forum

[Proposal - STD] Add guideline for maximum SV for Easy diffs

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Yahuri
the following is currently under the guidelines for lowest diff Normal:
"Avoid slider velocity above 1.3x."
it seems odd that lowest diff Normal has a maximum SV guideline but Easy doesn't.
i propose adding this same guideline to the Easy section; though the multiplier could be reduced if necessary.
prowindexdrinkr
Makes sense, +1.
aiq
i believe you shouldn't normally use SVs on easies, even if extremely minor - which is probably the reason why that guideline wasn't even there in the first place
Topic Starter
Yahuri

Aiq wrote:

i believe you shouldn't normally use SVs on easies, even if extremely minor - which is probably the reason why that guideline wasn't even there in the first place
I believe the guideline means that base SV cannot exceed 1.3 at 1.0x multiplier (or any combination which results in the same overall speed). If my interpretation is wrong then the current guideline should be reworded.

SV is required for all maps, SV changes (which you are referring to) are not.
clayton
the "x" means it's a multiplier, doesn't it? wouldn't really make sense to limit the calculated SV as the speed the player moves their cursor is dependent on BPM too. regardless, it should be reworded to prevent the confusion here. we can dig back to when this was originally added to see what the authors intended

seems reasonable to me to copy it down to Easy as well :+1:
Topic Starter
Yahuri

clayton wrote:

the "x" means it's a multiplier, doesn't it? wouldn't really make sense to limit the calculated SV as the speed the player moves their cursor is dependent on BPM too. regardless, it should be reworded to prevent the confusion here. we can dig back to when this was originally added to see what the authors intended

seems reasonable to me to copy it down to Easy as well :+1:
Since 180bpm is the standard for everything in the RC I think this is fine? You just have to do some extra math if you need to figure out if something is too fast/could go faster
aiq

Yahuri wrote:

SV is required for all maps, SV changes (which you are referring to) are not.
holy fuck i am actually stupid

yeah, in this case, +1
Serizawa Haruki
Agreed, I think a limit of 1.2 makes sense for Easy diffs.

Btw, clayton is right about removing the "x" because it depends on the base SV too, not only the multiplier. For example, if the base SV is 2.0, a multiplier of 1.2x would result in a SV of 2.4.
Topic Starter
Yahuri

Serizawa Haruki wrote:

Agreed, I think a limit of 1.2 makes sense for Easy diffs.

Btw, clayton is right about removing the "x" because it depends on the base SV too, not only the multiplier. For example, if the base SV is 2.0, a multiplier of 1.2x would result in a SV of 2.4.
i think that clayton meant base SV is also a multiplier. if you use 1.0 base SV with 1.0x multiplier on a 100bpm map vs. a 200bpm map, the first one moves slower.

removing the x would make the guideline more clear since base SV doesn't have an x next to it in the editor tho, yea
Noffy
I think this makes sense to cover an existing hole that is "logically" there but not explicitly covered. Also we'll fix the multiplier thing as well.

PR: https://github.com/ppy/osu-wiki/pull/5774

E: Is Merged!