forum

Should this song be mapped in 4/4 rhythm or 6/4 or both?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Dcs
So I started mapping from this song but I can't tell what the time signature of it is. I think the vocals are mostly 4/4 but the instruments seem to be mostly 6/4 from what I gather. Would greatly appreciate some advise!
roufou
as far as I can hear the whole song sounds like 4/4? The drum goes kick snare kick snare which would heavily indicate that.

edit: I guess the drum pattern could indicate 6/4 but idk it doesn't sound like it to me.
Topic Starter
Dcs
Yeah that was my initial thought, the main reason I'm asking is bc in the chorus theres this rhythm that's repeated each time which seems to line up when I use 1/6 divisons instead of 1/4.

I also may be using the wrong terminology as I'm fairly new to mapping.
roufou
ah, that's not time signature. That's just the snapping of the song.
It's a little hard to give advice cause I don't map standard much, but generally speaking I think it's best to stick to the most commonly used snappings, and try to use slider-repeats for the less common one? I could be wrong but I think that's how most standard mappers approach it in the average song.
Though honestly I think it depends on what makes the most sense for the song, I'd have a hard time figuring out what I would recommend without trying to map it myself. Maybe someone else has a better idea.
Topic Starter
Dcs
Oh yeah, I see you're a taiko player, almost a 3 digit too pog, and thanks for helping! Cheers for the advice and correction; I didn't realise there was a difference between signiture/snapping, now I do :D
lewski
on a quick listen it sounds like sticking to 1/6 for the vast majority of the song would work the best since it's swing, although I haven't put the song into the editor so don't take my word for it

the instruments are definitely 1/6 though so exceptions to the above would have to be 1/4 vocals either feeling more important than the instruments or just not conflicting with anything else in a certain spot
Topic Starter
Dcs
Thanks for the advice :D - I assume I should still use the 4/4 time signature bc of the drum kick-snare-kick-snare?
SaltyLucario
yes, this songs time signature is 4/4, i think i heard a metronome reset before one of choruses tho so doublecheck if downbeats align for whole map

also want to note, songs using 6/4 may also use kick-snare-kick-snare drum pattern so don't use it as an indicator of time signature - always use vocals/other instruments as well to check it
Topic Starter
Dcs
Thanks - thats really useful to know! :D