forum

Abolish post count [Rejected]

posted
Total Posts

Should the post count be removed from user profiles?

Yes, remove it
16.95%
No, keep it
83.05%
Total votes: 59
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
show more
awp
I love my post count it is what I use to measure my worth as a human being.

If it makes things easier on the Database - easier enough to be worth the lack of information, then I don't mind. Everyone knows I'm a bigger post-whore than peppy anyhow.
peppy
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
qlum
I don't like post count because it discriminate users with few post and makes users post just to get more posts.in osu there are also other factors to indicate experience but still users whit less tan 100 posts are still taken less serious
KawaiiLily
I say keep em...

For me it means (HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A MEMBER OF THE FORUM) xd

Like how much you post, if your active etc.......
Topic Starter
anonymous_old

Daniellynet wrote:

I say keep em...

For me it means (HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A MEMBER OF THE FORUM) xd

Like how much you post, if your active etc.......
Should we add an IRC line count for those who are active only on IRC?

@awp, Indexing handles COUNT(*) queries quite nicely [citation-needed]. Just hope peppy has an index set up on poster_id or whatever. =]
Ryohan
IMHO posts count is main reason of flaming on forum D: Say NO for flame xD
peppy

strager wrote:

@awp, Indexing handles COUNT(*) queries quite nicely [citation-needed]. Just hope peppy has an index set up on poster_id or whatever. =]
Not if you are using innodb. Besides, it is much faster to just store a counter and incrememnt manually - you should NEVER rely on a count(*).
Gemi
Everyone always uses the "it discriminates users with low post counts" card at this point, but tbh I've never seen one forum ever where this has been a problem. Usually it's a good thing that new users can easily spot if the replies to their posts are by newer or older users.

I am against removing the post count, because it has it's uses and also becase it does not have any proven downsides. It's sort of a principle thing for me too.
LuigiHann
In some forums, people spam to get a higher post count, for some reason. That's why a lot of forums disable it.

Personally, I haven't seen that happen here much at all, most likely because we have actual scoreboards which provide more meaningful goals.

So I see no reason to disable the post count.
Gemi
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.

Download: Choucho - Authentic Symphony (TV Size) (zeroclover) [Kiri's Normal].osu
Gabi
Zatoichi
James
im the only one who spams here before. so i say no to this.
besides, i asked this ~7 months ago?
Zerostarry
Keep it D:
LuigiHann
phill_old
I only read posts by users with 1000+ posts. Consequentially I don't read my own posts and I like it this way.
kuwarudo
Ekaru
I pay attention to rank and how intelligent they seem more than post count, so I just voted 'no'.
Soaprman
I'm one to keep statistics for the sake of keeping statistics. Keep post count around. Maybe stop displaying it beside posts if people care that much.

Also, post to increase post count.
K2J
Post count helps tell people who's more involved in community, even if I personally rarely look at it. Since we've already got it, its not worth it, in my mind, to remove it.
Derekku

K2J wrote:

Post count helps tell people who's more involved in community, even if I personally rarely look at it. Since we've already got it, its not worth it, in my mind, to remove it.
This is just about how I feel. Sure, there's some people that post just to raise their post count, but you can usually tell who they are. ;)
KawaiiLily
The majority says no. :D
Yay. :P

I guess this suggestion is declined now.

btw. I'm posting WAY less now. More serious posting now.
Jinxy

Daniellynet wrote:

The majority says no. :D
Yay. :P

I guess this suggestion is declined now.

btw. I'm posting WAY less now. More serious posting now.
Good for you, and the whole Random Forums. :D