forum

Guideline regarding sudden drops in hitsound volume

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
UberFazz
I've been seeing this happen quite a lot and I feel like it should be addressed. Volumes can be changed drastically within sections, sometimes even within connected patterns, and it creates a sudden lack of feedback that can throw off the player.

Not sure if this is just a personal problem but when I'm playing through a section and the volume goes from 90 to 60 (as an example) connected by 1/2 or 1/4 rhythms, it always throws me off and makes me think that I missed.

I'd like to propose a guideline regarding this issue:

1. Avoid unjustifiable reductions in hitsound volume. This can give a false impression of a miss because of a sudden drop in feedback.
A specific percentage/specific rhythm gaps can be defined if necessary, but I'd like to keep it vague for now. Any feedback regarding this would be really helpful.
realy0_
i don't really what's the problem here if the sudden drop in intensity in the song justifies the sudden reducion in volume ? it's only a concern if the volume reducion is too sudden if the music keeps it's intensity.

It would be already a concern if the volume is too low to give feedback to players as mentionned in this rule :
Hitsounds must be audible. Their purpose is to provide feedback, so hitsounds with extremely low volume or samples that blend with a song's samples are unacceptable. Specific game modes list exceptions to this rule on their respective ranking criteria.
Topic Starter
UberFazz
I've reworded the guideline to address this.

Here's an example of what I'm trying to avoid: beatmapsets/1091022#osu/2280910 01:46:987 (4) -

Please keep in mind that this is not restricting volume changes in general and is instead targeting huge changes in volume within sections.
Morrighan
I can't really see this guideline having that big of an impact, since it'll still be up to BN's interpretation what is and isn't "justified". It does give more justifiability to bring it up as an issue on QF maps, which could mean avoiding situations like the weird drop that you mentioned on beatmapsets/1091022#osu/2280910

So yeah while not very impactful it doesnt really hurt anything either to add it?
Topic Starter
UberFazz

Morrighan wrote:

I can't really see this guideline having that big of an impact, since it'll still be up to BN's interpretation what is and isn't "justified". It does give more justifiability to bring it up as an issue on QF maps, which could mean avoiding situations like the weird drop that you mentioned on beatmapsets/1091022#osu/2280910

So yeah while not very impactful it doesnt really hurt anything either to add it?
I've this happen more often than you'd expect and yeah, being able to DQ for this is one of the reasons I'd like to have it as a guideline (in addition to hopefully reducing the number of incidents like these in general).
Nao Tomori
you can already dq for it though. something doesnt have to be breaking a rc guideline to be dqable. i dont think this is a useful guideline cuz ppl hitsounding like this already think its justified (otherwise they wouldnt be hitsounding like this); they'd just say ok well i think it fits so im breaking this guideline and move on with life. it should just be up to the bns nominating the map not to nominate volume drops that are unfitting or damaging to gameplay.
Topic Starter
UberFazz

Nao Tomori wrote:

you can already dq for it though. something doesnt have to be breaking a rc guideline to be dqable. i dont think this is a useful guideline cuz ppl hitsounding like this already think its justified (otherwise they wouldnt be hitsounding like this); they'd just say ok well i think it fits so im breaking this guideline and move on with life. it should just be up to the bns nominating the map not to nominate volume drops that are unfitting or damaging to gameplay.
my idea is that people would pay more attention to it (both bns & mappers) if it was formally written down
Noffy
Issues in hitsound audibility is already covered in RC as mentioned in the thread. Outside of this it should be a quality issue as with other hitsounding techniques to be brought up for discussion in modding on the specific maps.

Archiving due to low activity + interest.