forum

[Archived] Hitsounds delay after Windows 20H2 update

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Praxiis
Problem details:

I semi-accidentaly did the Windows update this morning and have had audio issues ever since, with the only one I haven't been able to fix so far being the following : my osu! hitsounds now have a slight but really noticeable and annoying delay when playing which doesn't seem to be fixed with offsets. Note that every other piece of audio, whether sound effects or songs, are playing as normally as they should. Hitsounds really are the only issue here.
I was thinking my audio setup (using Voicemeeter banana) I had to reconfigure after the Windows update was causing this issue, but it occurs even when using another playback device.

Does anyone happen to know a fix to this ?

If not I'll just switch back to the previous Windows version, but I'm just asking so I can potentially relieve myself from the pain of having to sit in front of my computer for another 45min, waiting for that stupid update to install.

osu! version: latest stable version
Death
When you say you switched playback devices, does that just means you switched to not use Voicemeeter or did you actually switch the audio output device you are using (like changing to a different pair of headphones for example)?
Topic Starter
Praxiis
I switched the audio output device from Voicemeeter Input to my normal Headphones (plugged into my motherboard). Now that you mention it though, I just tried switching to not using Voicemeeter at all, and it seems to fix the issue. But why do I have this issue now when I simply did not have it before ?
Death
Hmm, I'm not really sure because I'm not familiar enough with Voicemeeter to know what sort of functionality it has. Maybe just general compatibility issues with it and the new Windows update? Or perhaps there is some setting that changed?

I don't know if I'll be a whole lot of help if you've determine this issue is specific to Voicemeeter.
Topic Starter
Praxiis
It's already nice that you've taken some of your time to answer me lmao, don't worry about it. I'll probably just switch back to the previous Windows version and pray it fixes it all up. Thank you either way !
8 Bit Summoner
Just a heads up, you're not the only one experiencing weird latency issues in 20H2 w/ Voicemeeter.

I'm using Voicemeeter Potato, and ever since updating Windows, osu! refuses to actually use the audio device I'm selecting. If I select my USB speakers (what I'm trying to use), it shows up as going through Voicemeeter.

If I tell Voicemeeter to no longer use my USB speakers as an output device and re-launch the game, it can use them like normal.

... After some more experimenting, turning off "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" seems to allow osu! to correctly use the speakers, even while they're selected in Voicemeeter. Maybe try playing with those settings.