forum

Graphical difficulty representation (similar to ddr)

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
kingcobra52
DDR method:

The above area would be filled in with a pentagon based on these 5 factors:

Stream: Overall density
Chaos: degree of irregularity/complexity
Freeze: Number of freeze arrows
Air: Number of jumps
Voltage: degree of maximum density

I think it would be possible to implement something similar to this into osu!, but it'd require a bit of thinking. The star-based system we have now is based on an algorithm which could provide some ideas (I think the main factor involves the # of beats within a time-frame or something like that), but here's several factors I can think of that makes a map hard in osu:

-Number of beats with respect to length of the song (maybe apply Stream above and have an average number of beats per minute or so)
-Jumps (distance between notes with respect to time between them)
-Number and length of spinners
-Complex patterns (this would be a bit difficult to implement though :\)
-Difficulty settings under Song Setup (hp drain, circle size, and overall)

Have an impact, but not as much as above:

-Slider velocity
-Drain time (how much of the map is composed of breaks and how much is spent playing)

All I can think of for now, but I'm sure there's other factors. Point being though, these would be the osu! equivalents to the ddr example above.

Also note that it doesn't have to be a polygonal shape. Maybe these factors can also be under a star-based system, similar to how difficulty works now and have it displayed on song select. (though it may look confusing)

Let me know what you think.

tl;dr: Find the 5 or so most contributing things that make an osu! map hard, make a graphical representation of it, add it to song select. :D
LuigiHann
I've always found that style of chart to be really dumb and bad. Why not just use a bar graph?

Also, I don't think there's space for anything along these lines on the song select menu. Possibly on the website's info pages, though, it could work.
RemmyX25
Wasn't this already requested a long while back?
Gemi
Fist of all this:

LuigiHann wrote:

I've always found that style of chart to be really dumb and bad. Why not just use a bar graph?
Secondly, this isn't really useful. On hard songs the bars are maxed out, on easy songs they aren't. The information that is easy to show like number of spinners, sliders, etc is already shown. The rest is basically just stats which get higher when the map difficulty gets higher. I've never really looked at the graph in StepMania/DDR for that reason and don't know anyone who does, because it's utterly useless in 99% of the cases.