forum

New User Thread Count++

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Dae314
Hello o/

I realize now that I probably should've started here instead of in the feature request forum >.> I was just so tied up in the mapping stuff at the top of the forum I forgot to look below for an introduction subforum :P.

Anyway, what goes here? (TL;DR below)

I was introduced to osu through another forum I used to frequent, but at the time I didn't enjoy it much (had a crappy mouse). Fast forward a few years and I'm playing more games on PC, notably for osu, some first person shooters. I decided my aim sucked and I wanted to improve my mouse control. When I looked at stuff like http://aim400kg.ru/en/ I was willing to try it out, but after a month or so I got really bored of the training >.>. I was training for a game, I wanted it to be fun like the game itself would be fun. So I reached back into the recesses of my memory and came out with osu. Lots of quick snap aiming and even sliders to practice keeping the mouse on target! I can play songs up to hard difficulty now (can't touch insane yet :P), and I've improved my game a lot in the FPS's I play ^^.

Outside of the virtual world (wait there's an outside???) I'm a computer science major, and I think I'm a bit on the more odd-ball side of that sphere as well since I fall in love with basically anything on the computer. Most of the practical stuff I taught myself, but I also value the awesome theoretical basis I learned from my major. I don't just program though, I also work tech support doing anything from basic troubleshooting to organizing major OS deployments for companies. I advise people building computers on what they should buy through bit-tech threads and my own hardware guide that I update regularly. Although I suck at art in real life, I think I do fairly well with the stuff I make on GIMP and the little I know about inkscape. I'm also teaching myself how to use Blender to do some 3D modeling and animation :).

TL;DR I'm pretty much a techie inside and out, but I still have a lot to learn before I can be considered an expert in more than a couple subjects.

Nice to meet you all, and I hope we get along! Especially you modders who I don't know yet but will get to know soon when I finish mapping the song I'm mapping >.>.
Kanye West
Knew you were CS as soon as I saw the title, lol.

Welcome welcome.
Aoriki
Welcome and looking forward to the song your mapping.
Twaintoss
Welcome welcome.

I would put a link to your Map in your Signature (the time it's finished).
This way there may be more people looking into it.
Topic Starter
Dae314
Thanks for the tip ^^. I hadn't thought of that, but like you said, it sounds like a good idea. I haven't had much time to work on the song recently because school's ending and that means final projects/exams/cram-work by disorganized teachers.

When I finally got a bit of time to work on the song, Osu popped up with its usual little hint thing-a-ma-jig, but this time that little hint changed my world. It went something along the lines of "to hit fast beats, try using a mixture of click/right-click/space/z/etc.". I just had to try it, and after half an hour of practicing I was able to beat songs I could never touch before because they had long strings of incredibly fast notes that I could never click fast enough to hit! Basically burned all my editing time on learning a new technique ^^;

Also, just so I'm not all mysterious about it (because this wasn't supposed to be a surprise), I'm in the process of mapping the first video from the There She Is series. I found some already approved maps for it, but no ranked. I found a couple other songs from the series already made too, but I really wanna make a complete five beatmap set with the videos and audio I extracted. For this first song, the timing is probably a little off because I got to read the timing tutorial post AFTER I already set the timing on the first map T_T, but hopefully that can be fixed later.
Kunieda
Welcome~
My Dearest_old
Welcome you~