What's your real tablet playing area?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Speedsolver
Hello everyone,

I've always used full tablet area since everyone kept telling me it was the best and I should use it right from the start or I'd regret it later. I always felt like it wasn't the best way to go as I have to move my arm/hand around to reach the entire tablet area (the tablet is quite big) but I kept using it since I was advised to. However, I recently found out that the same people who told me to use full area were actually either using full area with osu! on a lower resolution than the screen (making their effective play area smaller), or a smaller tablet than mine. I tried a few songs with a smaller area and although I'm not used to it, I don't have to move my arm/hand around so jumps are much easier as I can leave my wrist in place..

With this, my question is: What is your REAL tablet playing area? What I mean with real tablet playing area is the dimension of the area on your tablet that is used by the game window, whether you use full area, portion, full-screen, or smaller resolutions. Basically, if you have to move 15 cms to the right and 10 cms down from the top-left position to cover the entire game area, your real tablet playing area is "15 x 10 cms" (or inches if you prefer).

I think this is an interesting question (especially for people with larger tablets), so I'd appreciate any answers.

Cheers.
JAKACHAN
5.8 in. x 3.6 in.

Around that.
Clyine
Full area, 1440x900.
Osu 1366x768.

^ doesnt really differ from fullscreen full area.
TakuMii
5.8 in x 3.2625 in
The Bamboo's area is 16:10 and my osu! window is 16:9, and I use full tablet area (locked aspect ratio). I also set my tablet's "screen area" limited to osu!'s window.
I play mostly with mouse though, so take my settings with a grain of salt.
(FYI my 400dpi mouse covers 3.415 in x 1.92 in at the resolution I use for osu!)
MashiroSymphony
1.5 cm x 1 cm :)
Tear
My area's about 1/4 of the original size, and playing in a 800x600 window in 1920x1080. Math time .-.

osu! gets a 3.4cm x 2.5cm rectangle :D (1.3in x 0.6in)
Amelia
5.3 in. x 3.6 in.
d777b
I measured the markings on my tablet and it seems to be roughly 3.5 inch by 3 inch. That's just the play area though. (the space where the notes appear). I also have a long line in the bottom left from dimming the background that extends another inch lol
RBRat3
18" x 12"
BRBP
Old image of what I used when I started. Playing fullscreen full area is impossible with some tablets.

With a Bamboo like CTL-470 you should use any resolution you find visually comfortable and set the full area to the osu! window instead of the whole screen.

Stuff like this may seem easier at first, but the previous is better in the long run.
buny
2inch x 1inch
theowest
depends on the tablet. most users are using the same tablet model and will post the same size, so I don't think this topic should be valued very much.

Bamboo pen CTL-460
~14.7cmx9.2cm

Most bamboo pen tablet have this size.
Hika
~4 inch by 6 inch
Almost
5cm x 3cm.
Topic Starter
Speedsolver
Thanks for taking the time everyone, this was very helpful. As I thought, my area was way too big.

BRBP wrote:

With a Bamboo like CTL-470 you should use any resolution you find visually comfortable and set the full area to the osu! window instead of the whole screen.
That's what I was doing (i.e. lower resolution than screen, but setting the region to the game screen only), but my tablet is larger than a CTL-470 so it doesn't work so well for me. I lowered my active area to the full area of a CTL-470 and it's much better. I'll probably keep it like this in case I ever get one.

theowest wrote:

depends on the tablet. most users are using the same tablet model and will post the same size, so I don't think this topic should be valued very much.
That's exactly why I created it. My tablet is larger than the usual so knowing the real dimensions does a lot more for me than knowing the screen size/resolution.

Also, really cool to see some people can play with areas as low as 1.5cm x 1cm. Sliders would kill me if I tried to play like that haha.