing by her as artist, not by her as CV, therefore official meta doesn't use CV. In that case you would not follow that standardization rule.
https://slime300-anime.com/bluray-cd/

when CV is used officially, it means the singer is the voice actor. I have not seen a case where it is not.

Voice Over (VO)

VO is used when song is sing by character but not using character voice. This is the case when the singer and voice actor are 2 different people as seen in `Vivy` and `Carole and Tuesday`. VO is there to make a distinction so people don't confuse the singer as the voice actor.

So saying VO and CV is same doesn't make sense to me.

If you think not following original meta is right then you need provide reason why VO is wrong.

Conclusion

I don't think CV and VO has same meaning, and I don't think the current RC is implying that CV=VO, so something needs to be added to the current RC to prevent people from using CV by mistake.

I don't think using CV when official meta uses VO is correct.

This is my first time making a proposal.
I am not very good with grammar, please help with the wording.

Consensus

community/forums/posts/8147605

TL;DR

If official meta use CV, then use CV
If official meta use VO, then use VO, not CV
If official meta doesn't use either, don't use either
Muse Dash
—— 'When a fictional character is credited as the singer of a song, their credit is to be formatted in a Character (CV: Voice Actor) format. For live action, credit the voice actor only.'

My opinion (in short):

To be honest, I don't think a 'Voice Over' (According to Drum-Hitnormal's argument) should be considered to a 'fictional singer'. Because it's not the same voice with the 'fictional character'.

For me, I don't think VO is that important and necessary to be added into 'Artist'. To avoid misleading as well as make the metadata rules too complex. I suggest just add the 'fictional character' to 'optional tags' instead.
Topic Starter
Drum-Hitnormal

Muse Dash wrote:

—— 'When a fictional character is credited as the singer of a song, their credit is to be formatted in a Character (CV: Voice Actor) format. For live action, credit the voice actor only.'

My opinion (in short):

To be honest, I don't think a 'Voice Over' (According to Drum-Hitnormal's argument) should be considered to a 'fictional singer'. Because it's not the same voice with the 'fictional character'.

For me, I don't think VO is that important and necessary to be added into 'Artist'. To avoid misleading as well as make the metadata rules too complex. I suggest just add the 'fictional character' to 'optional tags' instead.
the official meta is listing it as Fictional Character (VO Singer). So I don't think you can ignore that it is a fictional character and just use `Singer` without character name in artist field.

But I do think just `Singer` is still more correct than `Fictional Character (CV: Singer)`

metadata is already complicated, and that's the nature of it. it should not be a concern to make changes to existing rules.

my main point is the usage of CV is wrong.
deta5859
IMO, no matter using CV or VO, we should always follow official.

CV. to CV: is okay
because its same meaning
thats what standardisation is for, its not for changing official meaning

;>
Muse Dash
the official meta is listing it as Fictional Character (VO Singer). So I don't think you can ignore that it is a fictional character and just use `Singer` without character name in artist field.
Maybe I am not clear enough.
Let me go more specifically, my opinion is:

If primary metadata source is 'CV' I think we should just keep what it as. No need to argue if it's the same voice as the character. (just as what deta5869 said)

If it's said 'VO' or similar things (I don't know if there's any) or didn't mentioned the CV in primary metadata source. then I think it shouldn't be marked as 'CV' in 'osu!' as well.
Topic Starter
Drum-Hitnormal

Muse Dash wrote:

Maybe I am not clear enough.
Let me go more specifically, my opinion is:

If primary metadata source is 'CV' I think we should just keep what it as. No need to argue if it's the same voice as the character. (just as what deta5869 said)

If it's said 'VO' or similar things (I don't know if there's any) or didn't mentioned the CV in primary metadata source. then I think it shouldn't be marked as 'CV' in 'osu!' as well.
agree, I just want RC to explicitly say when official uses VO we should keep it as VO and not use CV
ML-ysg

Muse Dash wrote:

我赞同这一观点。我认为当声优并没有用角色音或者是为了某一角色(是自己配音的)而演唱的话,那么这首歌只属于他自己的歌曲,没有必要强调VO。但不排除有一些声优无法使用角色的声音唱歌而导致唱的角色歌接近自己的声音的情况。

I agree with this view. I think that when a seiyuu does not use the role voice or sing for a certain role (which is dubbed by himself/herself), then this song belongs only to his own song as a singer, and there is no need to emphasize VO. However, it cannot be ruled out that some voice actors cannot use the voice of the character to sing and the character song sung is close to their own voice.

That being the case, if the conditions are not met, I also think that CV cannot be used
Topic Starter
Drum-Hitnormal

ML-ysg wrote:

Muse Dash wrote:

我赞同这一观点。我认为当声优并没有用角色音或者是为了某一角色(是自己配音的)而演唱的话,那么这首歌只属于他自己的歌曲,没有必要强调VO。但不排除有一些声优无法使用角色的声音唱歌而导致唱的角色歌接近自己的声音的情况。

I agree with this view. I think that when a seiyuu does not use the role voice or sing for a certain role (which is dubbed by himself/herself), then this song belongs only to his own song as a singer, and there is no need to emphasize VO. However, it cannot be ruled out that some voice actors cannot use the voice of the character to sing and the character song sung is close to their own voice.

That being the case, if the conditions are not met, I also think that CV cannot be used
so what is your expected way to write artist when official says Character (Vo. Singer)?
ML-ysg

Drum-Hitnormal wrote:

ML-ysg wrote:

Muse Dash wrote:

so what is your expected way to write artist when official says Character (Vo. Singer)?
I think this is not need to write VO, just need to fill in the name of the singer.
We want to emphasize the song itself. If this song is independent of the character, then don't emphasize whether the singing singer of this song is involved in a role.
Topic Starter
Drum-Hitnormal

ML-ysg wrote:

Drum-Hitnormal wrote:

ML-ysg wrote:

Muse Dash wrote:

I think this is not need to write VO, just need to fill in the name of the singer.
We want to emphasize the song itself. If this song is independent of the character, then don't emphasize whether the singing singer of this song is involved in a role.
Using Vivy example, you would write `Vivy (Yagi Mari)` or `Yagi Mari` ? im confused.
ML-ysg

Drum-Hitnormal wrote:

ML-ysg wrote:

Drum-Hitnormal wrote:

ML-ysg wrote:

Muse Dash wrote:

Using Vivy example, you would write `Vivy (Yagi Mari)` or `Yagi Mari` ? im confused.
Yagi Mari is OK imo
Topic Starter
Drum-Hitnormal
@ML-ysg

Ok thanks, I understand your point now. will add this as solution #2.

appreciate your help
Paran
Thank you for your work. I agree with the opinion that a format that can clearly distinguish VO and CV should be added to the current RC. And I think Muse Dash and ML-ysg's solution is good. It seems better to add a character tag to the 'Singer' format rather than the 'Character (VO: Singer)' format. Because VO indicates that the character's voice actor and the actual singer are different people, so there is no need to put the character's name in front of Singer format in my opinion.
Topic Starter
Drum-Hitnormal

Paran wrote:

Thank you for your work. I agree with the opinion that a format that can clearly distinguish VO and CV should be added to the current RC. And I think Muse Dash and ML-ysg's solution is good. It seems better to add a character tag to the 'Singer' format rather than the 'Character (VO: Singer)' format. Because VO indicates that the character's voice actor and the actual singer are different people, so there is no need to put the character's name in front of Singer format in my opinion.
i just want to point out that using VO it indicate singer is related to character. without VO it may be confused with artist unrelated to the anime.

you have people who use BG of X character and put that character name in tags while the song is not related to the character. and your suggestion will end up looking same as this case
Paran
Then how about adding the following sentence to RC?
"If you're using a character's BG that's not related to the song, you shouldn't add that BG character's name to the tag."
Could this is also be a problem?
Topic Starter
Drum-Hitnormal

Paran wrote:

Then how about adding the following sentence to RC?
"If you're using a character's BG that's not related to the song, you shouldn't add that BG character's name to the tag."
Could this sentence also be a problem?

Tags must be related to the beatmap and not misleading for search results. Tags describing the beatmap's style, song, storyboard, video, or background content are considered to be related to the beatmap. - RC

tags related to the Background is considered valid. You can't add that sentence

For example, your kimetsu no yaiba song uses shinobu as BG, you can add shinobu in the tags, and I think it's not wrong to add it since it tells player who the character is.
Paran
Yeah you are right. Then even if the name of the character has nothing to do with the singer, it must be added. And in that respect, the 'Character (VO: Singer)' you suggested seems more reasonable.
Topic Starter
Drum-Hitnormal

Paran wrote:

Yeah you are right. Then even if the name of the character has nothing to do with the singer, it must be added. And in that respect, the 'Character (VO: Singer)' you suggested seems more reasonable.
I don't think the singer is unrelated to the character. It's same as in action movie, you have someone else to do the action scene, but it is to be perceived as the character its just not the original actor.

In carole and tuesday example, the Japanese voice actor can't sing in fluent English.
In vivy, my guess is that because she is AI, and her mission is to sing with "heart", and she is in the process of gaining that, so her singing is like hatsune miku, its programmed. So they use a different singer than CV to make the point clear that she is not singing wit her heart.

I think VO indicates the song is by the character, but it is not by the CV.
Paran
I just thought that the singer who actually sang and the character in the background had nothing to do with it. An extreme example is the use of a background containing band characters in an artist(Linkin Park, Maroon 5, etc.)'s songs unrelated to animation or jpop genres. If BG band characters and band artists' voices can be confused, it can be applied VO format?
Topic Starter
Drum-Hitnormal

Paran wrote:

I just thought that the singer who actually sang and the character in the background had nothing to do with it. An extreme example is the use of a background containing band characters in an artist(Linkin Park, Maroon 5, etc.)'s songs unrelated to animation or jpop genres. If BG band characters and band artists' voices can be confused, it can be applied VO format?
I think VO format should only apply if the official meta use VO, same as how CV is being used right now.
show more