forum

Allow Album title in Source Field

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Izzywing
Saw some discussion about this and I think it would be a decent place to discuss this here. What do people think of allowing the album a song is from to be in the Source field? Up to now Source has been for media a track is from, like a video game, movie, etc. but I think it would also make perfect sense for the Album the track is from (if applicable) to go there too.

I think the main counterpoint to this is...why? we can put it in the tags anyway? But the Source field is more prominently visible in game (obviously) and having the album name display there makes more sense than having it limited solely to being relegated to a search function.

Mostly I just wanted to see what people think of the topic; it's very possible most people don't care enough to change this and don't want it changed. I'm not incredibly invested in this personally but things don't change if they don't get discussed formally so

- also there could just be an album field but thats a github type beat
- https://github.com/ppy/osu-web/issues/7437 proposed ^
AndrewRK
Sounds fine IMO but maybe some fringe cases would be annoying if the album name were absurdly long or something, since that would kinda splash it into other searches unintentionally. Doesn't strike me as particularly necessary but also seems innocuous.
Mordred
it's way too late for that at this point

would also be kinda confusing in some cases

imagine you have random anime op #3958. the anime name and the album name are both in japanese. chances are most people won't be able to tell the difference and forcing some sort of "priority" for what goes in the source field sounds retarded

there should be some other field for it tho
Noffy
agree with mordred though from what i remember of last discussions this is more likely to happen in the form of making tag functionality better than new fields
olc
i would be super down for an album field, too late to repurpose the source field though
IOException
i'd vote for there being a separate album field that also gets displayed rather than reusing source for this since without changing old ranked maps it wouldn't make very much sense. (obv won't happen since anything that requires dev involvement will take infinitely longer than community involvement)
Topic Starter
Izzywing

Noffy wrote:

agree with mordred though from what i remember of last discussions this is more likely to happen in the form of making tag functionality better than new fields
this is the most painful reply because i was about to write a github proposal for an album field but this makes me think it would get auto rejected lol. i guess ill do it anyway
Tatan
Since new fields would be way too complex to implement and we're probably not gonna get it, I think this might be a great idea for songs that don't really associate with any other media, but when the song is made specifically for generic anime #36727 mapper should prioritize the media it was created for. Personally I think if a song was 'featured in' but not 'created for' the mapper should prioritize the first source.

For example, if -artist- made -song- and released it in -album-, but a year after it was used as a main song for -movie-, the album should be the priority in source field

but if -artist- made -song- and it was made exclusively for a movie or anime, and THEN it was added to an album, the movie or anime should be the priority in source field
Logic Agent
curious as to what the functionality difference between source and album field would be. would we just want a field to put in the album name that maybe doesn't show up at the top of the screen where things entered as the source would?

i can see long album title + long song name + long artist + long diffname becoming an issue if this were implemented, though i do agree we could be doing a bit more than just putting the album in the tags
RealMetMuster
good idea, just add an album field
Dialect
^

i dunno, albums in sources just feels... off? to me tbh
honne
album field when
[[[[[[
album field yes
SilentWuffer
I think for now it being in the tags is sufficient
Noffy
Archiving as the original proposal of using the source field is not happening. But, if there are alternative solutions related to the visibility of albums, please be sure to make a new thread or follow up with the proposal linked in OP for an album field.