forum

osu! Background Blur - An application to blur map backgrounds

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
PurpleTurkey

Hey!

I was looking for an program to replace all my osu! backgrounds, but I did not find anything that was easy to use. So my friend and I created an app that adds a blur effect to all your osu! map backgrounds. Today we finally finished the gui and it is ready for use.

Download

Download link can be found at the top of this post, along with source code.

How to use

1. Select your osu! folder
2. Adjust the level of blur to be applied
3. Press the Blur Backgrounds button to start replacing images.
4. The blur effect applied on the maps' backgrounds can be reverted with the Restore Backgrounds button

- After pressing the Blur Backgrounds button, windows might say that the app is "not responding". The time app takes is dependent on the amount of beatmaps you have downloaded - more beatmaps = more time. While it's not recommended, closing the application/ending the process should not have a detrimental effect on your beatmaps. Closing the application might mean that not all beatmaps have a blurred background, but those that do can be easily reverted with the Restore Backgrounds button. Similarly, if the Restore Backgrounds button is not pressed, when the Blur Backgrounds is next pressed, the application will only have to process beatmap backgrounds that have not already been altered (taking less time).
- From our testing, the application consistently takes 30-35 seconds to handle 10Gb of data in the osu!/Songs directory. We are currently working on changes to significantly speed this up.

Features

1. In-app blurring preview
2. Background restoration/reversion

Changelog
Improved Speed Release (1.1)
Multiprocessing has been implemented. Now the application utilizes available cores to greatly speed up the time it takes to blur all the images. On an i5-8400 (6 cores), a >3 minute process was shortened to 30-35 seconds (in our testing). The console features in the last release (Initial Release 1.0) are being redesigned and are simplified in this release. Release 1.2 will feature an improve console/logging system.

Creators

everblaze - Algorithm developer
PurpleTurkey - Gui developer

Let us know what you think!
Discord: Turkey#3157

everblaze
As one of the creators of this application, I can assure that I have not found a better solution to replacing backgrounds. I recommend you try using this before trying anything else since it is quick, easy and doesn't cause any issues with Osu!
ainkeK
How long should I wait for when the application is not responding? It has been not responding for almost twenty minutes now, but I am afraid that if I were to close it all my backgrounds would get corrupted or something.
Topic Starter
PurpleTurkey

ainkeK wrote:

How long should I wait for when the application is not responding? It has been not responding for almost twenty minutes now, but I am afraid that if I were to close it all my backgrounds would get corrupted or something.
Thanks for your post! We've done some testing and reviewed what the currently compiled code is doing - it should be safe to close the application while its running.

We are also working on some major speed improvements :)

EDIT:
Release 1.1 is now available to download. Though it does does somewhat depend on the speed of your own computer, it should be significantly faster.
DarkWarriorX
HELP
AFTER I USED THIS PROGRAM MY ALL MAPS HAVE 0 STARS
PLEASE HELP
Off_Brand_Water
Osu!lazer has background blur. Dispite that, I think this is a great idea!
albertlolx
Thank you so much! Now i don't have to look at haram backgrounds every day!